Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Does a wireless router have to be next to the modem on a wired network?

This is a discussion on Does a wireless router have to be next to the modem on a wired network? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just got a new Belkin N1 Vision wireless router to share our wired network's internet connection. I was under the

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Just got a new Belkin N1 Vision wireless router to share our wired network's internet connection. I was under the impression that you could have the router set up off any one of the pc's on a network. Does it have to go through the modem first? Or did I get the wrong hardware? The thing is that the server with the modem is on the other side of the building and I know the signal would be very weak where I need it if I had to have the router over there.
THanks

Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

*Latest* Instead of using the "Modem In" port on the router, I used two of the other four ports that say "to wired computers". So I've got the network cable that originally went into this pc now plugged into the router and another then going back to the pc. Now I can access the network and the internet. But the Belkin "Easy Setup" card says to open an internet browser and type in routersetup and it should pop up...nothing happens. Before this, I called Belkin and they said that the router had to first go through the modem, hence my first post. But now, I'm encouraged that this can work if I can get it set up. Does this sound possible?

Old 08-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

The router WAN/Internet port MUST be connected to the modem. However, you can run an Ethernet cable to the modem, no reason they have to be together.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 08-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

So I guess it's just acting as a hub now, and not atually able to broadcast a wireless signal since there's nothing going into the 'modem' port? What is the difference between this and an access point?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Not much difference if you're not using the routing function.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Closed Thread