Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any way to split internet connection between 2 pc's that won't affect eachothers ping

751 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jimscreechy 
#1 ·
Hello, I am a total newb.

My title is maybe a fail and the question may be triggering and stupid, but try to understand me and correct me if u will. Also my English is not that good either.

I have a rounter and share it with my roommate and we both share the monthly bill, he's quiet annoying watching videos all the time over the internet and it affects my ping while I am gaming online.

Is there a way that I can "split" the connection between his and my PC where his downloading would not affect my ping? (we have ADSL tcom in Croatia, 1,2MB/s max DL)
I might be able to get a new router if that would need to make this happen.

Answers are appreciated, especially detailed ones, thanks.

#4 ·
No matter how you might try to "split" it up, you would still be sharing the same internet connection.

#5 · (Edited)
"(we have ADSL tcom in Croatia, 1,2MB/s max DL)"

Do you mean 1.2MBps(MegaBYTE)? Or 1.2Mb(MegaBIT)? Or 2Mb download and 1Mb upload? The reason this is important is if your trying to share your connection, you need enough speed for both. If you only get 1Mbps upload, splitting it in half would only give you 500Kb upload, which would negatively effect gaming. QoS is designed to manage and balance the bandwidth between you two, but if there isn't enough total, you are still going to experience congestion. You can try it, but I suspect a better solution would be to increase your speed from your ISP.

For instructions on how to try QoS, what model modem/router/gateway do you have?

#7 ·
Most QoS deals with latency, not bandwidth, especially the less expensive routers that come from the ISP. IMO it's like a 1 lane dirt road that has traffic because people keep trying to drive around each other. Adding a traffic light to the road to manage the cars will usually actually increase traffic, not reduce it. It is possible QoS may have a effect, but I think the real issue is total throughput. Butter can only be spread over so much toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.