Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot connect to HTTP, only HTTPS)

SOLVED 
29K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  JudgeDrey 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!
The problem I'm having with one of my own laptops has me stumped ATM! So I'm reaching out to those much more capable than I (ie: You all!).

I've tried searching first of course, a lot! To no avail unfortunately. And I'm also in the process of going through the "Pre-Posting Requirements" sticky as soon and as much as I possibly can. In the meantime, I figured I'd start my post to try and maybe get an answer from someone who might know what the problem is right off the bat. So here goes...

I've had a wireless home network for a year now with 3 laptops (all with Windows 7) connected wirelessly, and also a desktop (Win7) and a PS4 which are connected directly to the modem. I've had no problems until...

:banghead:
PROBLEM:
Last week, just ONE of the laptops has been refusing to connect to ANY and ALL unsecure, or HTTP websites. (It tries to connect, hangs for about a minute, then gives me an error "The website: website-dot-com took to long to respond...etc").
Only secure, or HTTPS websites are accessible (Facebook, Google, Youtube, Twitter....etc.). All other laptops are still connecting FINE to all websites.

I'VE TRIED:
- Using Chrome and Internet Explorer
- Disabling Anti-Virus and Windows Firewall
- Lowering all internet security levels to zero
- Disconnecting the other 2 laptops from my wireless network
- Rebooting the laptop and updating Windows
- I am not ATM sure if there is anything else I might be leaving out.

- It DOES work when I connect the laptop directly to the modem FYI

I have NOT tried:
- Seeing that this is only happening to ONE laptop ATM, I've so far avoided rebooting the modem.
- System Restore. (System Restore was turned off for some reason when I got the laptop to my disappointment. It's on me for not checking to make sure this was on when I first got this laptop. But I digress...)
- I am not sure ATM if there is anything else I might be leaving out.

So that's about all I can think of adding at this point. I'll surely add anything else I can think of that might help diagnose this problem.

:thanx:
Let me thank you all in advance for taking up your valuable time to read and consider this problem I am having. Regardless of if you can help or not, I thank you very sincerely for any and all input! I hope some day for the opportunity to reciprocate somehow if possible. I would return the favor any way I could in spades!

:blush:
Also, I'd like to apologize in advance if there is anything I might have done wrong or missed doing in my post. I'd appreciate any information you could give me on this forums guidelines and general etiquette also!

Cheers! :beerchug:
Sincerely,
Andre

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Ok, I'll try most anything logical at this point, without going to certain extremes just yet. (Like re-installing Windows for example. I have waaaaay too much home recording studio software installed on this laptop to do that now. I would probably just accept using it with a wired connection if unfortunately, that's what it might come to!)

So you think that AVG might have just started causing this after about 4 years without issue, and even when it's been completely disabled? And along with Windows Firewall also?

Either way, thanks so much for the reply! :thumb:

#11 ·
My sincere apologies for not replying sooner.

After booting into safe mode, first, my wifi connection said it was connected, but without internet access (something that has happened before at home on different laptops). Once I opened Chrome though, my wifi signal changed to normal and loaded my homepage(Facebook) no problem.

Unfortunately, the problem persist though. Still not able to access any HTTP sites.

#10 · (Edited)
Try telneting on port 80. Windows Key + R > CMD > telnet checkip.dyndns.org 80 > Enter > Enter. Should look like below, if not, it will give a error. See here for additional instructions.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html
Server: DynDNS-CheckIP/1.0
Connection: close
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Length: 103

<html><head><title>Current IP Check</title></head><body>Current IP Address: 72.9
2.x.x</body></html>

PS. If you don't have telnet enabled, see here on how to enable.

#13 ·
Try telneting on port 80. Windows Key + R > CMD > telnet checkip.dyndns.org 80 > Enter > Enter. Should look like below, if not, it will give a error.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Length: 103

<html><head><title>Current IP Check</title></head><body>Current IP Address: 72.9
2.x.x</body></html>
I followed your instructions Optimus1357, and this is what I got:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Content-Length: 107

<html><head><title>Current IP Check</title></head><body>Current IP Address: 142.162.xxx.xxx</body></html>

Connection to host lost.

(screenshot)

So that's it. Does that tell you anything at all? I hope there's an explanation/instructions coming next! lol

EDIT: I apologize for the multiple posts!

#19 ·
I apologize, but this is getting well beyond my understanding! :huh:

You want me to go to that site? If I try to on WiFi, it doesn't connect as usual.
If I connect directly, I get this...

If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know. I'm sorry if I need step by step instructions at this point. But I appreciate it immensely!

#18 ·
Ahh, good point. So you you think if inbound port 80 shows as open, then it is probably forwarded to a server on OP's local network, and maybe that is what is stopping the inbound answer from the computers outbound request. I wasn't meaning to question your ideas, just understand them so we can both assist on the same page. :)

#20 ·
Hmm its a https site which shouldn't cause you any access issues. The "reload" is just Shields up saying they believe the reload can present a security issue so their site is designed to prevent it.

Try going there again. Might want to just google shields up [or any port checker site/tool] and then via the link go there.

So is the http issue only with wifi? or both wired and wifi?

#24 ·
I was unable to edit my last post, so I had to post again. sorry admins!

You're right, it should have been able to connect to it as it's an HTTPS site.

I tried it again on just WiFi and realized when I click directly on the link it opems up a new webpage with the address: about:blank
If I right-click and open in new tab, it was redirecting me to:
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_148765591465720&key=935f66bc246cfba652317b8d41d3ef7f&libId=izf3gugg01002urt000DL2m8jyawt&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techsupportforum.com%2Fforums%2Ff31%2Fcannot-connect-to-http-only-https-1180809.html&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grc.com%2Fx%2Fne.dll%3Frh1dkyd2&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techsupportforum.com%2Fforums%2Ff31%2F&title=Cannot%20connect%20to%20HTTP%2C%20only%20HTTPS)%20-%20Tech%20Support%20Forum&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grc.com%2Fx%2Fne.dll%3Frh1dkyd2

The problem is just with WiFi, as I explained in my original post.

When I connect directly, it just brings up that screenshot I posted earlier, either way. I don't know where I'm supposed to go beyond that honestly. If you have more detailed steps as to what you'd like me to try I'll gladly try anything. Thanks for your help so far.

#27 ·
Hi, sorry I should have seen the safe mode post. You said your other machines connected to the same modem\router combo had no problems, so it is this one machine.

Open a cmd as admin (go to start search and type cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

netsh int ip reset (press enter) ignore the restart request.

Next copy paste:-

netsh winsock reset (press enter)

This time restart computer, Test your connection.

#28 ·
Yes, the problem is with just one laptop out of 3 that can all connect to my WiFi and browse any sites with no problems.
Here's a rundown so far (from what I remember)
-All have Windows 7.
-Connecting directly to the modem eliminates the problem.
-It happens on all browsers.
-Windows is updated.
-AVG is up to date and has scanned entire PC.
-Both AVG and Windows Firewall have been shutdown.
-AVG was completely uninstalled.
-This just started about 2 weeks ago, and nothing was installed or any particular website visited when it happened.

Apart from the procedures that have been suggested in this thread so far, that's about all I can remember at this time.

As far as what you suggested, a friend of mine had suggested something similar about a week ago. He had me input the “netsh winsock reset” command, but not the "netsh int ip reset" before it.

I will try doing it your way as soon as I can in the morning when I get home from an appointment. Hopefully it does the trick!

Thanks very much for the suggestions!
Cheers!

#31 ·
I would be glad to help if it's a malware issue. I just didn't want to interrupt anyone else's troubleshooting suggestions that aren't malware related. Also, I didn't know the rules on this forum when the thread starts to go off topic. Would moderators prefer the discussion be moved to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware section?

If you want two suggestions which are passive, try running Malwarebytes , Hijackthis, then post the log. Also try Minitoolbox and choose the options for Host files and IP configuration and then post that log too. My gut is telling me it's from some HTTP redirection going on, which is then being stopped by your AV, keeping you from seeing HTTP at all.

#32 ·
Hi, it would be best if you posted on our virus forum (as linked by Optimus), they use advanced tools that require expertise and experience, if it is malware they will find it.

Pity, MS have seen the light and have just included a complete network reset in windows ten. Sadly no such luck for win 7. The closest thing to this is to use the windows/inf file to reload the IPv4 protocol.

Go to start search and type:- ncpa.cpl (press enter) your network connections will open, right click on your connection and select properties. Network properties will open highlight internet protocol V4 (tcp/ipv4), then select "install".

Select "protocol" from the options, then press "add".

Next click on "have disk" Next in the box headed "copy manufacturers files from" type:-

c:\windows\inf (press OK) , next select "internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/Ipv4)"
press OK.

Restart computer, see how you go.

#33 ·
The closest thing to this is to use the windows/inf file to reload the IPv4 protocol.

Go to start search and type:- ncpa.cpl (press enter) your network connections will open, right click on your connection and select properties. Network properties will open highlight internet protocol V4 (tcp/ipv4), then select "install".

Select "protocol" from the options, then press "add".

Next click on "have disk" Next in the box headed "copy manufacturers files from" type:-

c:\windows\inf (press OK) , next select "internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/Ipv4)"
press OK.

Restart computer, see how you go.
I finally tried what you suggested in you post today. Sorry it took so long but I've been pretty discouraged about the whole situation and I've just been using my laptop with a wired connection since this has happened.

But Hallelujah...

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rofl::dance::thumb::flowers::sayyes::pray::wiggle2::luxhello::scream::Wow1::beerchug::hug::SHOCKED::thanx::woot::3-rockon::4-bounce::kool::laugh::4-clap::spinning:

I'M SO FLIPPIN HAPPY AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.