Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you think of this email I received?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  GilbertComputer 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm a sole trader, repairing PCs, building websites and generally having a go at most things to do with IT (and sometimes anything with wires attached)
I've been in business since 2008 and I only do it for beer money around the local villages where I live. I trade under the name "Technohow" (Not trade marked)
I just received this email and want to know does anyone think it's real or a scam - I don't wish to lose my name:
Dear President or CEO,
We are an agency for registering domain names authorized by Chinese government. Today, we received an application from CHANK Global Ltd applying to register technohow as their brand name and some top-level domain names(.CN .HK etc). After our initail checking, We found the main body of domain names is same as yours.
We are handling the application and we need to confirm whether or not you authorize them to register them? Let me know your positon ASAP so as to solve it promptly. Looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Colin Tan
Senior Consultant
Tel:0086-551 634 911 91
Fax:0086-551 634 911 92
Huajin Building, No.121, Huaihe Road, Hefei, Anhui

See less See more
#4 ·
I found this post through a Bing search I did because I received the same email. I still wasn't 100% sure after reading this so after checking further I came across the answer...it is a scam called "slamming" and it's illegal.

keepalert.com confirmed it along with the names of the scammer companies.

Slamming: domain names blackmail

I'm not going to concern myself with going after them since they're out of the country and I don't want to tick off scammers, but at least I know it's definitely not something to worry about.

I also wanted to put this here in case someone else searches it like I did and wants to be sure of its status as a scam email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.