Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 7 Unmountable Boot Volume

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Wrench97 
#1 ·
A friend has a samsung laptop with windows 7. She turned it on the other day and would not boot. I determined it was throwing an Unmountable Boot Volume error. None of the repair options including safe mode would work. I have a windows 7 64bit repair disc and and windows 7 installation disc. I have tried both. When I put the installation disc in, it loads the windows files, starts windows and gets to the setup screen to choose language, etc. I select Next and I get to the screen with the option of install now and below has the Repair your computer option. Repair option did nothing, so I tried the Install now option. It just says Setup is starting and the spinning circle just keeps spinning. I have tried resetting the settings in the bios, removing the battery and holding the power key for 30 sec and rebooting, but no luck. I tried using Knoppix and can see all the files on the hard drives, so I don't think the hard drive is gone, but I have run out of options to try. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doc

#5 ·
Thanks for the help. Legacy USB support is enabled. So I guess the drive is the culprit. She told me she has nothing of importance on the computer, so a new drive would not be a problem, but it would be nice to get it like it is now so she has all the programs, etc she has setup now (like Skype, etc). I don't know what disks she has, so let me ask you a couple questions.

First, if I get a new drive and use the windows 7 64bit installation disk I have, will that work as long as I use the product key that is on the computer to install it?

Second, I removed the hard drive from the laptop and hooked it up as a secondary drive on my desktop. I was able to view the contents and copied everything to my desktop as a precaution. It has a WindowImageBackup folder that says Backup 2014-03-30 230011. If I reinstall windows with a new drive, and then copy this folder over to the new drive, would I be able to get her computer back to what it was on 3/30? Or, it also has a folder with her name, and when I look inside the contents, there are alot of Backup Set folders with different dates, then subfolders titled backup Files, and then in those folders backup files1.zip and backupfiles2.zip. Are these restore files, and could I use them to restore the new drive? Hope that all made sense.

Thanks again for all the help.
Doc

#7 ·
The connector looked fine. I was thinking that it could be the controller as well, and if it is the controller or a drive power issue, in either case it would need a new drive. So I ordered a new one (only $50, including shipping). For the money, it just wasn't worth all the headaches. So given that, how would you answer the other two questions about the re-installation and then possibly being able to recover the information with the image that was there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.