Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help with choice of home network

942 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  PSForgetti 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've recently been experiencing issues with my internet connectivity that's made me look into my hardware. I often play online games on my PS4 and over the past 4-5 months, I frequently drop out of chats (which never happened before) but never get dropped from the game. I currently rent my modem/router combo from my ISP and am supposed to get up to 150 Mbps d/l and 10 Mbps u/l speeds over 4G and 5G, and that's recently being reduced to one tenth frequently as well. I've been suggested to consider port forwarding for my PS4 but since it's wired, its use seems to be questionable. Given the information below, what would you suggest?

Current setup:
Modem/router combo (rented from ISP)
PS4 and PS3 are wired but never used at the same time
95% of the time, the only things being used at once are the PS4 and my laptop (wireless), along with my cell phone nearby.
The other 5% of the time, I would have another laptop in use (when family visits) and VERY rarely 2 laptops.
Range on cells phones is also spotty when considering bedrooms in the opposite corner of the house (with modem/router in one corner on the main floor, and bedrooms in the opposite corner on the 2nd floor).

What I'm considering, given my limited knowledge:
Rent a separate and dedicated modem from my ISP
Buy a good router (possibly the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 AC1900 with Netgear N300 WiFi range extender)
Continue wired connection to PS4 and PS3

Do you think this would answer my needs? Ideally, I'd like the following to run without issues:
PS4 or PS3
2-3 laptops
2-3 modern cell phones

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
The wireless connectivity issues simply sound like typical wifi issues. In this case, sounds like a signal issue, either distance from router (most likely) or interference. It may or may not be an issue with the current router. But there is no harm in upgrading. Depending on your ISP, it will likely save you some money as well by replacing the modem/router with a simple modem.

Aside from the wifi issues, pretty much any current router can handle many more devices simultaneously than you are currently planing to use. I have about a dozen on my router at any given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.