Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Frustrating Netflix streaming - poor wireless router signal strength?

This is a discussion on Frustrating Netflix streaming - poor wireless router signal strength? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi - I have a wireless network in my home, mainly for internet access via any of the 3 or

Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi -

I have a wireless network in my home, mainly for internet access via any of the 3 or 4 machines we may be using. Normally, there's not a problem with normal surfing, email checking, youtube, etc.

My wireless router is a Linksys WRT300N, and the wireless adapter card in my desktop is a D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G510 Wireless PCI Adapter. In my previous home, the router was in the very same room as my desktop, and had no problems to speak of with this setup streaming Netflix. Now, however, I'm set up in an older home, and the router is removed from my desktop by a few walls and tight rooms. I've noticed that my network status icon on the bottom right of my desktop seems to always show "Signal Strength: Very Low".

I like to use my desktop sometimes to stream Netflix. My Netflix streaming sometimes goes OK, but typically it just freezes and shows the Loading bar, and sometimes doesn't really start back. It is so bad sometimes, that I am not willing to wait it out, because I know from this experience that even if it starts back up, it will just freeze again. The video is not downloading and caching fast enough.

I don't really want to test it by moving my pc into a closer room, cuz I was hoping someone else has seen this, and maybe my wireless router just needs to be upgraded for better signal strength. It seems like an easy call, but am not sure.

Thanks for any help.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

the router is too far away with too much between it and the computer. you either need to move it closer or purchase extenders

Old 03-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

yes, thank you. this is the response I expected. However, how does my wireless router rank in terms of strength of signal? could the problem be solved by purchasing a better one? I guess its pretty obvious what the job of the extender is, but how does it hook up? is it a wall plugin thing? is it kinda like a repeater to boost the signal? would that affect streaming speed itself?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Certifiable Lazy Bum

exenders, repeaters generally does the same thing. dont know if a newer router would help or not, depends upon the makeup of the walls, the wiring within them and any other electronic appliance between it and the desktop.

one other possibility is you can try using your electrical outlets and wiring as part of the network.
Why - Setup a power-line network - Home office - CNET.com Digital Home - CNET.com
Old 03-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ok, thanks again for the info. Seems like your solution is a preferred one for this common issue, according to the googling I've done. Thanks for nailing it.

The only other thing I can think of is figuring out where to place the extender. Does it need to go roughly in between (distance-wise) the router and the problem desktop, or can I just put it near my desktop?
Old 03-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhgreene View Post
Ok, thanks again for the info. Seems like your solution is a preferred one for this common issue, according to the googling I've done. Thanks for nailing it.

The only other thing I can think of is figuring out where to place the extender. Does it need to go roughly in between (distance-wise) the router and the problem desktop, or can I just put it near my desktop?
It would have to be between the two but it would also be something you may have to play around with to get the best signal. One thing, too close to the desktop would be counter productive.

Gear in this thread