Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

Windows7 Applications crash

This is a discussion on Windows7 Applications crash within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. A couple of months ago for some reason I don't know my applications started crashing. Let's imagin I'm playing

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. A couple of months ago for some reason I don't know my applications started crashing. Let's imagin I'm playing some game suddenly all the applications I have open(ie skype,WMP,firefox,game, etc) just stop responding and there's no particular error message.

I've checked for viruses, I've cleaned and fixed registry errors, all my drivers are updated and I haven't installed anything new and actualy I just formated my computer 2 days ago but this error keeps happening. Also when those applications crash they dont open again unless I restart the computer.

I went to a place where my computer has been fixed or upgraded a few times and they said that there was nothing wrong with the hardware also the temperatures were fine always between 40 and 50 degrees. Meanwhile I've been searching the internet for what could possibly cause this and the only thing I came across that made any sense so far was this Applications may crash in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2 .

After finding that I've been searching for a way to fix it. I mean I'm not even sure it is that issue since there's no error message but it is exactly what happens.

If anyone knows any solution for this problem or even if you wanna suggest something else that could be causing these applications crashes please fire away because I'm desperate here. I mean if after formating this continues occuring everything seems kinda hopeless.

Here are my computer specs:
Win7 Ultimate 64 Bits SP1
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3,20ghz
4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz
ATI Sapphire Radeon 5830
Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF

OK so after you have wiped the machine and reinstall windows did you update your drivers as well as windows updates? (i know just making sure )

If that so, what are the usual softwares you run on your computer besides skype, firefox
what games?

While we are waiting lets start with hardware diagnostics
In my signature you will see a link for memtest
download that and burn it on a CD as a bootable image
Now turn the PC off
And remove all RAM sticks from your computer except for one
run 8-11 passes if everything clear shutdown the Pc and remove that RAM stick
Put in the next RAM stick and test that one

Memory Test
Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

I don't rly have any cds or pen drives with me right now that I could use to boot. I'll try to work on that tomorow. As for the programs usualy apart from skype firefox and WMP I have Daemon tools open sometimes and the AV. As for games. since this started happening I've played borderlands,race driver grid,blur,split second,amnesia,bulletstorm and league of legends.

Anyways I never have like 2 games open at the same time. Not like my computer couldn't handle it but it simply makes no sense. I don't rly recall having any other programs/games open on a daily baisis.

Sometimes I had vlc to watch movies and MKV converter or atube catcher. But less reguarly. like once a week maybe.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

My System

Ok Again going back to it
You need to get your hands on a external CD/dvd drive to test your memory

As for your AV goes uninstall that for right now and get Microsoft Security Essentials
As for Daemon tools uninsall those as well they are usually a big cause behind crashes and BSODS
Memory Test
Old 04-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

I have Security essentials as AV. As for daemon tools I rly need a program that is capable of reading ISO files. Doesn't necessarily have to be Daemon tools, I can get powerISO or alcohol if you think they would make any diference
Old 04-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

My System

Ya that is fine its just for time being so we can eliminate known software that cause crashes and once we figure out the actual cause you can get poweriso which i use for virtual Drive purposes and has never crashed my system
Memory Test
Old 04-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi again so today I used the memory test you mentioned and everything went fine. there were no errors or anything similar. Meanwhile I've been doing a little bit more of research and I came across with more possibilitys of what could be causing this and I would like your opinion once again wether I should or not try to fix with any of the following.

First one is regarding codec packs especially the k-lite codec pack which millions of people use. While this made no sense to me because so many people use it I suppose it's still a possiblity.

The second one was the DEP protection which can sometimes assume that harmless programs could damage the system leading to crashes. This one actualy made some sense to me but it's weird that it would crash all those programs at the same time and not just one.

The third one was regarding registry issues in the following folder: HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/SQMclient/Windows/disabledsessions /v MachineThrottling /f
Now I couldnt find this folder. I went to the disabledsessions on regedit but the only thing I found didn't have that name and I'm no registry expert or anything but when this problem started a registry issue was my first consideration.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

Bulletstorm
Version=1
EventType=APPCRASH
EventTime=129781496565358817
ReportType=2
Consent=1
ReportIdentifier=9e98f0b4-7f88-11e1-a9a0-bcaec56cb84d
IntegratorReportIdentifier=9e98f0b3-7f88-11e1-a9a0-bcaec56cb84d
WOW64=1
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Nome da aplicação
Sig[0].Value=ShippingPC-StormGame.exe
Sig[1].Name=Versão da aplicação

League of Legends

Version=1
EventType=APPCRASH
EventTime=129781496655223957
ReportType=2
Consent=1
ReportIdentifier=a4341c88-7f88-11e1-a9a0-bcaec56cb84d
IntegratorReportIdentifier=a4341c87-7f88-11e1-a9a0-bcaec56cb84d
WOW64=1
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Value=LolClient.exe

Version=1
EventType=APPCRASH
EventTime=129781497633169892
ReportType=2
Consent=1
ReportIdentifier=de7e88e8-7f88-11e1-a9a0-bcaec56cb84d
IntegratorReportIdentifier=de7e88e7-7f88-11e1-a9a0-bcaec56cb84d
WOW64=1
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Value=Skype.exe

