Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

computer won't pick an ip address in domain

This is a discussion on computer won't pick an ip address in domain within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

I updated a computer from windows 2000 to xp pro computer worked great for about 3 days. I updated to serves pack 3 and the computer now will not pick up and IP address in the users network.

I take the computer to another client location (building) and plug it into the network there and I get an IP address and can get onto the internet.

At the client’s main location I plug my laptop into the same port and it has no problems getting onto the network. Laptop gets a local ip address and is able to go on the internet, (this means the port is working on the switch). I plug the computer into the same network port the laptop is in and in will not get an ip address. I done an ipconfig /release and an ipconfig /renew, also an ipconfig /flushdns did not help. I disable the onboard nic and put in a spare nic and had the same problem.

I put in a static ip address and I can ping www.google.com but the internet explore will not work, (it could be that I’m not really ping the ip address for google.com but it pings). I try to ping the gateway and it will not respond.

I am unsure on what I can try next, maybe an Active directory issue? I have tried renaming the computer didn’t help (mac address?)

Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Registered Member

did you get an answer to this question?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Did you createa static Ip address for your default gateway or just the ip address?

Is the dafault gateway ip address within the same subnet as your ip address?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Did you createa static Ip address for your default gateway or just the ip address?

Is the dafault gateway ip address within the same subnet as your ip address?