Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Connection problems via Wifi (multiple devices)

This is a discussion on Connection problems via Wifi (multiple devices) within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Sorry for such a full-on, mammoth first post. I'm having connection issues with my router (Linksys WRT610N) at home. There

Old 02-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Sorry for such a full-on, mammoth first post. I'm having connection issues with my router (Linksys WRT610N) at home. There are a number of things that are happening (may be more, this is just what I've mainly noticed)...

1) Using my laptop (Macbook Pro OSX Lion), I am unable to complete any operations with my external FTP server, hosted with FatCow. I can connect to it, navigate through all the files, but when I try to edit/delete/add a file the operation times out. EVERY time. I've used two other Wifi connection on my laptop and neither have this issue.

2) I am unable to upload photos/videos to Facebook or Twitter using my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) or my tablet (HP Touchpad - CM9). Neither am I able to upload files to Dropbox via either of the devices. Same thing happens in all situations; the upload will begin and it will just hang on 0% forever. After about 10 mins I am always forced to disconnect the Wifi to stop the action.

3) My laptop is having slow internet speed, even though we are on 20mb broadband. Speedtests say I'm getting a good connection and my Ping is good, but when using streaming services like Spotify, it takes forever to load a page and frequently stops to buffer whilst playing a song.

Don't know if it's worth mentioning but I have no issues with my XBox (Ethernet), AppleTV (Wifi) or my girlfriend's phone (Nokia Lumia 800 - WP7.5) on the network.

I'd really appreciate any help. This is driving me insane and is really affecting both my use of the internet for both work and leisure.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Welcome to TSF,

We will need more information regarding your issue. Please follow the guidelines from this Sticky.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ts-573730.html

Have you tried a wired connection to the Linksys router and see if you're able to replicate your issue?

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry, I should've known to read the sticky. Here's some more info;

Who is your ISP?
Orange UK

What type of broadband are you using?
ADSL Broadband - 20mb

List all the Make and Model of your Modem, Router or Modem/Router combo
Modem: Netgear DGN1000
Router: Linksys WRT610N

I am experiencing the same issues on my laptop when connected through ethernet.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
2xg

No worries and Thanks for the info provided.

Modem: Netgear DGN1000 - this a Modem/Router
Router: Linksys WRT610N - are you using this as your Access Points?

Can you please try to post the Xirrus again? See Post# 3 in this Thread.

ipconfig /all
output is missing

Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Netgear DGN1000 - It is a Modem/Router, but it's terrible as a router, so I've put it in 'Modem only' mode
Linksys WRT610N - This is connected directly to the modem and is used as my router

I can't download Wifi Inspector as I'm using OSX. I've found more advanced statistics on the widget though. Hope these are of some use;

Note: The Linksys is dual-band. The issue is the same on b/g or N.

I'm unable to do ipconfig as I'm on OSX, here's what I've been told is the OSX equivalent;

Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
2xg

Thanks, its perfect.

Just to clarify, according from your Title 'Connection problems via Wifi (multiple devices)', that your issue is just wireless connectivity, is this still true? Is your wired connections affected?

You might want to visit Linksys site and look for an updated firmware for your router. Make sure to use a wired connection to update the firmware.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Thanks, its perfect.

Just to clarify, according from your Title 'Connection problems via Wifi (multiple devices)', that your issue is just wireless connectivity, is this still true? Is your wired connections affected?

You might want to visit Linksys site and look for an updated firmware for your router. Make sure to use a wired connection to update the firmware.

No, it's also wired. I hadn't tried wired until tonight. That has the same problems. Maybe change the title to suit?

I am using the latest firmware from Linksys. It's v2.00.01.15.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
2xg

Have you tried connecting directly to the Modem?

If there's no issue while you're connected to the Modem, then it's the Linksys, you might want to go for the Reset to the factory default setting, reconfigure all from scratch.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Registered Member

I've done a factory reset and its still the same.

Its weird. My girlfriends phone works fine. Cant understand why.

Could it be a port issue?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
2xg

.....and this?
Quote:
Have you tried connecting directly to the Modem?
Also, please try a different computer and wired it directly to the router.

Move the network cable to a different port of your router. Change the network cable as well.

You could have different issues going on. I don't understand either why the smart phone is able to connect to your network.