I've downloaded Appcrashview yday and here is a crash that happened today. All programs crashed at 2:34 AM. not sure if this can help you figure it out in any way but it's all I have
Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

My System

Follow this and post the files here
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html
Memory Test
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Registered Member

hmmm is "B. BSOD File Collection app"supposed to say "waiting for systeminfo" forever? It created a folder on documents like it's said with multiple things but the app itself never closed after. So I wonder if I am supposed to close it at this point or something went wrong
Attached Files
File Type: zip BSOD Win7.zip (418.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

My System

Well i got some spanish info in there lol

but that will work
no BSOD crash dump files
going back to the memory test. did you follow my instruction and run memtest on each stick individually while removed the other sticks or just on all of them?
Memory Test
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
Registered Member

Actualy it's portuguese :D If you need me to translate anything or to change language and redo that that's perfectly fine with me :)
Also last time yea indeed I forgot to test 1 memory and then the other one after so now I performed the test again. So 1 memory was perfectly fine 0 errors.

The other 1 accused 1 error and this is the info from it:
TST-8|pass-0|Failing adress-0063011f24-1584.0 Mb|Good - 1057d22a|Bad - 1056d22a|err-bits - 00010000|count-1

Anyways do you think. even if this is the issue that this could cause the malfunction and appcrash? because I mean even with 2GB DDR3 my computer would still not be working at its full potential even while playing games at maximum quality.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

My System

I would replace that RAM Stick or just run the computer with 2GB until you get a replacment

Quote:
Anyways do you think. even if this is the issue that this could cause the malfunction and appcrash? because I mean even with 2GB DDR3 my computer would still not be working at its full potential even while playing games at maximum quality.
I am sorry i dont understand that part
yes if you lower your RAM down by removing that bad RAM you will have 2gb
but even with that you should be able to use your computer as for gaming i would recommend that you do that once you replace that bad stick
Memory Test
Old 04-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Registered Member

What I ment was do you believe that this RAM stick is what is causing the error? I mean even if the RAM is not working properly it shouldn't interfere actively in computer functions right? Otherwise this app crash would happen more often.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

Alright so after 1 month I finally bought new memory sticks. And I tried once again to start a live stream. yesterday I tried it for about 25 mins then another 20 mins and everything went smooth with no errors everything just working perfectly. Today I tried to stream once again and this bloody error started happening again. so I did the memory test once again on both this memorys on every single RAM socket in my motherboard and there were no errors.

I rly start to despair with this situation. It's not the program itself for sure(xsplit btw). millions of people use it and there isn't a single one of them complaining about appcrashes in the forums. I mean if my computer was a piece of junk I'd get it but even if it was it should give me a BSOD instead of crashing my entire list of open applications at the point of the crash.

If you still got any ideas left fire away because I'm rly all out of ideas here.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
Registered Member

have you checked you video card?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
Registered Member

well for starters if it was the videocard I suppose this issue would also occur with the desktop and not just applications but yes my video card is working fine and all my hardware is updated to the latest version.
But tbh all I can rly say that I'm 100% sure about is that. This error occurs without warning but it doesn't occur that often but everytime I try to stream using xsplit this error occurs as soon as the game turns to full screen and in this case it's not even full screen because I put the settings to borderless. Anyways this is the only clue I have and since there's noone complaining about it on xsplit forums I am gonna assume that out of millions of people using it the program didn't just decide to pick on me
Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
Registered Member

bump!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

My System

Ok lets run some hardware tests
Quote:
1) Download hard drive diagnostic tool from your hard drive manufacturer Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
2) Burn that on CD as bootable image
3) Boot your computer with that CD
4) Run extensive test
CHKDSK -
Another way to find errors and bad sectors on the disk is to run use “CHKDSK”
Open up command prompts with elevated privileges
Type in “CHKDSK /F” – to fix errors on the disk
Type in “CHKDSK /R” – finds bad sectors and recovers readable information
SSD-
If you are running windows on SSD than it is very important to check for firmware upgrade for your
SSD. A lot of people will forget to do this (specially self builders) and will encounter tons of problems
that will either crash their systems or give them BSODs. So always check for the SSD firmware upgrade
before or even after installing the OS to avoid any issues.
Firmware upgrade tools are available at SSD manufacturer's websites and are very simple to use.

CPU Test
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
Download Prime 95

2) Run furmark test to see if there are issues with your actual hardware.
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
Memory Test
Old 05-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
Registered Member

Ok I'm starting to run this hardware tests so for starters I went to the website you posted on step 1 the thing is I ended up here >>> WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Caviar Green / GP and I've choosen the last option because well my computer is a windows anyways the content of that download isn't an ISO file instead it's a exe/setup file. Anyways I installed that and apparently it is doing the same it's running the test on the hard drive as I'm writting this.

In any case if there's an ISO and if the test could possibly differ from this one please let me know so I can find it. As for the CHKDSK I'll start running it tonight hopefully tomorow will be done. I'm saying hopefully because well my computer is rly fast but I started it about 30 mins ago but I ended up quitting coz it was going rly slowly so I'll start it before going to sleep.

As for the SSD that ain't the case and the remaining tests I'll do them and repor to you the results after doing the first 2 I haven't done yet.

Once again thank you for your time