Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Would be extremely grateful if someone could help me fix my hanging PC

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Zimmerman23 
#1 · (Edited)
It hangs randomly, 1-3 times per day. Usually while in a(low graphically demanding) game, but sometimes I can just be out of game and it will still occur. What specifically happens: Suddenly I will see a black screen, and then sound will gradually die over 1-3 seconds, and then I will get a computer that is still on, but completely unresponsive to mouse/keyboard input. I used to think the game had something to do with it, but I'm not so sure now. A certain games client is always running when this crash occurs(League of Legends), but I'm not always in the official game, sometimes just the client. Other than that, I don't know what could cause this issue. It first started when I was between video cards, several weeks ago. I had used both an older card and my onboard video while waiting for my card's replacement. This is when the first hang occurred. Since installing the new card, the hangs have not stopped. I have already tried doing things like clean uninstall/reinstall of display drivers, rolling back to older drivers, testing my RAM, monitoring temperatures, looking at windows reliability history(Only shows my computer not being shut down properly and nothing that could be causing the hang).

My specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
MSI H81M-E34 (MS-7817) (SOCKET 0) 36 °C
Graphics
ASUS VH236H (1920x1080@60Hz)
4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 380 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 52 °C
Storage
232GB Crucial CT250BX100SSD1 ATA Device (SSD) 24 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB ATA Device
PSU
EVGA 80+ Bronze 500w

See less See more
#2 ·
can you explain more what happens? post screen shots? any error messages?

check for game updates? video card updates, windows 7 updates and directx updates.

check device manager for any issues, if your are using the video card disable the onboard graphics from the bios change to pci express. then save reboot the system the other thing to check is the memory.

MemTest for Windows Download Page

download memtest to see if your memory has any issues.

#3 ·
I described the issue in detail in my post, please read it. There is nothing to screenshot, I said the PC hangs( Black screen, no mouse/keyboard input, PC is on and needs to be manually restarted. Image turns black--> Any sound(video, music, game) slowly dies in 1-3 seconds after black screen).

No error, I said there is no record of what happened, that is why I use the term "Hang" rather than crash.

I already mentioned that I have tried doing various updates, drivers, I have already checked my RAM, no memory issues.

I have already gone into my Bios and selected PCI-E as the default display device, when I installed the card. As far as Device manager, there has been one Issue always present for around a year and a half now: Teredo Tunneling Adapter gives the following Error in the description: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I do not believe this is related to the issue of crashes, since I've had that status for over a year and a half. No other issues.

#5 · (Edited)
Re: BSOD Kernel Dump Analysis - Discussion

Please guys. I don't know what else to do or where to go. I don't have the money to have someone with expertise look at my system. My funds are zero, and im hanging 3-4 times per day, and it's only getting worse.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-could-help-me-fix-my-hanging-pc-1190209.html

I know this probably isn't the correct place to post this.. but if anyone out there with any expertise could make sense of the perfmon/sysnative i posted in that thread I would be forever in your debt. I don't have a crash dump because it hangs, there is no crash. Just a black screen PC with no keyboard/mouse response. Reliability history shows nothing, just that windows wasn't shut down properly. I just finished running memtest with no errors, so it's not that. I've done everything I can with my limited knowledge, scoured the internet for weeks for solutions.. my brain is fried. Please help :frown:

#6 ·
I looked through the .dmp file for the forced crash you did on Apr 7th, nothing really stands out, though seeing 8 gig of ram installed and 16 gig of virtual memory makes me wonder if you have a hard drive hanging up with all the reads/writes.
Set you virtual memory to the same as the installed or no more then 1.5x the installed size, for now its probably best to let Windows control the size.

It's been a while since I used Win7 but in step 7 here you'll see a box that says "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" put a check in in the box hit apply and then OK to exit out of all the dialog boxes.

What do you have installed for antivirus / antimalware programs?

For testing I would remove all and use Microsoft MSE free > https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14210/security-essentials-download

Lastly since you have so many hard drive read / writes with the virtual memory setting test the hard drive using WD's data lifeguard for dos > Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support to see if it may be what is actually hanging.

#9 · (Edited)
WhoCrashed wasn't of any use, these are not crashes, but hangs. I already checked windows to make sure it was supposed to reboot on system failure. But yeah, just black screen and all inputs dead.

This is what I had when I first went into the settings for virtual memory:

http://i.imgur.com/3Klyhxx.png

This is what I changed after following the instructions on that page:

http://i.imgur.com/MjTxMWP.png

Is this okay?

I only have two hard drives, an ssd and an hdd, but the virtual ones may be from some software I used to mount images for games. Not sure how to delete those virtual drives because I don't use them. Can't currently find this software after quickly checking. I just uninstalled my AV(I had a free trial of bit defender), but I also use MalwareBytes and Zemana Anti-Malware and like 2 other software I think. Most people who gave their 2 cents told me one of three things, this is either a driver conflict, a motherboard issue, or my powersupply. I don't think this is an issue with malicious programs, but I could be wrong.

As for the WD software, it doesn't appear I can run this right now as I lack a USB drive. Same reason I've been struggling to find out how to update my Bios, but I've been told my motherboard can do that without a USB drive and just do it from my hard drive. I will give that a try soon, but It's something I'm scared to do because I've never done it and I've heard horror stories.

Dave Cummings said:
do you use chrome?
Yes

#10 ·
It turns out I already have the latest BIOS and I just updated all the latest drivers for things like USB 3.0 and Sound drivers and whatnot, and I still experienced hangs last night after. :/ Looks like that direction will take me nowhere.

Some system snapshots from Hardware monitor software:

http://i.imgur.com/sJUyVth.png
http://i.imgur.com/ZtrfTKn.png

Does anything look faulty that anyone can see?

#12 ·
It crashes while in game, every time. These are very low spec games, such as League of Legends/Hearthstone. I run games which are relatively high spec on high settings with no issues. I've had 1 or 2 hangs just browsing, but 95% of them occur in game.

#16 ·
Hey everyone. I'm back after a while of trying everything I'm able to try. I resorted to a clean install of windows 3 days ago, and everything seemed to be working fine.. and just now.. Bam..

Hang. First the black screen. Then keyboard LED turns off, and this time the hang has somewhat mutated. My sound did not die. It just warped into a constant, unending

"Brrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

..buzz. I'm out of ideas, I have no idea what else I can do. If anyone out there could help me, It would mean so much. Please :confused:

#18 ·
I would make testing the hard drive a priority.

In the mean time lets get a look at the temps and voltages.
D/L and run Hardware Monitor do something intense like a virus scan or gaming for a bit, Alt+Tab back to HWM expand all the trees and use the Win7 snipping tool to grab a screen shot of the HWM window, post the screen shot using the paperclip button in the advanced message box(Go Advanced button).

#19 ·
48 hour test of ram using Memtest86, no errors. Tested the hard drives and SSD with Seagate's software Seatools for windows. Both S.M.A.R.T. and Long generic tests passed on all drives. I've since purchased a new, higher wattage PSU (Seasonic), and the issue just occurred again since replacing the PSU. No clue what to do from here. I've monitored temperatures for months now because that's the first thing that worried me, and I've never seen any strange temperatures. This issue never occurs at full load by the way. I can run something like 3dMark benchmarking and push my system to the limit and this issue will not happen. It only happens during low graphic demanding games than can be run fine on ancient systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.