Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Gigaset SE361 wireless router problem, please help!

This is a discussion on Gigaset SE361 wireless router problem, please help! within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! First time poster here, i'd like to ask your support on an issue i've been experiencing with a Gigaset

Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello! First time poster here, i'd like to ask your support on an issue i've been experiencing with a Gigaset SE361 router. I've recently bought a laptop and the respective router, wanting to connect my PC through a lan cable, and my laptop wirelessly.

The problem is neither of the computers can access the internet through the router. I've configured my (static) ip's and DNS's, both computers tell me they can connect, both can access the router settings, and they can both see (and transfer information between) eachother over the network. After getting support on a local IT forum, letting me know that this particular router has a firmware problem, something about some log files overflowing and DNS's not being able to autodetect themselves, i've finally managed to connect to the internet by setting the DNS addresses on each individual computer, instead of telling the router to do it for me.

Problem is, after a few hours in which it worked perfectly fine on both computers, i've plugged it out and back in again, and i'm encountering the same problem: there is almost no internet traffic to speak of on either computer, only a few bytes of data going through, barely managing to refresh a website over the course of 10-15 minutes.

I don't understand why, with the same settings on which it worked perfectly, my router stopped functioning after unplugging and replugging. The only difference is that, now, pinging google gets me an IP address, leading me to believe that, at the very least, the DNS settings i've done were a step in the right direction. I've turned off all firewalls that could block traffic, i've set the router to clone the MAC of the network card in my pc, the one i've been previously running on, and the connection works perfectly once i plug the wire out of the router and into my ethernet adapter. My PC is running Windows XP SP2, and my laptop came with Vista Home Premium.

Please help me out, if you've got any kind of experience or advice to share! I've been struggling with getting my router to work for over a week, it's driving me crazy!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Well, offhand, I'd update the firmware from this page: http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,193...0.html#content

Next, I'd reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure, then see if it will work better.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread