Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Cannot connect to wifi with Atheros AR 9285, Win 7

This is a discussion on Cannot connect to wifi with Atheros AR 9285, Win 7 within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, my machine is HP ProBook 4530s (bought 2 weeks ago) with Atheros AR9285 WiFi adapter. My OS is Windows

Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, my machine is HP ProBook 4530s (bought 2 weeks ago) with Atheros AR9285 WiFi adapter. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
There is a public wireless network near my home which when I try to connect to I almost always get an "No Internet access" message and no connection. In the rare cases when I connect to the network it dissapears a few seconds after I manage to load a page.
The reason why I'm writing about this is that I have another very old (4-5 years old) laptop - Asus with XP SP3 and Atheros 5006EG Wireless network adapter, which connects to this network very easily and with reasonable speeds. I have put the two computers next to each other and the old one connects with no problems, while the new, if finds the network (somethimes it doesn't show on the list of wireless networks or it shows with fewer bars), almost always gives the "No internet access" message and an occasional exclamation mark on WiFi network icon.
I tried to read the descriptions of the two adapters online and as far as what I understand the new should be better in any way, but I am not familiar with the terminology, thats why i am starting this thread here.

My question is it possible my 5 years old laptop to have a stronger and better WiFi adapter than the new HP or is it a settings/software issue? If it is the latter, how can I fix it?

I have currently installed these drivers for my WiFi adapter - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

I tried windows tools for troubleshooting network problems but it didn't work and I searched several forums, but I couldn't find solution.
One other thing is that when I bought the probook it came with Linux SUSE operating system and the signal was again weak. I am not familliar with Linux so I switched to Windows.

Please help, I am really confused about what is happening here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	105049  
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig.txt (3.3 KB, 40 views)

Old 02-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Your IPCONFIG shows an IP address in the 169.254 range for your WiFi adapter.

This means the adapter is not receiving an IP address from the DHCP server on the hotspot. Basically it's talking to the hotspot and says it wants an IP address to communicate, and the hotspot is ignoring the adapter.

Are you having troubles with any other hotspot on this computer? Or is it just the one? You can try purchasing a USB adapter, disabling the onboard adapter, and trying to connect with the external.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply first,
Well, no problems with cable connection. At my friend's place I connected to his wireless modem, but I remember that he changed the "Network Adress" on the WiFi adapter setings first. I will try tomorrow to connect to other networks and see what happens and post here.
Why is the hotspot ignoring my adapter?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Are you sure you have 64 bit drivers for your adapter? I'm not able to view the link you posted right now so I can't tell from that.

You can also uninstall the driver you have now and then reinstall it. Or roll the driver back to a previous version.

The fact that you can connect to the hotspot using the other laptop suggests the access point and DHCP are configured correctly on it's end, the issue is with the laptop itself (drivers, bad adapter, etc).
Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, I am sure about the drivers. You are required to chose the operating system first to view the drivers for your machine. I looked now in the driver description it supporst both the OS and the WiFi adapter I am using. I don't know why the link doesn't work for you. If you google "hp probook 4530s drivers" this is the first one :) hp.com
Type: Driver - Network Version: 9.2.0.444 (14 Sep 2011) Operating System(s): Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (32-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit), Microsoft Windows 7 Starter (32-bit), Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit), Microsoft Windows XP Professional File name: sp54972.exe (73 MB)
I tried disabling and enabling the adapter, reinstalling the driver, installing the previous version of the driver again from the HP site and using Driver Genious to scan and install drivers...no luck. any sugestions?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

(The link doesn't work for me because I'm viewing threads at work during downtime and our web filtering software blocks it; I could change the software filters but that'd be unethical).

My suspicion then is that your adapter might be faulty, which is why I asked about your ability to connect to a different hotspot, and suggested an external adapter.

Seems to me that short of trying a different adapter you've done most of what you can do.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yes, I am feeling that i am running out of options lately. But you mean "faulty" as defect in manufacturing of the adapter? Is this a problem that my guarantee covers? Or are you talking about the model in general?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Well, when you posted the OS's the adapter is compatible with I noticed Windows 7 Ultimate was not included in the list of compatible systems.

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure if that actually matters. So I'm wondering if the driver is not, in fact, compatible with your version of Windows. You said your laptop came with SUSE and you replaced it with Windows 7. Could be no Win 7 Ultimate driver was ever developed, or it could be the adapter itself no longer works. If either of those is true your simplest solution would be an external adapter.

Testing the adapter on a different network would clear that up. If the adapter itself doesn't work, since you only got the laptop a couple weeks ago I would guess your warranty would probably cover it but you'd have to check that yourself to make sure.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Well since your able to connect to your friend's wireless network, we can agree that the Wireless NIC is not faulty. Could be that it's probably the hotspot experiencing "difficulties" even if your older laptop can connect to it.

Have you try connecting another wifi access device to the hotspot?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
Registered Member

I replaced the SUSE with Win 7 Home Premium and 1 week later I reinstalled with Ultimate because of the wirelss network issues. I thought they were from the faulty OS...but no luck. I haven't tried connecting to other hotspots, but I will today.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Well as long as the drivers are supported then you should be okay. You mentioned successfully connecting the laptop (in question) to your friend's wireless network correct?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #12
Registered Member

Yes, I connected successfuly to my friend's network. Actually I am at a coffe right now and I have no problems with the connection. I guess the adapter works fine, but what is bugging me is why I'm getting weaker signal than my other old laptop. I mean the it is 5 years old. This is ancient in terms of today's computer technology. My new laptop should be better in any way, but is not. That is why i figured there is something wrong with the settings or i am not doing something right or the WiFi adapter is damaged. Or maybe the problem is with the network but again I am no expert and thats just a theory.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Yes that is true, your laptop includes the current latest wireless technology, 802.11n. You can try reverting the drivers to an older one. Try this link

You can also try changing the wireless mode on your wireless card by setting the mode to strictly b/g.

To do this, go to your wireless card, and right-click and properties, click configure and under advanced tab, look for wireless mode.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this-IT-guy View Post
Yes that is true, your laptop includes the current latest wireless technology, 802.11n. You can try reverting the drivers to an older one. Try this link

You can also try changing the wireless mode on your wireless card by setting the mode to strictly b/g.

To do this, go to your wireless card, and right-click and properties, click configure and under advanced tab, look for wireless mode.
I can't see wireless mode option... and I downloaded the drivers but I'm not sure how to isntall them. I tried uninstalling the current drivers and then searching for drivers in the folder I extracted the drivers from the archive, but it didn't work. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	105103  
Old 02-14-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
Registered Member

I see in the screenshot that it shows that I am currently connected, but I can't load any pages at all.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

So your able to connect to the hotspot again? Provide an ipconfig /all.

And go into the command prompt and type in ping google.com, provide the results.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
Registered Member

well, i somethimes can, but i can't load pages. here are the files.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig.txt (3.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: txt ping.txt (481 Bytes, 11 views)
Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

And provide me an ipconfig of the xp laptop
Old 02-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #19
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Whatif, what is the name of the network you are trying to connect to?
Is this a public hotspot, like at a coffee shop or just someone's open wireless network?
If you are trying to connect to Blizoo WiFi, the signal is too poor to be of any use or make a connection. If this is a new computer, I'd return it.

Fred Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
Registered Member

this-IT guy, here are the files from the other laptop.
Fred Garvin, yes it Blizoo wifi, it is a public hotspot, and yes the laptop is new. If can't solve this, probably I will consider returning it. It's not that this hotspot is my main source of internet but the situation is very annoying. :)
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfigXP.txt (1.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: txt pingXP.txt (442 Bytes, 15 views)