Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Getting WiFi to Basement

This is a discussion on Getting WiFi to Basement within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. We have a decent wireless network set up here with 2 PC's on the 3rd floor connected to a D-Link

Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

We have a decent wireless network set up here with 2 PC's on the 3rd floor connected to a D-Link wireless Router. Also, a Mac iBook laptop is used and works pretty much around the house with the WiFi Signal.

The issue we're trying to resolve is getting a (Windows ME) computer in our basement onto the network via WiFi. I installed a WiFi adapter card from Trendnet into it, but it's had some problems installing. The basement also has all sorts of insulation right above where the computer is, so that is probably blocking some of the signal out.

What would people recommend using to boost the signal? I've seen the USB plug-ins for WiFi, but not sure that would do the trick. Some sort of booster antenna, or something else? Would you connect the booster to the router or the PC in the basement?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/help!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I always try to boost the router first, since that will improve the situation for all the wireless connections. Then I look to the individual computers after that.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

You may have to re-orient your antennas a bit, both router and on the basement PC.

Radiated signals aren't really spherical, like a globe. It's more like a disc, or a galaxy, with the router antenna at the center (and if it spins, it spins around the antenna). You need to position the router antenna so the disc can connect with the PC. And you need to orient the PC antenna so it is parallel to the router antenna so it can catch as much of that disc as it can. Putting the antennas parallel to the floor is probably your best bet.

Alternatively, you might consider a powerline Ethernet (also known as Homeplug devices). This might be the proper niche for that kind of technology.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks johnwill and grue155 you've both provided me great information to consider for this...much appreciated! :)