Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardwiring

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  netnerd03 
#1 ·
This is a question regarding connecting a device (ps4) to my modem. The question I have is that I'm trying to hardwire my Playstation 4 directly to my modem, this gives me the best connection for online gaming. I can do this, and it works fine, but I must sacrifice wifi while doing this, so nobody else in my apartment can use wifi while I'm hardwired to my modem. Since my modem only has one ethernet port, I purchased an Ethernet splitter in hopes that I could still hardwire my PS4 to my modem, but then use the extra port from the splitter to still connect the router to the modem thus leaving the wifi signal up and running. This doesn't seem to work. If I connect my PS4 to splitter to modem, it works, but then when I try to also run an ethernet from the splitter to the router, this is where I run into problems.

Is this just not possible, or is there something I'm doing wrong with settings? Thank you in advance for any help.

#5 ·
I'm saying hardwiring to the modem gives me the best connection online for my PS4 gaming.
This would be expected as the PS4 is the only device connected to the service. The splitter will allow you to connect a second device, but the modem will accept a connection from only one at a time. If you require internet service for more than one device at a time, you must have a router in place.

#8 ·
Have you tried purchasing 2 IP from your cable internet provider or DSL company. You can ask them to provide you with 2 IP addresses usually done for business accounts this would give you the option to plug in a 2nd modem and then you can go wifi with it and that way your not pushing your bandwidth out to other users as well. I mean if your sharing it make your buddies split the cost with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.