Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Comcast/Netgear n600 problem...

This is a discussion on Comcast/Netgear n600 problem... within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just don't know anymore. I pay for a 20d/5u internet speed through Comcast in San Francisco. I am not

Old 05-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

I just don't know anymore. I pay for a 20d/5u internet speed through Comcast in San Francisco. I am not getting anywhere near that. Here is a list of troubleshooting already done.

All cables (including coax and ethernet cables) have been changed.

This is my third router upgrading most recently from a Netgear n300.

Impedance checks on the internal wiring of the building.

When I call Comcast and complain about the issue they reset everything and then the speeds go back to normal for about 2-3 minutes. Speakeasy will show 30mbps. After the 2-3 minutes it is back down to less than 3mbps. Including when the modem is directly connected to the computer. It is multiple computers ruling out the possibility of an ethernet card being bad. Recently I called Comcast and while on the phone with them and being directly connected to the modem my internet speeds worked perfect and were consistent for the rest of the night. As soon as I connect my brand new netgear router the speeds go sluggish again. I just don't know anymore.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Did you have this problem with the previous routers?

What model cable modem do you have from Comcast?

Are the speeds always consistence directly connected to the cable modem?

Is the PC wired or wireless?

Go here and run a speedtest (one through the router and one directly to the cable modem) and post the results.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

Okay on my third router now...a Cisco e2000. Realized my ethernet card on one of my laptops is really poor since when I plug it into the modem I get slower speeds. When I plug my other laptop into the modem I get consistent high speeds. So I guess that rules out Comcast.

So my issue is either with the router or the setup.

When I do a power cycle my wireless connection shows speeds of about 20Mbps...Then after a couple minutes it goes down to 4-6Mbps. Since I get the 20 initially I know the capability is there. Any help to why it would slow down like that? The speeds also slow down on wired connections. It's like I only get a fast connection following a power cycle. No issues when I take the router out of the picture. This is my third router all with the same issue.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

What make/model is the Comcast modem?

Do you have this problem with all PC using the routers?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
Registered Member

The modem is a Ubee Docsis 3.0 U10C035. The problem is in 2 laptops 1 desktop and 2 LCD TV with netcast. Very sluggish speeds as soon as the router is connected. Unless you power cycle it. Once you power cycle it the speeds are up to normal for a couple minutes but then it slows down to abnormal speeds. I called comcast out on Toggling my internet but when I connect the modem directly to my laptop the speeds are normal so it isn't comcast.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Management Team Networking

Sometimes you need to clone the mac address of the working pc/laptop to the routers wan interface to make the modem think its just the working laptop connecting.

Wand3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote