Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Configure 2 routers on same network but different ports

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Fjandr 
#1 ·
Hi Guys.

I don't know how to describe the title better, as my problem is a bit complex. Lets hope I can find some networks expert that can help me.

This is the situation. In my country, our ISP configure our networks in a weird way. The internet is integrated with our houses, so each socket on a different room gets directly an IP, a different IP, but all on the same network. Lets say that I get 192.168.72.X on the different sockets of the different rooms.

Now, the ISP, as usual, gives you a router that they connect to one of the sockets. But the router generates its own IP, 192.168.0.X, since it has its own IP the devices connected to the sockets don't see the devices conected to the router.

I have tried to force the router to have the IP of the house, but either the router does not accept to have the same IP as the house, or the ISP is blocking manual IPs to be configured in their switch.

What I am trying now is to connect on router on one room and another router in the other, since they are connected to the same network (in theory) and I put the same IP in both (one router is 192.168.1.1 and the other is 1.2) but I still cannot make them see each other.

Is there any way to configure the second router so it recognize the network created by the first router? What details should I change on the second router?

Thanks, I hope you can help me.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answer

That's the thing, to my network does not reach a WAN but a normal LAN IP, each socket has a normal IP, I can connect devices to them and they will be automatically configured as 192.168.76.X

I have to put at least one router in any of the sockets, in order to have a wifi in the house, but that router will generate a different network.

Putting them in AP mode will try to generate more IPs of the same that the house has, it would be similar to put a switch is that correct? I tried a switch also, but for some reason, all the ports connected were given a 100MBs speed, instead of 1GB, only the router get the proper speed to all devices. I think I am fairly limited for the way the ISP configures the network at my home. I am trying to find a solution with the limitations I have.

I truly would wish I can explain better what I try to do.

Here's an example: At my living room, I connect the main router, the router gets a WAN IP of: 192.168.76.1 for example. And it generates a wifi of 192.168.1.1.

In my bedroom there is another socket, if I connect another router, that router gets a different WAN IP: 192.168.76.2, but same gateway, same subnet mask as the other.

If I configure the second router to be 192.168.1.2 it still does not see the other network, is it possible to configure the second router to see the network under 192.168.1.X?? I cannot touch the IPs assigned on the sockets, cannot force them to be another, cannot use a switch to generate more IPs under the 76 subnet, everything that I do must be on the 1 subnet.

EDIT: In regards to the article suggested, I cannot put the second router connected to the first one, they are on different rooms.

#4 ·
You can't do what you desire since the router in charge of the ports you have no access to.

It would appear that each port is mapped to a particular ip address.

If you can't get more ips on a single port you have no options. No router or switch will work for you to get multiple ips. This is deliberately done by the ISP

Now if you stop trying to do the 192.168.72.x subnet you have no problem connecting multiple devices/ip addresses using the 192.168.1.x subnet for both wireless and wired clients

#5 ·
Now if you stop trying to do the 192.168.72.x subnet you have no problem connecting multiple devices/ip addresses using the 192.168.1.x subnet for both wireless and wired clients
Thank you for your help GentleArrow.

Could you elaborate this statement a bit more? You mean that I should be able to have both routers creating the network 192.168.1.X even though they would be connected to different sockets on my house? If is that so, How can I configure the routers? I have tried to put both to the 192.168.1.X (one as 192.168.1.1 and the other as 192.168.1.2, but the dont see each other, neither de devices) I can see that devices conected to the second router, configures the DHCP as 192.168.1.2 as gateway. Could that be the problem?

Again, thanks for your efford in helping me

#7 · (Edited)
Sounds like a form of port authentication where the policy is to allow only one ip assignment per port connection.

"You mean that I should be able to have both routers creating the network 192.168.1.X even though they would be connected to different sockets on my house?"

No.

What I am saying is you can either use the 192.168.72.X for everything [no added router or wifi] or create your own wifi network with a [not two] router in the 192.168.1.X subnet.

The wan port would get the 192.168.72.3 [wan port connected to lan port providing .3] and your routers lan would be in the 192.168.1.x network with up to 254 wifi/wired connections

Again you will not be able to:
1. put in a router and have its lan connection of 192.168.1.X be addressable by the 192.168.72.X network
2. you can't get two routers lans to talk to each other which is just a more layered approach to #1

You never did answer the question of why you are doing what you are doing. What is your objective?

"EDIT: In regards to the article suggested, I cannot put the second router connected to the first one, they are on different rooms. "

You misunderstand my suggestion. It was not to connect your two routers but a single router to the router providing the 192.168.72.x network.

From what you write this would only allow you one wifi connection since you would still get only one ip address like 192.168.72.3 [you plug the router into the .3 port]

#8 ·
Maybe I missed it, but where is the ISP hardware
(router/switch/etc) where all of the individual room ethernet ports terminate? Do you have physical access to it?

Another method of simplifying setting up network connections visible to each other is to not use the router WAN ports at all. Manually set up the LAN settings to use the main house subnet on any attached device. You'd essentially be using the routers as switches, but you should still get gigabit connections instead of the 100mb connections you were getting when you tried the same using dedicated switching hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.