Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

do usb to ethernet adapters work in routers?

This is a discussion on do usb to ethernet adapters work in routers? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am still working on trying to run my Belkin router as an access point. I always have trouble with

Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am still working on trying to run my Belkin router as an access point. I always have trouble with it though, as once I set up an IP then the original no longer works and neither does the new one I set.
My router is a Belkin N+ f5d8235-4 v2000

My internet connection is AT&T dsl and for my modem/household router I use a Netgear model DGN2200.

my dell latitude E6500 internal card is only a G card and has gone out anyway so I use a belkin usb wireless adapter to network with my netgear. I also have a linksys usb wireless card that I try to use for my belkin. A few times I can get it set up via ethernet and it will work until I shut down and restart, however no matter what I can never get into the hard drive in the belkin storage.

So what I am wondering now, if I ever get it to set up, is if after hooking up multiple hard drives via a usb router if that can hook into one of the lan jacks with an adapter and be accessible? It has just been getting annoying having external drives all around me as I now have 7 up and running.and have a few more to go. I am also going to ask the dell tech tomorrow as he is coming by to replace my card.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

If they are USB Ext hard drives then the answer to your question is no they cannot be connected to the Belkin access point as they canot receive an ip address from the belkin they are designed to be attached to the USB port of your computers.

If you set up files sharing with homegroup with windows 7 then you should be able to put the drives into the shared folder and have access between computers that are part of the homegroup.

Below is a tutroial on files sharing and how to:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ls-561869.html

Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

The routers themselves are wireless with 4 ethernet lan connections and 1 usb memory connection each. What I have been trying to do is to hook up an ethernet from one of the lan ports on the netgear and run it to a lan port on the belkin. The only way I am able to get anything set up is to run a line to another lan port on the belkin from my computer.

The tech came out to repair my laptop today and since I was having other problems, he gave me a new disc so instead of running vista 32 I now have windows 7 64. So I just pulled out the 160 that was in my laptop and stuck in one of my 320 drives as a replacement and so I didn't have to spend time reformatting or losing anything. I wonder how much easier windows 7 will be for networking, I am also concerned that one of the Belkin reps told me that the only way it will work is if it is connected via ethernet and wireless won't work.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Hi i have just read up on the Belkin and it can be used for connection to ext HDD so i must apologise for earlier advice.

First tho we need to get internet connectivity for your Belkin and any computers connected to it.

1. Power down the netgear, Belkin and all computers.

2. Connect an ethernet cable from one of the Lan ports on the netgear and the other end of the cable to the yellow(WAN port) port on the back of the Belkin.

3. Connect an ethernet cable to one of the Lan ports of the Belkin and the other end into the ethernet adapter port on one of your computers.

4. power up netgear wait until lights stabilise, then power up the Belkin router wait until lights have stabilised then boot the computer connected to the Belkin.

5. The Belkin may have automatically received an ip address from the netgear open a browser and see if you have internet connectivity. If successful go to step 8.

6. If no internet connectivity you will have to login to the belkin and set the WAN connection type.
Open a browser and navigate to 192.168.2.1 check documentation or on bottom of router if this is not correct or go to address if router IP has been changed by you.
log in to the Belkin with router username and password under the internet WAN heading chosse connection type and set it to dynamic you can leave host name blank and click apply settings.

7. Re-boot Belkin and check for internet connectivity.

8. Now connectivity has been established via ethernet cable you can setup the wireless. In the netgear open a browser to the router IP 192.168.1.1 or different if has been changed from default wireless security settings you will need to make a note what security type is set WEP or WPA/WPA2/TKIP/AES and the actual network key. In the wireless settings page make a note of the channel number and the wireless mode set ex 802.11b/g or mixed mode 802.11b/g/n these settings with the exception of the channel no will need to be input into the belkin wireless settings.

9 Navigate to the Belkin and log in under Wireless heading and choose channel and ssid change channel from auto and select a channel that is five channels apart from the netgear router channel that you made a note of ex netgear may be set to ch1 set Belkin to ch 6 select wireless mode so it matches the netgear mode click apply settings.

10. Choose security and set security type to that of the netgear and enter network key and click apply settings. RE-boot router.

11. On any of the computers you want to connect wirelesly with click on the network icon in the taskbar and select the Belkin ssid from the available connections list click on it and enter the network key.

Three things to remember about network keys is

1. All letters to be capitals
2. No spaces.
3. Anything that looks like the letter o is a zero.

If all successful you can install the storage software so your Ext HDD appears in my computer.

Alternatively you can use a webrowser and type: 192.168.2.1/Device name(name assigned to EXT HDD).
Old 10-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks, I will give it a try, it is basically what the techs walked me through, but just to make sure you are referring to connecting from the computer wired port on the netgear to the computer port on the Belkin router and not its modem part? I just wanted to be sure because that is what they tell me to do each time is to plug in to one of the computer ports on each router.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Moderator - Networking

My System

Hi connect from one of the Lan ports on the netgear to the yellow port on its own may be marked WAN or INTERNET, then you would connect one of the computers to a Lan port on the belkin router.