Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone / guru help me get my laptop online please.

2K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have joined this forum as I'm not sure what else to do re getting this to work and there seems to be some good experience on here.

I have just bought a Lenovo G580 Laptop of a mate who had Windows 7 installed. For reasons that make sense only to myself (I was never happier than when I had XP) I have put XP on it. Downloaded all of the drivers from the Lenovo website for my model.

No matter what I do I cannot get the wireless thingy to work.

I have downloaded and installed the Intel PROset/wireless WIFI connection utility and it tells me the driver is not installed.

So how do I get the driver installed? I thought thats what I had done.

Could anyone be so kind as to tell me what I'm meant too do here? Id be most grateful. I know it may seem odious to many but its cost me around 8 hours of scratching my head.

Regards,

Loch

See less See more
#2 ·
Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, any devices with Yellow flags need to have drivers installed.
Go to Lenovo's drivers page and type in your make and model# choose the drop down arrow next to Operating System and choose XP 32bit. Download the Intel WLAN 32 bit Windows driver and any other drivers you need from Device Manager.

#3 ·
Hey there,

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me. Greatly appreciated.

Mate Id pretty much already done what you said before coming on here. But to make sure I have done it all again. Went to Lenovo and DL'd all of the drivers I could find for XP 32bit /Lenovo G580.

Then I go to device manager / hardware yet still I have three yellow '!' marks.

*-Audio Device on HD audio bus. (When I launch the driver install I am told the device cannot be found)
*- Network Controller (I launch the driver instal pack for XP to tell me all was installed ok, only for the Intel program to say there is no driver. I go to drivers tab in device manager and try and manually install via pointing it to the correct folder and still no go. Cant find a suitable driver)
*- Unknown Device (No idea and don't really care just yet. Really just want to get online the I can worry about the rest.)

Any other ideas mate?

#5 · (Edited)
*- Unknown Device (No idea and don't really care just yet. Really just want to get online the I can worry about the rest.)
this maybe part of the reason, depends on the device

can you provide a screen shot of device manager - and then for any devices with a ? or ! please do the "Identify hardware" section - see how below

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device Manager

Please Post back the results in device manager as requested below

You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the screen shot and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.
If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

how to access device manager for different windows versions

How do I get into Windows Device Manager?

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen, see the menu on the left hand side

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

If the above does not work then

For Windows 7 or Vista
Click on the Start Orb > In the Start Search box type > device manager and then press enter
or
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager
For Windows 8
If you happen to be using a keyboard with Windows 8, the quickest way to open Device Manager is via its shortcut on the Power User Menu, accessible by pressing the WINDOW key and the X key together.
If on a touch screen - have a read here How To Open Device Manager in Windows 8 & 8.1 [Easy]
Once you are in device manager then navigate to:

network adapters, click on the + > post back the devices that are listed under network adapters
are there any yellow ! ? or a X​

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window.
For Windows XP
Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
For windows Vista or Windows 7
you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
How to use the Windows Snipping Tool
For Windows 8
you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
>Press the Esc. key.
>go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
>Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

How to identify hardware in Device Manager

right click on the device with a yellow! or ?

from the menu choose
properties
Click on the Details Tab
Under the Property - drop down
Select hardware ids
Right click and select all
Then right click again and select copy
Copy and paste that information here

You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_008A&SUBSYS_53058086&REV_34

please reply with the full code for your device(s)

The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

These codes can be looked up at this site PCI Vendor and Device Lists

As an example the link for that database tells us that;
Vendor ID code 8086 is for this vendor - Intel Corporation
Device ID code 008A is for this device - Intel Centrino Wireless-N1030

Unknown Device Identifier enables you to identify the yellow question mark labeled Unknown Devices in Device Manager.
Unknown Device Identifier - Freeware Download

