Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Cant connect to some sites

This is a discussion on Cant connect to some sites within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been having problems for the past couple of weeks trying to connect to some websites. It is only SOME,

Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been having problems for the past couple of weeks trying to connect to some websites. It is only SOME, not all websites. It will either say that it is taking too long to connect or that the website is experiencing problems. I have no idea where to start as i am pretty clueless when it comes to configuring/repairing network related issues. Please help!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

1. Depending upon what browser you are using, clear out all of your browsing history and cache information.

2. Can you characterize what websites work and what don't?

3. Try flushing your dns - open up a command window - start run cmd. Then type ipconfig /flushdns and see is that fixes it?

Rgrds-Ross

Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for replying rgsalinger.
I've tried both internet explorer and firefox. I've also tried flushing my dns already. And i can't really characterize the sites that work and the sites that don't. No idea what separates the two.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
2xg
Team Manager, Networking Forums, Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi cats404 and Welcome to TSF,

Check your browser's Proxy settings, make sure that it's disabled.
How to Remove Proxy Settings

Make sure that your LAN setting is set to DHCP, that goes to the DNS Servers as well.
Wireless Network Support: How to enable DHCP on Windows 7?

Please give us an update.

Microsoft MVP 2011-2013 Windows Expert Consumer
Networking Articles & Tutorials
2xg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks alot 2xg.

The proxy settings are disabled and my LAN settings are already DHCP... i think. I've followed the steps and they were already set to auto and such
Old 10-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I wasn't really asking what browser you're using rather I was asking you to clean out the cached information in whatever you're using and to flush any dns entries that might be lurking. If you really can't categorize which sites are failing you might try using the public google dns servers - here's a link - Google Public DNS .
Rgrds-Ross
Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ah sorry. I've cleaned out the cached info and flushed the dns already though. Still having the same problems
Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Could you post an example of what gets redirected? You could have some kind of virus, but I'd check that the DNS servers are correct (maybe call your isp if necessary) and I'd give the public DNS servers a try.
Rgrds-Ross
Old 10-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

It doesn't get redirected. It just says that the website is experiencing problems/something is blocking it. But the public DNS servers worked. They enabled me to go onto the sites i couldn't before.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Well that means that there's some problem with your dns. It would have to be at your ISP if you've flushed the cache. If you have a second computer which works it would be worthwhile checking how the DNS resolves there. On the other hand if your happy with this solution, just mark it as "solved".
Rgrds-Ross