Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faceplate type

613 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Confounded Also 
#1 ·
Hi, i have some dual rj45 faceplates in my house and i need to know if they are cat5 or cat5e. i have opened them up and cant find any markings inside or outside on the plate itself...is there any way i can determine please.??

Basically this is my setup

I have cat5e cables running in the house all 4 years old high quality, gigabit hardware such as modem, switch, router, wifi access points and so on. Link marking on switch shows a green color indicating its gigabit speed for all connected cables

Funny thing is that when i transfer a file to and from my pc via gigabit etherneth to my gigabit nas filetransfer rate is an average of 10mega bytes per second indicate a 10/100 link... it should be at least 50/60 to and from a mechanichal drive

Also app patch cables are cat5e and cat6 and therefore my last peice of the puzzle are the wall plates that i have no record of when pirchased quite some years ago and as mentioned they have no markings on them whatsover.. any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ryan

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, if they're not marked, they could even be Cat 3, but I'm not sure that should make much of a difference. Transfer speed can be dependent on a number of things and the cables and jacks may not have much effect overall.

Remember that most home installations will never even come close to 'certified' installations where cable routing and method of connection are considered. Data cables near or crossing electrical cables for example will have an effect. So will HOW the jacks are installed - too much insulation stripped, pairs untwisted too far, etc.

It may also be the machines involved and other simultaneous operations that cause slowdowns.

Keystone jacks are fairly inexpensive if you wanted to try replacing a few, but I'm really not sure they'll make a significant difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.