Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WIN 7 new build BSoD, TDR, and unstability

5K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
Hello all :wave: This seems like a pretty cool place I am surprised I haven't found it before!

Hardware Spec:
OCZ 500 watt stealth stream PSU
Cooler Master RC-690 case
Western Digital Caviar Black 620GB HDD
Samsung 22x DVD Burner
ASUS M4A78T-E Socket AM3 790GX chipset (BIOS 2105) MoBo
onboard Radeon HD3300
AMD Socket AM3 Phenom II X4 965 BE (stock HSF no overclock)
4GB (2X2GB) OCZ obsidian DDR3 1600
I recycled an old compaq keyboard
a new Logitech wireless mouse
and ancient Northgate Innovations 15" LCD Monitor

I am using Windows 7 pro 64bit

I have RAM set in BIOS @1333mhz as my MoBo doesn't run 1600 natively, also I have the voltage set to 1.66 manufacturer specs is 1.65 but my BIOS only allows .02 increments)

it all started the day I built the system (less then a week ago) I built it, updated my BIOS, and all AMD/ATI drivers for my hardware.I started getting TDR events with my ATI driver being recovered/restared, shortly followed by a BSoD. After a crash course in the most basic usage of window debugging tools I saw it was calling out Atikmdag.sys, which after much forum trolling and googleing seems to be a pretty widespread issue. When I had the most up to date ATI drivers and catylist control center installed i would get TDR events every minuet or so, and my display was crappy, kind of pixleated showing small 'tears' or slits in the desktop and big flashing blocks like an old NES game not loaded right. If I used the scroll wheel on my mouse the page i was scrolling would go blank... Anyways after uninstalling all ATI software I can now at least use the comp, but it is still failing prime 95 and if i stress the onboard GPU at all i get TDR or BSoD probably because i am not using ATI drivers.

Basicly I have tried old drivers, newest drivers, drivers only wih no CCC, only one stick of RAM, MSCONFIG/Boot Tab and manually setting cores and Max RAM, I have also tried running my RAM ganged into one channel. So far the only way I have been able to keep the system stable enough to even test stability is by not running any ATI software/Drivers at all, but now my GPU is unstable and I am still hainge stress test problems with the whole system.

A Major concern of mine is I don't know if i should change my RAM out for something with more documented support from my MoBo, could the RAM failing be adding to all my Blue screens and the failure of my GPU? I have succesfully run Memtest86+ on my RAM for a couple hours with no failure so i think the RAM is good but it might not be interacting well with the rest of my set up...:sigh:

I have never built from scratch just rebuilt old systems back before SATA, muti-cores and PCIe so I am just really at a loss as to what my next steps should be.:4-dontkno

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi and welcome to TSF your support folder does not contain any dump files please try to upload them follow the instructions here http://www.techsupportforum.com/1871981-post2.html also look in C:\windows\minidump.or check in the eventviewer for further info,your perfmon shows hardware errors
error

symptom: tv_ConfigMgrErr19
cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
details: The device, ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr19". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is VideoController1.
resolution: 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.
related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager
Manage Devices in Windows

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

symptom: tv_ConfigMgrErr19
cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
details: The device, ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr19". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is PCI\VEN_1002-DEV_9614-SUBSYS_834D1043-REV_00\4-456635-0-2808.
resolution: 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.
related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager
Manage Devices in Windows

info

symptom: The Security Center has not recorded an anti-virus product.
cause: The Security Center is unable to identify an active anti-virus application. Either there is no anti-virus product installed or it is not recognized.
resolution: 1. Verify that an anti-virus product is installed.
2. If an anti-virus product is installed and functioning configure Security Center to stop monitoring anti-virus status.
related: Anti-virus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

severity: Information
Warning: The "CPU" rating for the system is poor and may be the cause of performance problems. Reducing the number of open applications may improve system performance. Check for unnecessary startup applications and disable those that are not required. If the problem continues the CPU may need to be upgraded.
related: Performance Diagnosis

Warning: The "Gaming graphics" rating for the system is poor and may be the cause of performance problems in multimedia applications or games. Disabling Aero Glass may improve performance in multimedia applications or games. If the problem continues the display adapter may need an updated driver or may need to be upgraded.

