Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Frequently dropped internet connection

This is a discussion on Frequently dropped internet connection within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have DSL through Qwest. My modem is a brand new ZyXEL PK5000Z. My router is a brand new Asus

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have DSL through Qwest. My modem is a brand new ZyXEL PK5000Z. My router is a brand new Asus RT-N12. My connection frequently drops. Without warning, I will just lose connection and the modem retrains. This occurs anywhere from 3 to 100 times in a day. I make a living playing online poker, and when I drop my hand is folded. This has led to me not being able to work, costing me thousands of dollars.

Qwest tech support has been trying to fix it for the last month. We've replaced the modem twice, replaced the router, redone the house wiring, checked for bridge-tap, replaced the entire line from my house to the local servers, replaced the port I'm on and moved me to a low traffic port, etc. The local repair guy told me that they've literally replaced everything they can physically replace. After being checked by their Tier 2 technicians, the problem has been moved onto Tier 3, where they've been having discussions on what the problem may be. While I trust that Qwest is doing what they can, this problem is effectively losing me potential income on a daily basis. I've come here for people with any ideas, however off the wall they may be.

Estimated Loop Length: 15734 feet

One of the mysteries so far is the modem occasionally has the power light turn orange, followed by a reboot. This of course leads to a dropped connection for a period of roughly a minute or more. The technicians were not familiar with this problem, and had never heard of it before.

This doesn't appear to be the entire problem, however, as the power indicator has only turned orange perhaps 6-12 times that I recall, whereas the connection has retrained perhaps several hundred times over the last month.

It was at one point thought that perhaps my electrical wiring was unstable, and power fluctuation was causing the modem to reset. I've since had a brand new modem (the aforementioned PK5000Z) plugged into a CyberPower 1000AVR backup battery, effectively isolating it entirely from the electrical grid, and the problems still persist.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

if qwest has been working on it for a month and elevated it to tier 3 and still no resolution, i'd bug them, a lot :)

Old 09-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hello,

Perhaps, if there's an option to find another ISP in your location and you're not tied up to a contract I would find another ISP that has great Customer Service support. For now, keep on buggin' them 'til they resolves the issue. I have Charter and I've had issues with our internet connectivity same as yours. Tried to troubleshoot it on my own and it didn't work, then I called Charter's Support and they came out to my house, it turned out to be some cabling issue that took them maybe a couple of hours to get it fixed.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

yes, it seem obvious that QWest feels there is something more they need to do, hurry up already and get the right guy to the door, with QWest that can take a month, keep on em! :)
Old 09-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendale View Post
if qwest has been working on it for a month and elevated it to tier 3 and still no resolution, i'd bug them, a lot :)
Haha. Yeah, I've called them daily. Maybe I should ask them about refunding me the last month of a useless connection. Somehow I doubt that I can really threaten them with money, however, seeing as they've already spent thousands of dollars trying to fix the issue.

I'll see if I can bug them enough tho :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hello,

Perhaps, if there's an option to find another ISP in your location and you're not tied up to a contract I would find another ISP that has great Customer Service support. For now, keep on buggin' them 'til they resolves the issue. I have Charter and I've had issues with our internet connectivity same as yours. Tried to troubleshoot it on my own and it didn't work, then I called Charter's Support and they came out to my house, it turned out to be some cabling issue that took them maybe a couple of hours to get it fixed.
I live in the small town of Socorro, NM, population ~8000. I think Qwest is the only ISP, but I'll look around. Thanks for the thought, if anyone else is available in the area I'll definitely sign up.

As for having people come to my house, multiple technicians have been here on several occasions. In one instance, the technician actually sat around my house for a couple hours watching the modem and running tests every time the connection reset.

I just got a really funky idea from another forum suggesting that my computer was somehow sending surges through my ethernet cable back to the modem and resetting it, so I just switched to a wireless adapter. We'll see if that helps *fingers crossed* :)

Like I said, looking for any weird ideas or possibilities :)
Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Is your router's firmware current? You might want to check it out and download the latest one from the manufacturer's site.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

hello, yes knew they had come, but still did not fix it :)

QWest would have tested DSL without your Ethernet hooked up

could be a hardware problem in that area, but there must be more to it on there end or they would have closed the case by now