Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Networking Support

169.254.x.x / Limited or no connectivity issue

This is a discussion on 169.254.x.x / Limited or no connectivity issue within the Networking Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, First time poster and definitely not a computer whiz, so I hope I describe my problem well enough. I

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Hello,

First time poster and definitely not a computer whiz, so I hope I describe my problem well enough. I would definitely appreciate any help at all with this.

I have not used wireless internet much until 5 months ago. I was in dormitories and was wired through an ethernet cable to the phone jack. Now I live in a house with two other roomies. The house set up is a router attached to a desktop computer downstairs, and two laptops upstairs. I'm using one of the laptops. Yesterday morning, my internet was working fine. Last night, when I got home from work, my computer had a yellow triangle in the taskbar that said "This connection has limited or no connectivity." Usually what I would do when the internet was acting pokey or sketchy is go downstairs and enter the web-based utility for the Linksys WRT54G router and click on "Save Settings" or "Renew Lease" and that seemed to always get the internet back working. Then again, I only did that when the internet seemed really pokey and slow, never for a "Limited or no connectivity" message. I tried that and nothing helped.

Then I went one step further and reset the router to its original factory settings by using a pencil tip to push that button on the back for 5 seconds. I got out the CD-ROM for reconfiguring the router and started from scratch and completely reinstalled the router.

Still didn't work. My laptop has "limited or on connectivity" and has that wonky 169.254.x.x IP instead of 192.168.1.100-106 which is usually what my router spits out. For what it's worth, the desktop computer's internet works just fine, but that makes sense since the desktop is hardwired to the router through an ethernet cable. The other laptop has the same thing: Limited or no connectivity.

I got online and tried to do some research on the issue. I tried the whole ipconfig /release, /flushdns, and /renew... release and flushdns worked, but renew does not. It says that the request timed out and that it was unable to get a DHCP assigned IP. I even tried something like netsh winsock reset, and it said that was successful, I restarted my computer, still nada.

If anyone could give me some more advice on this matter, I would really appreciate it. It was so bizarre in that it was working fine yesterday morning. I turned off my computer before I left for work. Came back 9 hours later, turned on the computer, and it suddenly says this "Limited or no connectivity" nonsense, and nothing seems to be fixing it. Some people have said it's related to the SP2 release, but I have had SP2 for years now and while I've mostly been hardwired to college ethernet, I have used Wi-Fi in coffeehouses before and the previous 5 months I've used wi-fi at home with absolutely no problem like this.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

The people blaming it on SP2 are 100% wrong. In point of fact, SP2 fixed a whole host of wireless networking issues and is a mandatory upgrade IMO.

First off, do you see any wireless networks when you search for available networks? Did you try running with no encryption on the router to get connected first? Does you laptop still connect at one of those coffee houses?

BTW, the correct TCP/IP reset for XP-SP2 is as follows:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 10-05-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hello!

I took my laptop on campus and yes, I was able to access the university's WLAN in the coffeehouse. I took it back home and got the limited or no connectivity message.

Since I restored the router back to it's original factory settings, I lost the 128 bit WEP I had put on the router. So I thought for a while that perhaps the reason why my computer may not "log-in" to the router is because it needed to have it's wireless adapter "restarted" too. So I uninstalled the Belkin wireless card and reinstalled it. From there, it turned on, I saw all the available networks near my house and clicked on mine. I logged in and whammo, internet restored and working. I was so happy I thought I had it fixed.

Then this morning, once again, I logged on and the internet was acting really pokey. So I did what I normally would do in that case, I entered the web-based utility for my router and renewed the lease and clicked "Save" ... still slow internet. Couldn't even get the Firefox Google start page to open up. It was both receiving and sending packets of data from what I saw in the connection properties. I thought that maybe one of my unscrupulous neighbors was accessing the network, so I went back into the utility to add 128 WEP back. I did that, was bumped out of my network, was asked to re-log in with the passphrase, entered that, connected to the router... and got that dreaded "Limited or no connectivity" message again.

I'm back at square one.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP

My System

Please post a HijackThis 2.00.2 Log here.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay, I will do that as soon as I get home which is in a couple of hours.

My other roommate (who uses a laptop) called and said he is getting the limited or no connectivity message on his laptop too. (Which he is unhappy about and expecting me to fix because he knows even less about computers than I do).
Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP

My System

Well, if multiple people are having the same issue, then it's likely to be a common element, in this case the router or the modem.

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread