Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Good internet speeds but timeouts in applications

This is a discussion on Good internet speeds but timeouts in applications within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am connected via a Wi-Fi adapter to a router I don't really have access to (neighbor's) - from what

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am connected via a Wi-Fi adapter to a router I don't really have access to (neighbor's) - from what I've been told it's basically default settings, no QoS hacks to prioritize someone else etc.

I have an issue with online games (Rocket League, Path of Exile, ...), where sometimes I can't even connect to the matchmaking servers etc., sometimes I get in a game but have ridiculous lag spikes and sometimes I can play just fine with like 10 ms latency for an hour.

In case of the complete lockout, if I leave "ping -t google.com" running it looks like:
10ms
10ms (launch / alt tab into the game)
Time out
Time out
Time out
400ms (exit / alt tab out of the game)
10ms
10ms
The weird thing is, when I do literally anything else than gaming, that takes a lot of bandwidth (i.e. run speedtest.net), ping looks like this:
10ms
10ms
100ms (Start test)
150ms
200ms
200ms
100ms (End test)
10ms
10ms
..and everything is fine.

So I thought, logically, maybe the router hates some TCP / UDP packets, I don't know. Ran through a VPN and the same thing happened (with higher latencies of course).

I've tried multiple wifi hacks like:
netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wi-Fi"
or TCPNoDelay in registry. Both helped eliminate a lag spike that occured about every 10th ping. But the issue above is unchanged.

I am clueless at this point.

Speedtest:
4 ms, 27.95 Mbps down, 9.96 Mbps up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking

Quote:
I am connected via a Wi-Fi adapter to a router I don't really have access to (neighbor's)
we will not assist , please see our rules
this is stealing

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] PC Won't Boot After Cleaning
Hello all. I have a problem with my Windows 10 PC. Please bare with me with my long explanation. Please read and help. Every three months I open it up to clean it out with a can of compressed air. Today I did this and also replaced the optical drive as it had been acting up for a while where I...
Techie19 Windows 10 Support 38 12-07-2016 02:31 AM
Drive-by Download Site Infection(s)?
Hi, I have been asked by my neighbour to take a look at her laptop. From what she has told me, she was using the laptop when a 'chat window' popped open that had some guy in it claiming to be there to provide IT support. He apparently connected remotely to the machine and did who knows what. He...
mev Inactive Malware Help Topics 11 07-24-2015 07:07 PM
url:mal virus
I am in need of expert assistance in removal the nemesis virus "url:mal" . I've also seen pop up from Avast blocking "url:mal2". I tried running gmr and something prevents it from completion, so I'm not sure if it will give you the data you need:sad: Thanks in advance.:bang head: Dell...
Larry Crooms Resolved HJT Threads 35 01-14-2014 04:16 AM
FBI.Cybercrime lock-out
Hello and thank you in advance for helping me. I am locked out of my computer with a notice from "FBI.Cybercrime" to pay a fine or the FBI will be here to haul me off to prison. I received a suggestion that through Bleeping Computers I would find the instructions to follow for self help removal...
Cathy95820 Resolved HJT Threads 34 05-06-2013 03:49 AM
Help with removing trojan please
Hello, I have followed the instructions, and have all required logs, all attached and pasted as requested. I do not have a boot disk as although the computer has a licensed copy it was not initially my computer. Data as requested
SimonAJ Resolved HJT Threads 29 01-04-2012 10:19 AM