Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Connecting 2 Computers via CAT5 cable...

This is a discussion on Connecting 2 Computers via CAT5 cable... within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I started another thread on this situation, but this one is technically different (at least I don't think they are

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #1

I started another thread on this situation, but this one is technically different (at least I don't think they are related), so I am posting a separate thread.

A Dell laptop runnin Win2000 & a P3 CPU had malware problems and lost Interent connection. Cleaned the malware, and neither IE or Mozzilla would connect. I had my machine with me, so I thought to connect the two computers in order to transfer diagnostic software from my machine to the laptop. I've never done this before, but thought it was simple.

I ran CAT5 from my Desktop machine to the laptop, and it appeared the 2 machines partially "recognized" each other, as I got MS balloons whenever the CAT5 was disconnected, but other than that, there was nothing I could do to get the two machines to network. I ran the Network Wizard from both machines and could not get them together.

I got "stuck" at this point, and simply burned a CD with the files and transfered that way, but would like to know if I missed something obvious. Assuming the malware didn't corrupt the system files, is there something simple and "general" I could have done to tweak this situation into functionality ?

Thanks,

Mezto

Old 09-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

If you connected both computers directly with a standard "straight through) CAT 5 cable, they will not be able to communicate. You either need a cross over CAT 5 or you need to go through a hub/switch/router. Further more, if the two machines were not assigned IP addresses by a DHCP server, you'd need to make sure they both had static IP addresses in the same network range and they both were using the same gateway address and netmask.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #3

Yeah, your post rang a bell in the back of my head.

Quote:
You either need a cross over CAT 5 or you need to go through a hub/switch/router.
At one time, I knew that. Years ago. Need to buy or make a "crossover cable", right ?

For this situation, it's okay cause I have a router I can bring for the "next time", but gotta get a crossover cable in my warbag.

Thanks again,

Mezto