Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Computer not connecting to network...sometimes

This is a discussion on Computer not connecting to network...sometimes within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a brand new computer (built locally), Intel DG41TY motherboard, WinXP SP3. The MB has a 1GB NIC. When

Old 06-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

I have a brand new computer (built locally), Intel DG41TY motherboard, WinXP SP3. The MB has a 1GB NIC. When I first bought the computer, we had no problems. About a week later the computer wouldn't connect to the network. Couldn't ping or anything. I gave the user another older computer from my inventory and it worked fine, albeit slow. I took the computer back to the mfr and it worked fine on their network. I gave it back to the user, it worked fine for 3 days and then, same problem. I called the mfr tech support who agreed to replace the MB. Brought it back and it worked fine for about a week, then died again. Mfr states it might be something with the network.

In the users location, I slowed the card down to 100MB Half Duplex and turned off the Wake on LAN features. I used 4 different cables, 2 connected to a 100MB Switch, and 2 connected to a 100MB Hub. Tried logging in as the local administrator and two different network users. All of this over about 2 hours and nothing worked. Replaced the computer with an old one and took the new one to my desk where...it works fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the heck is going on here. I'm about at my wits end and getting ready to go bald.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Well, I'm guessing an electrical grounding issue between the units. Try this: Put a cheap Ethernet switch between the computer and the router and see if that works.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
johnwill is offline   Reply With Quote