Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Dell Wireless 3300 print manager

This is a discussion on Dell Wireless 3300 print manager within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to install Dell Wireless 3300 printer mgr. My OS is Vista Premium on HP Pavilion with AMD64

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to install Dell Wireless 3300 printer mgr. My OS is Vista Premium on HP Pavilion with AMD64 processor. The setup wizard finds my wireless home network but then fails to connect to it. It gives me an error: "Connection Failed - the wireless printer adapter was unable to join the network" . The SSID is correct, the security key for the WPA-PSK in correct as well. I am using the Netgear Rengemax WPN824 router and the WPN311 PCI card. Dell recommended to uninstall the printer (HP officejet 4110) and install the Dell 3300 first, but it did not help because it fails to connect to the network no matter what.
Could anybody help?
Thanks,
Holiday

Old 01-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #2

My System

Make sure if MAC filtering is being used you have put your MAC address in the router. Type ipconfig/ all to see the address. (Notice the space).

Also, make sure the type of wireless transmission is set correctly. B type generally wont talk to G type, so make sure the router is set to b and g. I can explain if needed. If you put B and G, you will be right.

In addtion, turn off any firewalls briefly to see if it may be blocking you.

If your router is set correctly and your clear on your firewall:

reset (actually clear) the router and input the settings again

and

restart your machine.

After that, the network people can take over.

cheers

Old 01-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your quick reply.
The installation wizard does not ask me for a MAC or IP address. If I manually enter MAC address I get "Communication failure with the network print server" error. If I manually enter print server's IP address, nothing happens. My RengeMax router is set to B and G type and the firewall as well as all virus and spam programs are disabled. I cleared the Dell3300 by unpluging from the wall and disconnecting the USB cable and restarted the computer. I uninstalled the software and after rebooting the computer went through installation again with no success. The setup disk is made for the XP but my OS is Vista Home Premium (I hate Vista) so I downloaded a Vista driver from Dell's site. It's is Dell3300 R147095. Could it be a wrong driver? Also, I just noticed the my RengeMax security is set to WPA2-PSK (AES) and the setup wizard only offers WPA-PSK. Could this be a problem? I'm desperate...
Thanks again,
Holiday
Old 01-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #4

My System

Both of those two changes could be a problem, but also, it could be something entirely different. To be honest, I don't know. If i understand you correctly, you get the internet, email etc but no internal connections to the printer via the router (wirelessly).

I would start by completely uninstalling, unplugging and restarting everything (including drivers). Make everything default. Have it in peices on your desk, all cables etc and start again. Hard shutdown computer for 30 seconds and restart. This really should include a hard reset of the router (this will force you to have to reset all the settings.)

Then systamatically go through the process of installing the hardware, software etc from the beggining as if new.

Can you also connect the printer (via a ethernet or USB) cable to the PC Router, set the connection up first that way. Then put all the settings for network printing. I am guessing the issue has something to do with ip addresses, TCP stuff. Someone else would be better at this call...

But i love a challenge...

Also read these:

http:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...ows-Vista.html

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...9265e1033.mspx

Some of this looked useful too

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...PostID=1292268
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

I do get the internet and e-mails and I can see two other machines on the home network. I can print from any machine to any printer as long as it is powered on. The reason I am installing the wireless print mgr is to not to keep all computers on in order to print. The rest of your suggestions are a bit over my head but you are the only one that took tome to bother with this problem.
Thanks,
Holiday
Old 01-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #6

My System

You and me both mate.

Holiday, basically what I am suggesting (until someone further helps), is take the time to reset all the variabilities. All those changes you made, ones you have forgotten possibly, are now causing you problems.

can you ping the device you want to connect to?

cmd

ping [ip address] ENTER

In the example, i have used 192.168.2.1 (which is a standard router ip), but you should replace it with the ip of your print manager.

Do you get a successful response?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

bought one of these from ebay - cannot get it working on infrastructure mode wireless. have spent ages trying, am about to give up. I'm using XP, but have seen many messages on the dell support (ha!) forums about issues with vista - good luck
Old 01-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Changes that may help to increase the compatibility of Vista with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
  1. Hold the Windows key and type R, enter regedit and press Enter.
  2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
  3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
  4. In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
  5. If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
  6. Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
  7. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
  8. Close Registry Editor.
NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #9

My System

John, nice post. Would "revert back to original settings", be best accomplished via system restore?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #10
Microsoft MVP

My System

A system restore is the quick way.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

John, That did the trick. Great call. I did not find the "{GUID} in the registry but I found 2 instances of DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag which I disabled. I also changed the security setup of my router from WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK. Now the Dell 3300 is installed but I can't print wirelessly. When I go to Set IP Address Utility it produces the right IP and MAC for the Dell 3300 and I can ping it as well. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Old 01-10-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
Microsoft MVP

My System

I'm not really familiar with that print manager, but it appears that if you can ping it, you're talking to it.

BTW, {GUID} is a mnemonic for those individual entries under that key.