Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

Belkin F5D8235-4

This is a discussion on Belkin F5D8235-4 within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just attempted to replace my Linksys WRT54Gs G router with the Belkin N router. I have a new desktop

Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just attempted to replace my Linksys WRT54Gs G router with the Belkin N router. I have a new desktop with an N adapter and a laptop with a G adapter. Both the desktop and laptop run very good on the Linksys but I thought "upgrading" to the N router to take advantage of the additional speed(?) would be a good move. The Belkin router ran very poorly with dropouts, slow traffic, speed tests, and PC hang while watching a HuLu movie. Anyhow, I switched back to the Linksys. Any ideas on what to look for? Thank you

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Are you trying to keep the Belkin router and get it working for wireless? If so, had you tried changing the channel and switching the wireless modes in the router?

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Jason09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. I did change channels but did not try a different mode i.e., g/n to g. Possibly firmware? I just bought the Belkin from WalMart. I should ask, will I see an increase in speed with the PC I have with the N adapter?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

There may be an increase in speed. If there is a newer firmware version available, try upgrading it.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 08-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

I've got the Belkin operating OK now. I'll check for a firmware upgrade. Thank you
Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Ok, sounds good.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

I've had a situation where I lost connection to the internet but showed I was still connected to the router with limited access. Closing Firefox and reopening the connection had me going again. I've looked for the current firmware in the router (192.168.2.1) but can't find the info. I believe the current level is v1.01.26. Possibly the distance from my PC to the router (60ft with a 3 bar icon) is causing retries between the router and my PC?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

That's possible. Make sure you don't have other wirless devices in the way from the PC to the router.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

Well, I've contacted Belkin support 2x, changed setting 2x, verified firmware level and switched back to my Linksys WRT54GS. I'm "on the air again". The Belkin continued to lock up requiring me to disconnect then reconnect. Most times it showed "limited connectivity" only to local when it failed which at time was very frequent. At times it ran OK. Time to go shopping again, this time another Linksys.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Registered Member

I've just installed a Linksys WRT320N N series router. It's been stable since the installation. BUT, so far I don't see any advantage to me. It appears to have the same thruput and signal strength as my previous router. I expected better speed and stronger signal. Keep your WRT54GS, don't "upgrade". Well at least that's been my experience.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

Oh, by the way, Linksys charged me $9.00 for their phone support! I called them the *same* day I purchased the router. So much for "one year warranty". At least Belkin didn' charge me.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #12
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

The problem may be the adapter. If the physical distance isn't a problem, have you tried directly connecting to the router to see if stay connected that way?

Old 08-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
Registered Member

Well actually I have both a desktop and a laptop and both exhibit the problem. Both Linksys routers very seldom lose connection. The reason for changing from a WRT54GS to an N series router is the supposed increase in speed and greater signal strength, both of which I've not accomplished. The laptop stays connected via cable w/o a problem. The router is 60ft from my desktop. I have a concrete wall to go through plus the 60ft which I'm sure is attenuating the signal. In my situation I normally show 3 out of 5 bars. Sometimes 4 but as low as two. My hope was the new routers with their claimed greater range would help the signal strength.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

I think the distance/concrete wall is most likely limiting you to how well you can pick up the signal.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
Registered Member

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately for me, the "extended range" of the WRT320H (one of the reasons I purchased the product) was not valid. The number of bars displayed were/are the same as the WRT54GS.