Warning: The "Graphics" rating for the system is poor and may be the cause of performance problems. Disabling Desktop Composition or reducing screen resolution may improve graphical performance. If the problem continues the display adapter may need an updated driver or may need to be upgraded.

Warning: The "Disk" rating for the system is poor and may be the cause of performance problems. Reducing the number of open applications may improve system performance. Ensure the disk has adequate free space and is defragmented. Check for unnecessary startup applications and disable those that are not required. If the problem continues the disk may need to be upgraded.

Warning: The "Memory" rating for the system is very poor and may be the cause for performance issues. Reducing the number of open applications may improve system performance. Check for unnecessary startup applications and disable those that are not required. If the problem continues the memory may need to be upgraded.

alltests

alltestgroups allteststatus alltestdesc
OS Checks Passed Checks for attributes of the operating system
allchildtest allchildtotal allchildfail allchilddesc
OS Version Check 1 0 Passed

Disk Checks Passed Checks for disk status
SMART Predict Failure Check 1 0 Passed
Logical Disk Dirty Bit Check 1 0 Passed

Security Center Tests Passed Checks for state of Security Center related information.
User Account Control Enabled Check 1 0 Passed
Windows Update Enabled Check 1 0 Passed

System Service Checks Passed Checks for state of system services
Abnormally Terminated Services Check 1 0 Passed
Workstation Service Check 1 0 Passed

Hardware Device and Driver Checks Failed Survey of Windows Management Infrastructure supported devices.

you appear to have no anti virus,your ati card needs a driver update,your ram is another area of concern,please try to get the minindumps so that someone here can further narrow your issue,also your psu may be underpowered for the system

#4 ·
Yes I have no ATI drivers installed on purpose, it's the only way I can currently get the system to run without crashing. I do not have any anti-virus installed as I have been contemplating a fresh OS install again. I don't know why I don't have any minidumps in that folder, that thread is what I followed... perhapse I zipped the wrong folder. I'll redo that tonight after work.

#5 ·
I tried to update my chipset again, I managed to install the ati driver for onboard gpu (no crash or tdr yet (less then a couple hours) installed AVAST! I also updated my DirectX I went ahead and set my CPU settings to manual and upped my NB VID from standard it seems to be functioning but I still cannot get PRIME95 to run a blended test. here is a new attempt at my TSF support folder, I ran a new perfmon but for some reason it still says everything is poor and i have no anti virus.:4-dontkno

Attachments

#6 ·
well shortly after I posted here last night I crashed as soon as i tried to run a web page that had some video and graphics in the page, crashed and when it came back my desktop was funny looking so I had to disable aero, it seems to at least now be able to browse with aero off but I can't run any video or graphics else I get a TDR event and/or a BSoD here is a new crashdump. also here is a screen shopt of my desktop all jacked up after the reboot with aero still on. http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/144/bsod.png

Attachments

#7 ·
Hi the info you have is the same as the crashdump bugcheck 0x116 atikmdag+11649
symbol stack_index 4 which all points to your graphics driver.I dont know which version you have but if the latest is not working try a earlier version,the one other thing I mentioned before was your psu which may be under powered they can run 20% under the stated wattage,this is the tolerance allowed for them the last thing i can think of doing is testing your card to see if it has any issue

#9 ·
Hi I have had others test with occt But recently I had someone tell me it is known to give false positives that does not mean it is not usefull, but I thought it only fair to let you know of the possibility so give it a try it should at least give some indication

#10 ·
It seems that my RAM is a big part of this issue I can boot with both sticks or one of each but I only get video erros and prime errors when i run both sticks or just one (meaning when i run just the other one I am good) I thought i had already done a full one stick trial run but I mussed have not run prime95... now I am only running one 2GB stick and things are working pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.