Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat5e Wiring

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  WiFiTech 
#1 ·
Hopefully this is an easy question to answer so here goes. Im moving into a home that has a cat5 junction box. Every room in the house has cat5e ran to a jack but it was ran for the phone line. My question is can I use those phone lines as the ethernet lines for any pc's in the house since there wont be a land line in use. What Id like to do is hook the modem up downstairs to a wirless router and run the router into the cat5 junction box where the "phone in" line was and use that box as a type of switch.

#2 ·
Yes and no. :wink:

If they had terminated all the wires then yes. If not, use a punch-down tool to crimp the rest. The block should be color-coded.

#4 ·
Hello Wingzfan,
As both Johnwill and Renegade X stated it is all a matter of how the home is wired. My preference would be to save the time trying to test it all and just use a Wireless Router. If you must play with the wiring be sure to avoid three problems.
1) There is voltage on a phone line. You must DC the incoming Phone connection (physical disconnect)
2) You will still have to use a Hub, Switch or Router to supply ethernet to each run.
3) You need to be sure that only one device is connected per run.
--a) I have been able to run ethernet over a daisy chain wiring install however, Only to a single location. Meaning, that only one device could be connected in the entire home even though the there was a seperate line in each room. We connected a switch in that room to allow more than one device to be connected but the speeds were compromised by about 30%.
If you have a phone demark with seperat lines running to the junction block, you can detach them and connect them one at a time and see which jacks light up. If you get more than a one to one relationship then that line is daisy chained.
Hope this helps,
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.