Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Can I monitor internet activity on my wireless router?

This is a discussion on Can I monitor internet activity on my wireless router? within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently received an email from my internet provider showing illegal movie downloads through my modem. I have a wireless

Old 02-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

I recently received an email from my internet provider showing illegal movie downloads through my modem. I have a wireless router hooked up (with password security) for my roommates to use and would like to monitor their internet activities to know who is downloading these movies. Is there anything I can do?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Management Team Networking

Perhaps if you know the url of the downloads you could find that in the routers logs if the router supports that kind of logging. Review your routers manual for logging features

Wand3r3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

You could try Microsoft's Network Monitor, but it's a very complicated piece of programming.

Download Here:

Download details: Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4

Read up on h
ow to use Network Monitor to capture network traffic:

How to use Network Monitor to capture network traffic

hope that helps out.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Isn't there a piece of software that will simply record website urls that pass through the trunk line on a router. I doesn't have to be computer or ipod specific, just record the sites opened up and possibly indicate how long the site was open.... Any further ideas here? I'd like to monitor the web activity of my 12 year old and he knows I'm doing this. Also, it would be great to intercept texting conversations as well, but this may be a different issue. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Great forum!

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible to connect a second wireless router to the same network?
Hey guys, currently I have a modem and wireless router next to the family desktop, but the signal is not strong enough for me to get wireless internet on my laptop at the opposite end of the house (where my room is :() I borrowed a friends signal boosting aerial (can't remember the model sorry)...
dont-have-a-cow Networking Support 11 05-04-2013 02:52 AM
Problem with wireless router
Hey there! A couple of weeks ago I bought a Sitecom wireless router 150N for my students apartment. The student flat is connected to glassfibre internet, but in the building itself its split to copper wires. All students that live here receive a LAN cable to connect their computers to the...
CharlotteSchut Networking Support 1 02-09-2011 08:47 AM
Help with VOIP router and Wireless Router Configuration
Hey fellas? I'm trying to set up a voip router at work but I'm currently stuck. Hope someone can help me out with this. This is what I have. 1. A wireless dlink router - DIR-655. 2. A poe switch - DES-1008P. 3. A VOIP router - DVX-7090. 4. A few ip phones. 5. A few ip cameras. This is...
manizzi Protocols and Routing 0 02-04-2011 01:49 AM
Wireless Blu Ray Makes Laptop Unable to Connect to Router
I have a Dell Dimension 4400 pc (XP SP3) connected to Linksys WRT54G2 v1.5 router with no issues. Dell Inspirion (XP) connected to router with Linksys WPC54G Wireless notebook adapter with no issues for months. A couple of days ago, purchased a Vizio Blu Ray DVD Player (VBR220) with WiFi. I...
wrinklem Networking Support 3 01-05-2011 03:03 PM
Wireless Router Problems
Hi there everyone! I could really use some help, I've been having troubles with setting up a wireless network in my flat, I hope somebody will be able to help out, or if not point me in the right direction! My thanks in advance for taking the time to read my problem! Internet access in...
johnwheeler Networking Support 1 01-05-2011 03:34 AM