Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

Windows 7 install multiple failed attempts: perpetual reboot

This is a discussion on Windows 7 install multiple failed attempts: perpetual reboot within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a build that is causing a lot of problems and would like any advice you can share. I

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a build that is causing a lot of problems and would like any advice you can share. I will list complete build details at end of post.

On the first hard drive windows took a while to install, several restarts in middle of process but it eventually went on. After few weeks windows would restart intermittently until eventually it would not boot at all. Last known good config, Windows restore, repair install would not resolve. I ran manufacturer HD diagnostic and it failed so I replaced hard drive.

On new HDD I ran manufacturer diagnostic and it shows good. On 2 Windows installs it installs most of the way but on the final step where it first boots to windows and finalizes the configuration it BSOD's and restarts. I can not find the setting in the bios to stop auto restart on BSOD, I'll call mobo manufacturer on that.

Here are my windows install steps
  • Test Hard disk, tests good
  • Boot to win 7 install cd, windows loads files and starts install process
  • Install screen select English language
  • Accept license
  • Select custom, advanced option for new install
  • select drive, create partition (1 full drive partition)
  • select format
  • Install process copy > expand > features > complete all go 100%
  • reboot > "loading operating system" > "Starting windows" > windows screen "updating registry" > "setup is starting devices" > "completing install" > "setup will continue after restart"
  • Computer restarts
  • Bypass CD boot
  • "Starting Windows"
  • Hard disk makes a noise
  • Restart - BSOD flashes too fast to see error
  • repeat endless loop

Build info
  • Windows 64 business
  • Original bad hard disk WD6401AALS
  • New hard disk Seagate Barracuda ST3250318AS
  • Core i5-750
  • Mobo Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
  • Ram G.Skill 2X2GB DDR3-2200
  • PSU Corsair 750TX
  • Cooler master centurion
  • 5 ATX mid tower

Old 12-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

What is the origin of the Windows 7 DVD?

Wipe entire HDD with KillDisk and reinstall Windows 7 again.

KillDisk - http://jcgriff2.com/0x1/killdisk_imgburn.html

Windows 7 installation via DVD should take less than 45 minutes.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

I purchased the DVD from newegg it is an OEM system builder pack. I've also tried multiple win 7 64 install disks.

I just tried ultimate bootdisk and it also blue screened, error 7B.

I'll try killdisk out thanks that way git rid of any lingering data that may be corrupt.

I also found similar circumstance, looks like possibly G.skill in slots 1 and 3, p55a-ud3, and i-series might be perfect storm. I'm going to try somethings on this angle too. This build in this post is hauntingly similar
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/617845.aspx
Old 12-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

Some more evidence that there could be memory incompatibility between G.Skill Ram and GA-P55A-UD3 Motherboard
http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6209
Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Windows is loaded into RAMDISK (drive x:) for installation.

RAM theory does make sense.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Registered Member

Gskill reccommended I turn on XMP in the BIOS to auto-detect the more advanced high speed ram. With this setting I was able to install windows 7 64 but I am still getting a reboot behavior I am uncomfortable with. The system accepted Win 7 install now when you power on it goes through post with no error. When message comes up "loading OS" the computer reboots again seemingly without cause, then it boots into windows normally and seems ok. This happens on every restart or cold power on.
1.) from cold power on or restart from windows
2.) computer posts
3.) message says loading OS, computer shuts of and restarts
4.) computer posts
5.) computer successfully boots to windows

I turned off "automatically restart on crash" and now BSOD appears so this seems to be an issue before OS loads.

Given the behavior changed due to a BIOS RAM tweak is it mostly safe to assume this is a ram stability issue?
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hey I just wanted to update. This was definitely a RAM issue. The Gigabyte mobo default settings for this model will only recognize RAM up to speed 1333 MHz. So even though the RAM is 2200 speed it was setting it as 1333 automatically This was underpowering the RAM creating lots of issues which actually eventually runied the hard disk.

In Gigabyte there is a setting for XMP that needs to be set from Auto to Profile1. This is what Gigabyte told me is advanced memory recognition. Once set it recognized the full 2200 speed of my memory but I still had issues. I eventually had to set the clock multiplyer from 10.0 to 8.0 which slowed the speed to 1600Mhz but has stabilized the system. Like most of us I will sacrifice speed for stability.

This issue also occured on a GA-H55M-USB3 model with A-Series 1600 speed memory. The memory was running underpowerd and at 1333 and it eventually corrupted my windows install. Once I set XMP to profile1 it recognized the 1600 speed and I am in the process of reinstalling windows as the hard drive tested ok,

This is my fault in both cases for not buying memory and a mobo that were each listed on manufacturer site as having been tested. Lesson learned. Also if you have one of these boards and memory that is faster than DDR1333 you may want to look into the XMP settings or you may have stability issues.