Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Cannot connect to network hard drive

This is a discussion on Cannot connect to network hard drive within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just installed a new network drive and cannot access it from one computer. The new drive is connected directly

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just installed a new network drive and cannot access it from one computer. The new drive is connected directly to the router and I can ping it from the computer but the setup wizard cannot find it. Two other computers connected fine. I have had problems with this computer comunicating with other networked resources and I think some setting ( like firewall etc.) is interfearing with it. Windows firewall is tuned off (windows XP) but is there somehing else that could be set wrong.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Could you tell us something about the new drive? Specifically, the make/model of the unit. Have you tried browsing to it and configuring it?

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 12-11-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

The drive is a Netcenter Western Digital network drive. I am also having trouble connecting to a netgear wireless pring server model WGPS606 and that one is connected directly to the print server with a 8 wire and I get a "cannot find" error. The computer is a Dell 700m laptop and I can connect to the internet through the router and I can ping the router but I cannot access the control panel of the router through explorer on the Dell but I can on every other computer I have. Just wondering if there is something blocking it somehow?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:32 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus, Gearheads & Networking Team

If you are using the wireless on your Dell laptop, check and see if you have either the Intel 2100 or 2200 wireless card. If so, you want to update the driver for this card and possibly use the Intel wireless config utility rather than the Windows Wireless Zero.

The original Intel driver is a DOG and the updated driver (10/05) is much more stable. See what the Dell site has, but I have been using what is on the Intel site for many machines.

JamesO
Old 12-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

If you are running a firewall make sure the address is added to the trusted Zone.

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread