Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

HELP - wireless keeps failing but connection is good?

This is a discussion on HELP - wireless keeps failing but connection is good? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I tried posting this in the cisco forums to get support, i've seen other peoples threads go answered but no

Old 11-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

I tried posting this in the cisco forums to get support, i've seen other peoples threads go answered but no replies to mine, figured I would give this forum a shot in hops someone can help.

So I have a WRT54G v8 wireless router, The problem is the wireless connection, computers hard wired into the router have internet connectivity but all of my wireless devices can't connect.

What will happen is the following: I will have wireless connectivity, then all of a sudden every device will stop working and the wireless connection will fail. I can see the router to connect to it but when I try to connect I get "unable to join the network", I am trying to connect wirelessly with 2iPhones, an ipod, a LG android phone, and an xbox. Every single device stops working at the same time and the only way to get the wireless to work again is by unplugging the router and killing the power and restarting it.

I upgraded to the latest router firmware earlier today when the connection wasn't working, and then it went online so I was hoping that, that fixed the problem. I left the house for a few hours and come back and the wireless is dead again, so its obviously another problem.

I am really out of ideas on what the problem could be, besides it just being a defective router. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I tried going into the router confining page on my computer to try to restart the router there, so I don't have to keep unplugging it every 5-10-15 minutes or how ever long it is until the connection drops but When I go into the status tab and DHCP release / DHCP renew it doesn't do anything (almost as though it doesn't restart anything). I know that on other routers when you restart the router in this way it actually restarts the router, is there an option I'm not seeing that can do this?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Management Team Networking

Usually there is a "reboot" button. Renewing the wan ip has not effect on rebooting the router.

might want to download xirrus wifi inspector and view what channels in your area are being used so you can set your wifi channel to one that is not being used.

Though what you describe sounds like a defective router to me. You have already done the firmware update so nothing left to do in this regard.

Wand3r3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I don't have wifi on my computer so I don't think I can run the xirrus wifi inspector? Unless they have an iphone app I think the next step is to just get a new router? I just don't know why the wired internet would work but the wifi constantly fails and requires the router to be manually unplugged and plugged back in.

Could it possibly be something that needs to be set up within the router? or maybe a way to trouble shoot some settings to see if I can just band aid the problem?

thanks again.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi Marino,

What's the Make and Model of the Modem that you are using?
Just wondering if your Modem is also a Router or Gateway that provides both wired and wireless internet connection.

Also, who is your ISP?

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

its a linksys WRT54G V8, and its shaw internet (canada).
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
2xg

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino.bv View Post
its a linksys WRT54G V8, and its shaw internet (canada).
Where is this Linksys router plug into?
Modem=> Router=> Computers

It looks like that you will need to do Mac Cloning. Here's an entire guide on how to connect your Linksys to the Modem and also how to do the Mac cloning.
Setting up Shaw High and Lite Speed Internet with a Linksys Router

An update will be appreciated.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

the modem is plugged right into the router, and there are a few computers plugged into the router, the thing is that all of the computers hard wired connections work fine, the wifi will work but then shortly the wifi ONLY will fail until the router is unplugged and plugged back in --- the whole time the hard wired connection is still up and running. not sure if that matters or not.

thanks!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

also on the cisco site they are telling me to do the following but I really don't think this will fix the issue, I'm debating if I can fix it or if I need to just go get a brand new router.
Quote:
Well after updating with the latest firmware it is recommended to reset the router.

Steps to reset the router:
Push the reset button on router for 30 seconds, turn off the router wait for 30 seconds and then power it on. Power light should blink when you perform the reset process.

Then you can do the following steps:

For DSL Connection:
Knowledge Portal Access Page...

For Cable Connection:
Knowledge Portal Access Page...

As far as the wireless is concern:
# Open up the browser and on the address bar type 192.168.1.1 that will open up the Router setup page.
# Then Click on wireless Tab create the Wireless Network Name SSID and select the Channel Width to 20 MHz and Standard channel to 6, 9, and 11. Click Save Settings.
# Then Click on Wireless Security sub tab and select the security mode and provide the password as per the requirement. Click Save Settings.

Secondly avoid using any other wireless devices like cordless phones, microwave oven etc nearer to the router. Then check the wireless connectivity.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
2xg

I think that you might have missed out something in Post# 6.
Please follow the link it might help.

Also, from you previous post, this needs to be done in order for you to have a wireless connectivity.
Quote:
# Open up the browser and on the address bar type 192.168.1.1 that will open up the Router setup page.
# Then Click on wireless Tab create the Wireless Network Name SSID and select the Channel Width to 20 MHz and Standard channel to 6, 9, and 11. Click Save Settings.
# Then Click on Wireless Security sub tab and select the security mode and provide the password as per the requirement. Click Save Settings.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'm not sure what I missed?

Quote:
Where is this Linksys router plug into?
Modem=> Router=> Computers

It looks like that you will need to do Mac Cloning. Here's an entire guide on how to connect your Linksys to the Modem and also how to do the Mac cloning.

An update will be appreciated.
The modem is plugged into the router and the router plugs into a computer

I did quickly go and do the Mac cloning, maybe it will fix the problem?

Also the following has already been done, everything has been set up and works, its just that randomly the wifi fails while LAN connections still work.

Quote:
Sorry if I missed something, thank you for all of your help troubleshooting the problem!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
2xg

The guide on how to setup your Router and how to do the Mac cloning?

Quote:

Old 11-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

Ahhhh yeah I gotcha... Well its my girlfriends router at her house, I've just been trying to figure out whats wrong with it. It was already configured before, but the Mac cloning was never done (the internet still worked). So what I ended up just doing was hard resetting the router and re-configuring it from scratch. It disconnects so frequently that I will know if any and all of the above actually helped to fix the problem or if the router is just crap and needs to be replaced.

thank you for all your help
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

So even after everything done it happened again and the wifi went out again
Old 11-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
2xg

Might be interference. Is there a way that you could give us the Xirrus snap shot from any problematic wireless computer?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
Registered Member

I had enough of the router, its old and everything in my opinion leads me to believe it was no good anymore. Went and bought a new netgear router - for sure I will know if its a router problem if this one has no problems.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
2xg

Let's hope that the Netgear works out well. Please keep us posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino.bv View Post
I had enough of the router, its old and everything in my opinion leads me to believe it was no good anymore. Went and bought a new netgear router - for sure I will know if its a router problem if this one has no problems.