Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Can't Communicate with Just One Device

This is a discussion on Can't Communicate with Just One Device within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone. I've got a real interesting problem and I can't seem to find a solution to. First, the background.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone. I've got a real interesting problem and I can't seem to find a solution to.

First, the background. I'm working on a small company network. The network has three separate locations with three separate subnets, those being 192.168.0.x, 192.168.3.x, and 192.168.8.x. All three subnets are connected to each other over VPN tunnels, with each site individually connected to the other two. The .0.x subnet is where the servers are located, the .3.x subnet is a remote office, and the .8.x subnet is the main office.

Now, all VPN tunnels are up and connected with no issues. I've already been over that. The problem is with a single device, a printer, and a single server, but it is not a printing issue, and it may not even be a networking issue due to the specifics of the problem.

I have one machine, a VM running Windows Server 2008 R2 that all of a sudden can not print to the printer at the remote office, nor can it ping that printer. I was able to do so without issue prior to this and no changes have been made to anything to my knowledge. The box is running VMware ESXi 5.0.

Now, I'll try to give you everything I've done and tried in hopes someone has seen this before and has a solution. I can ping and print to the printer, which is on the .3.x subnet, from my PC that is on the .8.x subnet. I can do that from every PC on the .8.x subnet as well. I can also ping and print to the printer from the one PC that is on it's subnet, the .3.x subnet. I can also ping and print from the one PC that is connected to the same subnet as the server in question, the .0.x subnet. I haven't attempted to print from any of our other VMs, mainly because I can ping that printer from the other VMs on the .0.x subnet.

Now, I initially thought something is wrong with the routing or the VPN, but as I said, everything else on the .0.x subnet can reach the printer. I even thought maybe something with VMware may be causing an issue or the network card on the box itself is having problems, but I think I've debunked that theory because I can ping the printer from other VMs on that same box, as well as I can ping the router and the three IP security cameras we have at that remote location from the server I'm having an issue with. I can also access the web management portals for the router and cameras from the server and everywhere. I can also access the portals from all other PCs, including the one for the printer, but I cannot access it from the problem server. The printer does have a static IP and it has not changed. I've also confirmed there is not an IP address conflict. Also, one night last week, updates were installed and that server rebooted. That next day, we could print and ping the printer. However, the following day, we could not print not ping the printer again. I attempted a reboot to see if the we could access the printer again but we could not.

So, in a nutshell, I literally have one device, with one IP, that cannot be accessed by only one server/PC. Does anyone have an thoughts or ideas? I've been fighting with this for two weeks.
Gurupitka1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Sounds like an issue with that one VM. And by issue, I mean a network configuration issue. You've ruled out the server and NIC(s) as other VMs on that box are working. So it's VM issue (config or drivers)...or maybe still a NIC issue if the problem VM has it's own NIC.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote