Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Connect/Disconnect pppoe URL for a Dlink router?

This is a discussion on Connect/Disconnect pppoe URL for a Dlink router? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have a Dlink DSL-2730U (an expensive, el cheapo router devoid of any functionalities, which also offers a way to

Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have a Dlink DSL-2730U (an expensive, el cheapo router devoid of any functionalities, which also offers a way to connect to net as a side feature).

basically i need to disconnect / reconnct pppoe without rebooting the router. but theres no button on the wan page for doing so.

i noticed clicking on most of the buttons redirect to some non-html urls, like .cmd, .cgi etc, and some of them are common for many routers. e.g. on my router, "reboot" takes me to "http://192.168.1.1/rebootinfo.cgi?sessionKey=1143549806"

i presume that the urls for disconnect/reconnect were simply removed from the web interface, and the urls from other dlink routers will work.

if u have a dlink, which has those buttons in the router's page, can u plz share the urls?

how to view urls:
if your page has frames like mine, just right-click on the right hand part and choose "show only this frame" and then click the button(works in firefox).

otherwise u can use any debugger like firebug

Old 04-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Check in device info or under advanced setup layer 2 interface>atm interface for disconnect button.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

I think you will need to go into Adanced Setup to change to PPPoE and at the bottom of the left pane is the Reboot button in each of the pages for configuration changes.

Whenever you change a connection protocol, the router normally has to reboot for it to reconnect.

This is the User Manual

http://207.150.194.182/resources/use...nual_V1.00.pdf
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberMan View Post
Check in device info or under advanced setup layer 2 interface>atm interface for disconnect button.
Only add and remove buttons are there. If your modem has a disconnect button, canu plz share the URL it redirects to?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Moderator - Networking

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Then the chances are it does not have the option built in to the firmware installed so a url is not going to help you.

Check the manual TomKen15 has linked to it does not appear to have any options so it cannot be done.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberMan View Post
Then the chances are it does not have the option built in to the firmware installed so a url is not going to help you.

Check the manual TomKen15 has linked to it does not appear to have any options so it cannot be done.
any telnet commands?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

If you log into telnet using your router login then enter adsl --help it will give you the list of cmds.

These are for more advanced cmds Router Commands List
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Moderator - Networking

My System

Upload a new firmware update via ethernet cable and see whether the they have added the option.

Else contact Dlink see if the option is available.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
If you log into telnet using your router login then enter adsl --help it will give you the list of cmds.

These are for more advanced cmds Router Commands List
Well, i tried pppoe disconnect and ppp disconnect, they don't work although typing help on the shell lists pppoe and ppp. Can anything be done from busybox shell?
Old 04-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab321 View Post
Well, i tried pppoe disconnect and ppp disconnect, they don't work although typing help on the shell lists pppoe and ppp. Can anything be done from busybox shell?
Have you tried TheCyberMan's suggestions, this is the link for Dlink Support
Technical support for network devices for home network & business network - D-Link

Check on there to see if a f/w update is available or contact them via the link.

If the telnet cmd didn't work then it would have been an invalid cmd.

If you need to set the router to PPPoE then just follow the instructions in the manual and restart it. I'm not sure why you are so against
following the normal procedure.

I can't advise you on busybox, give it a try but if the router doesn't support the cmd, then I can't see it working.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Have you tried TheCyberMan's suggestions, this is the link for Dlink Support
Technical support for network devices for home network & business network - D-Link

Check on there to see if a f/w update is available or contact them via the link.

If the telnet cmd didn't work then it would have been an invalid cmd.

If you need to set the router to PPPoE then just follow the instructions in the manual and restart it. I'm not sure why you are so against
following the normal procedure.

I can't advise you on busybox, give it a try but if the router doesn't support the cmd, then I can't see it working.
There isn't any fw update available and the dlink support would most probably tell me that that option isn't there (of course it isn't)

But the funny thing is that pppoe is a valid command, but it wont accept the parameter "disconnect". I tried variations like -disconnect, --disconnect, (space) disconnect, with pppoe, all of them are invalid switches.

i tried another thing suggested by someone, edit the pppoe connection, make minor changes and save. on his router, it reconnects, but for me says that an active connection cannot be edited, and strange things happen after that. The pppoe connection gets deleted.

So its evident that the firmware is super buggy. A known bug is that the router randomly reboots creating disconnections, and i don't think it ever be fixed (google it)., and yet it had a fw lock. Wick makes it impossible to flash 3rd party fw.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 PM   #12
Registered Member

Any busybox tricks?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
Registered Member

Wow dlink support page doesn't even have my model number listed
Old 04-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

It was the "disconnect" bit I was referring to as the invalid cmd as it isn't an option in your router.

The reason your router wasn't listed on the DLink site could be because it may have been a special commission by your ISP, because of the f/w even though there is a manual available on line in PDF format.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
It was the "disconnect" bit I was referring to as the invalid cmd as it isn't an option in your router.

The reason your router wasn't listed on the DLink site could be because it may have been a special commission by your ISP, because of the f/w even though there is a manual available on line in PDF format.
Well since all the options are exhausted i don't think trying out the URL would do any harm. I created this thread specifically for getting the URL
Old 04-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
Moderator - Networking

My System

Any urls aren't gonig to help you as that function has either been disabled in the firmware or has simply not been built in.

Contact Dlink they may be able to help you with the telnet or point to you to updated firmware if available with that option built in.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 AM   #17
Registered Member

A complete and descriptive guide to set up PPPOE mode for ADSL WiFi DSL 2730U router along with relevant screenshots can be found at the following link:

D Link DSL 2730 U WiFi Modem configuration guide for BSNL / MTNL

I hope it solves your problem. Get back to me in case of problem(s).

Thank you!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnab321 View Post
i have a Dlink DSL-2730U (an expensive, el cheapo router devoid of any functionalities, which also offers a way to connect to net as a side feature).

basically i need to disconnect / reconnct pppoe without rebooting the router. but theres no button on the wan page for doing so.

i noticed clicking on most of the buttons redirect to some non-html urls, like .cmd, .cgi etc, and some of them are common for many routers. e.g. on my router, "reboot" takes me to "http://192.168.1.1/rebootinfo.cgi?sessionKey=1143549806"

i presume that the urls for disconnect/reconnect were simply removed from the web interface, and the urls from other dlink routers will work.

if u have a dlink, which has those buttons in the router's page, can u plz share the urls?

how to view urls:
if your page has frames like mine, just right-click on the right hand part and choose "show only this frame" and then click the button(works in firefox).

otherwise u can use any debugger like firebug
I hope that my link above solves your problem. DSL 2730U is not as bad as you seem to think !
Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #19
Registered Member

Hi
I was looking for the same thing for a while. I do this instead of rebooting:

1. Go to Advanced Settings>Dsl
2. Check/uncheck any unneeded checkbox
3. click Apply/Save
This will reinitiate the sync which is better than completely rebooting the router but it does not replace a quick IP change via (Diconnect/connect) buttons

Hope this helps
Hadi