Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Can't get CCTV on my wireless laptop via IExplorer

This is a discussion on Can't get CCTV on my wireless laptop via IExplorer within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Strange one this - I have had this working for ages but after power cut it stopped! I have networked

Old 04-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Strange one this - I have had this working for ages but after power cut it stopped! I have networked my home Avtech KPD675 DVR via my Belkin router. I can get live pics on my home desktop PC via Internet Explorer (Port 80) and via my dyndns address. I also can get both of these live pics away from the site on a remote PC.
However, in my home network, when I use my laptop (wireless connection) I have full access to internet etc. but when I try to log in to my DVR via Internet Explorer, or the client software, I get login error and no pics!
I thought it might be a firewall problem as I use different antvirus/ firewall (Virgin) on my laptop, so I temporarily switched off the firewall and still could not get pix!!!
I have also "pinged" the DVR's IP address successfully from my laptop - it is failing after I try to log in to the DVR. I dont understand why it works elsewhere and as I said earlier, it was working before!!!! HELP!!!!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

When you are on your home network the internet isn't used to get to the dvr.
You would access by its local static ip address.

When connected at home via wireless can you ping other devices as well as the dvr successfully?

Wand3r3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

yes, i am trying to log in to the DVR by entering the DVR's local ip address in the IE8 address bar - this gives me the DVR's log in screen but subsequent login fails! It has worked before by this method and also via my dyndns address even though I was on local network. Could it be something to do with ActiveX or maybe MAC settings? I can access internet ok from my wireless laptop and I can log into the DVR from my desktop on the same LAN (wired connection)!!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi steven,

I had a similar issue with yours a couple of months ago when we upgraded our CCTV Systems. I can access and view the DVR by using Chrome, but in IE I can't. What I've done, I called the Tech Support of the DVR's Manufacturer and advised to use a different Port Number which I had to port-forward first to our Sonicwall and this worked for me.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

Point taken thank-you, but I can access the DVR via IE8 on my desktop and on any remote network - it is only my laptop (on the same LAN network as the desktop but wireless) that I can not get it!!! The only thing I noticed is that before the problem started, when it worked ok, my desktop's ip address was 192.168.2.3 and now my laptop has changed to that ip address while my dektop is now 192.168.2.100 (router of course is 192.168.2.1).
Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hey I just realised one point....

On my desktop at home I have IE7 (not 8 as I thought) - dont know if this will make any difference. I have IE8 on my laptop.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
2xg

Have you cleared the cookies/cache of your IE?

Restore it to the default setting:
How to Restore Internet Explorer Default Settings | eHow.com

Definitely try Chrome:
https://www.google.com/chrome

Old 04-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks but no joy there!

I finally fixed it today... hoorah!

The problem was the Virgin Media antivirus on my laptop - I had thought it might be that before and temporarliy disabled it, which didnt fix the problem. However, somebody told me that just disabling it would not necessarily remove all the program, so I uninstalled it completely and the video pics worked fine. I then installed an alternative antivirus (AVG) and all is well!
Not sure why Virgin stopped the DVR from networking but It is fine now with AVG so at least it has been fixed.

Thanks for all your help and advice folks.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
2xg

Good for you! Yes, I remember in one of our computers..... I had to disable MSE, strange though....didn't still work then I uninstalled it, it worked too, then I just reinstalled MSE back.

Thanks for the update.