Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

connect second router

This is a discussion on connect second router within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have Verizon fios with a modem that has a build in router. I purchased a secondary router so to

Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have Verizon fios with a modem that has a build in router. I purchased a secondary router so to separate what devices goes online. Now I did the easy setup wizard and connect the secondary router successfully however there is no Internet connection. My ? Is how can I separate the routers and use the same internet connection. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Exactly how are they connected & set up ? What model is it?
At a minimum, if you have connected the 2 routers w/ an Ethernet cable, on the 2nd router, you need to turn off DHCP, & probably look for an option that lets you make that router an access point.

JimPz

Old 02-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

and welcome to the Forum

See this for how to use two routers:

http:// Connecting Additional Routers | | Tech Support Forum
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Why don't disable DHCP on those devices and create a static IP address on those devices that you do not want to access the internet? It would be easier then trying to get use more then one router.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

first of all if you have a modem router you dont need an additional router just complicating everything. second make sure that if you revert to orginal isp router theres connectivity if your able to connect try placing modem router in bridge mode and if verizon reuires user authentication make sure you put new router in pppoe so the info authenticates on router. I wouldnt recomend an additional router pain in tha ***. if you have a plan with verizon that includes static ips I would manually edit each ip
Old 02-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
Registered Member

I turned off dhcp and change the ip address from the second router one increment above my main router. I can't make any changes to the Verizon router because it doesn't let me access their configure page. My second router is a Cisco linksiys. And the setup I have is the Internet Ethernet cable that is connect to my modem I have it connect to my Cisco router now and the Ethernet cable that comes with my Cisco router I have that connected to my Verizon modem/router. And it seems to work. Don't really know what I did here. Any advice
Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I set the IP address of the second router to 192.168.1.254 ( where the first one is in the 192.168.1 range )

Not sure I understand how you have them connected, but the chain should be:

Modem ==> Router 1 ===> Router two ===

PC's can be connected to either router 1 or router 2
Old Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

Please explain more on the changes and exactly what I'm changing on the second router.also how should the Ethernet cable on the back be set up. This is regarding my Verizon fios modem which acts as a router and I want to connect another router(Cisco) so I can have 2 router using the same modem. Thank u any additional information will be helpful.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Management Team Networking

Moved your post to networking since its not a windows issue.

Technically speaking you can't have two routers using the same modem
What you can have is a second router off the primary router

There are a number of ways of addressing router chained to router but you need to clarify this statement
" to separate what devices goes online."

What exactly do you mean by that?
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r
Moved your post to networking since its not a windows issue.

Technically speaking you can't have two routers using the same modem
What you can have is a second router off the primary router

There are a number of ways of addressing router chained to router but you need to clarify this statement
" to separate what devices goes online."

What exactly do you mean by that?
I believe I have many devices wirelessly connected to one router such as laptops, iPod touches, pads/ tablets, I have 2 ps3 and 2 xboxes television etc.. My Verizon fios modem is also a router and it's seems that some devices lose connection to wifi. I got the second router so I can have certain devices run on one router and others on another router,with out the devices conflicted with each and overpowering each other. Basically I want to separate these devices so to speak.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Management Team Networking

To paraphrase you want to add a wifi access point in addition to the one you already have so you can divide the AP traffic.

Just so you know devices don't lose their wifi connection due to other devices accessing the same wifi connection. Connection loss is usually due to weak wifi signal and/or interferance.

You should download the xirrus wifi inspector and run it. Then post the results for review/recommendations.

In the mean time this is how you want to connect your 2nd router

1. connect to the second router and logon
2. set its gateway ip to 192.168.1.254 [as you have stated you have done]
3. disable its dhcp server
4. setup the wifi ssid different from the first as well as encryption level and passphrase
5. save the configuration and exit
6. connect the first router by it lan port to the 2nd router by lan port. DO NOT use the 2nd routers WAN port.

You should be able to connect to the second router via wifi and get a ip address and internet access.
Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks u have been helpful.