Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

Starting Repair / Consulting business

This is a discussion on Starting Repair / Consulting business within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I found some interesting articles on PCWorld.com about starting a new business on a small budget. As they say, failing

Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #21
Registered Member

I found some interesting articles on PCWorld.com about starting a new business on a small budget. As they say, failing to plan is planning for failure.

How to Start a New Business on the Cheap, Part 1 | PCWorld Business Center

How to Start a New Business on the Cheap, Part 2 | PCWorld Business Center

Old 03-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Registered Member

I'm anewbie here. It's a good Idea. I too have the same idea.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to WRXMarcus

Awesome - I've created some business cards. I live in a very large apartment complex, so I was thinking about trying to design some basic fliers and spread them about. I'll have to do everything after 4:00PM during the week, and some on weekends if necessary.

Any suggested sites that have business plans or models that I should follow?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXMarcus View Post
Awesome - I've created some business cards. I live in a very large apartment complex, so I was thinking about trying to design some basic fliers and spread them about. I'll have to do everything after 4:00PM during the week, and some on weekends if necessary.

Any suggested sites that have business plans or models that I should follow?
Make sure you get permission from the complex manager before distributing the flyers. Many complexes have strict rules against soliciting, and that includes solicitations from tenants. You don't want to find yourself with an unexpected rent increase... or worse, legal trouble.
BosonMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to WRXMarcus

True. I've also heard that you can pose it as a value added service, and offer a 10% off for complex residents. What do you think about that?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
Moderator, IT Pro Team
Certification and Career Expert

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXMarcus View Post
True. I've also heard that you can pose it as a value added service, and offer a 10% off for complex residents. What do you think about that?
Doesn't matter what I think about it... it matters what the manager thinks about it. ;)

As long as you are profitable by offering 10% off, it's certainly worth doing! :)
BosonMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #27
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, develop a business plan have someone who understands accountancy have a look over it , remember you are selling your knowledge and expertise ( a large part of which comes from experience).

Initially, you are attempting to work a full time job and do this on evenings and weekends (the only time you have available). So you need to take this into account, you may have all the knowledge and ability in the world, if however, no one knows this, then you are going no where.

The most important thing is to learn how to market yourself and once you have clients how to keep them.

For example rather then view your limited availability as a minus emphasize the fact you are available evenings and weekends, when the disruption to the business operation will be at a minimum OR when visiting private residences ALL parties to the computer are available so they might benefit from your expertise.

Look at producing simple user guides with screen shots on how to do things ( even AV ), and offer regular maintenance contracts, your ability and knowledge are the key, so bone up, places like this are good for solutions, offer a security suite. For many years (on our client machines) the right side of the desktop contained only security related shortcuts and each one came with detailed instructions on how and why to use.. at one stage all state schools used these manuals to educate students, we wrote them for commercial reasons, soon had an educational effect, business went through the roof.

Be honest, no BS, if you don't know, find out "do no harm" and maintain integrity whilst others may not, it pays in the long run.

Develop a good working relationship with your suppliers, as soon, you will be supplying systems to your clients, even though you had not intended to, if they trust you they will want you to provide everything.

Unless you try you will never know, I started with a small business and retired with more money then I could possibly spend. Good Luck.

EDIT:- there are some good points in the post from 1800Geek however you would be far better served by doing your own thing, I do not recommend you throw your lot in with someone else, have confidence in your own ability, otherwise you may as well stay where you are.

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote