Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

"DNS Server isn't responding"

This is a discussion on "DNS Server isn't responding" within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've got a weird wireless problem that I've been Googling for days and haven't been able to find an answer.

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I've got a weird wireless problem that I've been Googling for days and haven't been able to find an answer. There are a lot of responses for Googling "dns server isn't responding" but I've tried a lot of the proposes solutions and they haven't worked. Also, it isn't clear if people with the same problem as me are having it under the same circumstances.

Anyway let me explain.

I got this laptop in June and here at home the laptop has never been able to connect to the wireless network on the "bedroom" side of the house. On the "dining room" side, it connects great and works great.

The cable modem and wireless router have for years been set up in the dining room area. Until yesterday, we've been using for 5-7 years now a good ol Linksys G router. In my bedroom for years I used my Win XP desktop. It has a Linksys wireless G adapter and has never had trouble connecting to the network. Sure, the computer said the signal was weak and not optimum speed, but the internet always worked fast and great in the bedroom. My new Win 7 laptop has never been able to connect to the internet in the bedroom. I chose my words there carefully. The laptop painlessly connects to the NETWORK with 3-4 bars, but it'll never connect to the internet. Whenever I run the 'network troubleshooting' diagnostic tool in there, it says "DNS server isn't responding" and Win 7 shows with their network diagram that my laptop is connected to the network, but that the network isn't connecting to the internet.

All summer I tried fixing this but when it came time to go back to school I just gave up. Now since I'll be home all winter I'm trying to fix this problem again. The laptop connects to the network fine once I enter a certain range. So I thought if I could expand the range, my problems would be solved. Yesterday I bought a new Netgear N router, set it all up, and still the exact same problem remains. I have internet in the "dining room" side of the house, but not the "bedroom side." And again, what's most interesting is that the problem goes away the closer I get to the router.

Does anyone have any idea what can be done to fix this? Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi homer0001,

It's a signal issue. Let's see if can tweak something from the router settings.
First off, see if you have the latest firmware version of your router. You may check out the manufacturer's site and download the latest firmware if needed using a wired connection to your router.
Quote:
I have internet in the "dining room" side of the house, but not the "bedroom side." And again, what's most interesting is that the problem goes away the closer I get to the router.
From your wireless computer pls. install and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.
Click on the 'Show Networks' to display all wireless networks on the xirrus icon on your desktop of if you have one running in a corner. Tap the Printscreen key on your keyboard, open up Paint then choose Edit from the Menu and select Paste, then SAVE it. Upload and attached it here, click on Go Advanced and locate Manage Attachments Tab and attached the file.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #3

No, if you have 3 or 4 bars in the bedroom, it's obviously not a signal issue.

If you're connected to the wireless network, you should run a few ping tests to figure out where the real issue lies. Go into the bedroom and open up a command prompt (Start >> Run >> CMD) and type in IPCONFIG. This will tell you the IP Address of the laptop, but more importantly, it will tell you the Gateway IP Address. Now, type in PING 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your Gateway IP Address happens to be) and press enter. Make note of the response you get. Now, type in PING GOOGLE.COM and again, make note of the response. Now, type in PING 74.125.227.51 and make a note of the response. Finally, type in TRACERT 74.125.227.51 and let us know the results of each test. These are basic communication tests necessary to determine the source of your issue. Cheers.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hi homer0001,

It's a signal issue. Let's see if can tweak something from the router settings.
First off, see if you have the latest firmware version of your router. You may check out the manufacturer's site and download the latest firmware if needed using a wired connection to your router.

From your wireless computer pls. install and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.
Click on the 'Show Networks' to display all wireless networks on the xirrus icon on your desktop of if you have one running in a corner. Tap the Printscreen key on your keyboard, open up Paint then choose Edit from the Menu and select Paste, then SAVE it. Upload and attached it here, click on Go Advanced and locate Manage Attachments Tab and attached the file.
Checked firmware, the router is up to date

Not entirely sure what you're asking for regarding Xirrus, but I attached a screenshot of the program from my bedroom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	83952  
Old 12-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Dixie:

IPv4: 192.168.1.100
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

>ping 192.168.1.1

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

>ping google.com

Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

>ping 74.125.227.51

Pinging 74.125.227.51 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 74.125.227.51:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

>tracert 74.125.227.51

Tracing route to 74.125.227.51 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 * Laptop [192.168.1.100] reports: Destination host unreachable.

Trace complete.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
2xg

That's all what I really need to see, thanks.

Try changing the wireless Channel to 11 and see if your wireless connection has improved.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

Changed to channel 11, no difference
Old 12-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
2xg

Try changing the Mode of your wireless adapter, usually it's defaulted to Auto/Mixed Mode, change it to a 'G' or 'B & G', test your connection after.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

How do you do that? Do you know? I can't seem to find that
Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
2xg

This link should give you an idea.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
Registered Member

There was only one mode option: Ad hoc 802.11n, it was disabled, I enabled it, no difference
Old 12-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
2xg

Nope, that's not it....Please go back to the instruction and this time, jump to System Tray Icon instruction:
Right-click the system tray icon on the lower right corner of the desktop and click Network and Sharing Center.
Click Manage wireless networks from the left Tasks panel.
Click the current network and then click Adapter properties.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
Registered Member

Yes, then I clicked on 'Configure' -> 'Advanced' and there were no properties listed go change from B to G to N

Properties:
Adhoc support 802.11n
Country Region (2.4GHz)
Multimedia/Gaming Environment
Power Saving Mode
Radio On/Off
Old 12-21-2010, 05:37 AM   #14

Again, he said that he has 3/4 bars of signal... not to mention he has a valid LAN IP and the screenshot he attached shows him connected to the first network, which is Home, at -54bdmv. How could his signal get better? The fact that he can't hit the gateway in only this room is interesting, however.

Since your gateway is also your DNS, it doesn't surprise me that you're getting a DNS Timed Out error, as you can't ping the gateway when you enter this room. Beyond that, I have no idea what this issue could be. All signs point toward the router, but there's nothing to show that it's not functioning correctly, save this issue. I tell you what - go back into the dead room and renew your IP address (same steps as before, but the command is IPCONFIG /RENEW). Let us know if it does renew and how long it takes to renew. We'll keep working on this, but man is that ever odd. Cheers.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #15
Registered Member

>ipconfig /renew

An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 3 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:44 AM   #16

Ok, let's hardcode your IP Address and see if it lets you hit the gateway that way. Go to Control Panel, Network Connections, Right-click Wireless Network Connection and hit Properties, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and hit Properties, choose the radio button next to Use The Following IP Address and type in 192.168.1.100 for the IP, 255.255.255.0 for the Subnet Mask and 192.168.1.1 for the Default Gateway. Use the Default Gateway IP for your DNS Servers. After that, just click OK and then Close and try it yet again. I know we can find a way around this, but that doesn't make the issue less weird. Cheers.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
Registered Member

I entered all that into IPv4 and I don't think it did anything

Once I closed all the boxes, the yellow <!> thing on the signal icon went away and the Network and Sharing Center said I was connected to the internet, but as soon as I tried opening a webpage, it went right back to 'DNS server isn't responding'
Old 12-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
2xg

homer0001 - I don't think that he'll be able to post back anymore.

Any Security or Firewall Software installed in your computer?

Please provide an ipconfig /all info of your computer:
Open up a command prompt then Copy and Paste these
ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt Please attach the .txt file to be found in your Local Disk 'C' in your next post.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
homer0001 - I don't think that he'll be able to post back anymore.

Any Security or Firewall Software installed in your computer?

Please provide an ipconfig /all info of your computer:
Open up a command prompt then Copy and Paste these
ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt Please attach the .txt file to be found in your Local Disk 'C' in your next post.
Just Windows Firewall
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig.txt (2.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #20
Registered Member

Almost sounds like a timeout issue, if it works when he's close but then not when he's further away, although there is signal there. Maybe signal detection has a certain timeout and the dns resolution has a shorter one?

Or could it even be something environmental? If he has something in the way it could affect the transmission. I had something similar a few years back, I had a D-Link modem/router in the kitchen, the PC in the study and the xbox in the lounge room, anyway, whenever the microwave was turned on the Xbox would lose connection to the PC for file streaming purposes, although Xbox Live and the internet still worked, just not quite as well as when the microwave was off. Because of the orientation of the units to each other, if you imagine a V-shape with the router at the point, the microwave was inside the v, so the signal had to go through or near the microwave twice, and it really didn't like that.

Run the Ping tests at different distances, like 1-2m apart, from the area where it works to the area where it doesn't, and see where it drops out and if there's differences in speeds. That may help narrow down what's getting in the way, or if you need to increase the timeout setting on the router