#7 ·
I have just bought a Lenovo G580 Laptop of a mate who had Windows 7 installed. For reasons that make sense only to myself (I was never happier than when I had XP) I have put XP on it. Downloaded all of the drivers from the Lenovo website for my model.
so you are still missing drivers

i cant read the network controller numbers - tried in photoshop
The network driver should be here
Laptops and netbooks :: Lenovo G Series laptops :: Lenovo G580 Notebook - Lenovo Support (US)

again audio - cant read the numbers
but the driver is here
Laptops and netbooks :: Lenovo G Series laptops :: Lenovo G580 Notebook - Lenovo Support (US)
just need to now the numbers to know which one

the ACPI/VPC2004.
Unknown Device in the device manager, code is ACPI/VPC2004 - Lenovo Support (US)

#9 ·
Hey Wayne,

Those links take me to the Lenovo G580 downloads page.

Mate I've downloaded the lot many times over and still this problem persists. I go to the site on my Mac, download all the drivers, stick them on flash drive, put flash drive into Lenovo PC, install packages, all install well, yet drivers are missing.

This is why I am absolutely down in with it. Makes no sense.

Ive even tried older version drivers and got no where.

Any other ideas?

#10 ·
the yellow ? shows they are not installed

You have XP on the Lenovo G580 - correct

can you post the numbers for the network controller
all I need is the
The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
Device ID = 008A

Post back those two numbers make sure we know which is vendor ID and which is device ID

then I can look at the file and see if we can use a .inf file to install

#12 ·
There are 4 lines of codes. So, in order…..

Vendor = 14E4 (on all 4 lines)

Device = 4727 (on all 4 lines)

PS - Yes, Lenovo PC with XP on it.

Totally agree the drivers are NOT installed. But after installing drivers from official website and other places nothing seems to want too install the drivers what is very odd. Natrually many drivers DID install as they are not all yellow !s

Regards and thanks.

#14 ·
To be honest Wayne to a layman like myself they all look the same. Im baffled this day and age why I don't just download one big fine with everything I need on it and it just does everything.

UPDATE

Just downloaded the file you linked me too and it has a number 7 at the end. This means its the 7th time this file is in my downloads folder.

:-/

#17 ·
Ok mate. I looked for the for a folder on my hard drive and found it under C/Drivers.

I have ran all of the .exe files on there and finally something worked.

Its now saying installed correctly and the device manager confirms this.

Your a bloody star ! :)

Unfortunately I still cant get on the net as it cannot find any local networks. But I can probe work through this myself.

Thanks so much mate. Greatly appreciated. :) :) :)

#19 ·
you need the other drivers for the rest of the devices with a ?

You may need to switch the wireless on

Check the wireless is switched ON
theres often a physical switch or a combination of the FN and one of the F keys to toggle the wireless on/off
often F2 is used - but note , not always - look for a symbol that looks a little like (( i ))

is the wireless on?

also download and run xirrus

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file to the faulty PC and install the program.
You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

http://go.pardot.com/l/66982/2015-01-26/2361i
enter you details
Download this file "DOWNLOAD WI-FI INSPECTOR Vx.xx "
( the site now appears to allow webbased emails like gmail, hotmail, outlook and yahoo now )

There is also a xirrus gadget, But that does not have all the fuctionality "DOWNLOAD GADGET Vx.xx

Alternative links - Use the links below
Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector Download - Softpedia
Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here
http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0

post a screen shot of the program running.
if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.

Windows XP
Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

Windows 8
you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
>Press the Esc. key.
>go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
>Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
see here
How to take a screenshot in Windows 8 - PC Advisor
How to take a screenshot in Windows 8 - PC Advisor

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

#22 ·
I have ran all of the .exe files on there and finally something worked.

Its now saying installed correctly and the device manager confirms this.

Your a bloody star ! :)

Unfortunately I still cant get on the net as it cannot find any local networks. But I can probe work through this myself.

Thanks so much mate. Greatly appreciated. :) :) :)
can we see another screen shot of device manager
and also a screen shot with network adapters expanded - click on the +

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.