Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

Stuck at the TOSHIBA startup screen

This is a discussion on Stuck at the TOSHIBA startup screen within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I apologize in advance if this thread belongs to another forum. I had (just half an hour ago) finished installing

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

I apologize in advance if this thread belongs to another forum.

I had (just half an hour ago) finished installing some Windows updates on my Toshiba netbook NB200 (Windows XP SP3) and clicked the option to proceed to restart the computer. I came back a few minutes later to the TOSHIBA startup screen (with the grey bar at the bottom telling me to press F2 for setup and F12 for boot devices).

I pressed F12 and there was a message at the grey area saying "Entering boot devices" or something of that nature, but it would essentially freeze at that until I pressed Esc, at which point I got a black screen with white font telling me the system specs and again to press either F2 or F12. After pressing F12, nothing happened so I manually turned off the computer (holding the power button down for 5 seconds). After 10 seconds, I turned on the computer again to the same startup screen, so I pressed F2 this time, and I got a message "Please wait". The computer stalled at this page so I turned off the computer again. It was only by unplugging my mouse, keyboard, and monitor that I was finally able to access my hard drive, but the startup screen still appeared at first for around 1 second.

I have encountered the startup screen various times after having reinstalled Windows two months ago, but I have always been able to bypass it by turning the computer on while holding F12 (I tried this, but to no avail).

Would the problem be related to these devices, and if so, why would there be a problem now when there has never been such a problem? I was told that the startup screen is a way for Windows to indicate that the system has recovered from some error, but there have been no Windows messages of any sort.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

Hi

Have you tried pressing F8 during Boot process on Toshiba logo screen with black background and choose the option of Safe mode without networking if you get into safe mode
Go to system restore and restore it to a date prior to your updates being installed

Memory Test
Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

After successfully booting up my mini-notebook yesterday, I have not experienced further problems with accessing Windows in normal mode (no startup screen appears). Should I still restore the system to the time prior to installing the (Windows) updates?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Tech Hardware Team
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

No if you able to boot into normal mode and there is no issue than you are fine
Memory Test
Closed Thread