Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Certification & Career

IT career advice!

This is a discussion on IT career advice! within the Certification & Career forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone I'm new to the forum but have been reading around the forums for awhile now and decided on

Old 07-27-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum but have been reading around the forums for awhile now and decided on finally making an account. As of right now I am currently in the military (marines) but have about a year left before my active time is over with and I just now realize getting into the IT field is something i want to pursue but still debating on what field to get into. I got my Comptia A+ certification back in 2009 but it was a month long course I was volun-told to do that I never took seriously to begin with but still passed it. But now I want to further myself into getting a career in this. I'm in the communications field and my job is a telephony operator basically a phone guy. Programing phones on switch and running phone lines and fixing lines and replacing Cat 5 if they get messed up. I know I could get a job in telecommunications but that job just doesn't seem interesting for a life career for me. I also bought mike myers n+ book for me to self study an test out myself somewhere I figured that'd be next good cert to get. So if anyone has any advice or opinions on how to further myself in IT that'd be great!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

yes the N+ should be your next step then look at MCTS windows t. The 70-680 exam to be exact.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee
yes the N+ should be your next step then look at MCTS windows t. The 70-680 exam to be exact.
Cool thank you! Should i get security+ too?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

getting the security+ would be a good idea yes but generally you should have a bit of networking experience (in a job) before doing it.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote