Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] Windows 7 repeated BSOD's

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Windows 7 repeated BSOD's within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I recently built a new machine and have had the BSOD's occur 2 while installing Steam games and one

Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello I recently built a new machine and have had the BSOD's occur 2 while installing Steam games and one while just browsing the net I've zipped and attached the mini dump files for analysis, and help would be appreciated.

Derek
Attached Files
File Type: zip Minidump.zip (70.1 KB, 28 views)
Bubbles721987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

Three dumps attached: POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA (de / IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) and an unknown bugcheck code. Given the pool corruption bugcheck as well as the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL faulting memory corruption, I am going to go ahead and recommend enabling Driver Verifier as there is likely a device driver issue:

Quote:
What is Driver Verifier?
Driver Verifier is included in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.
Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver by flagging it and causing your system to BSOD.
Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
How to enable Driver Verifier:
Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -
1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7)
- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.
Important information regarding Driver Verifier:
- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.
- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.
If this happens, do not panic, do the following:
- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.
- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.
- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:
- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.
- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
- Restart and boot into normal Windows.
How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?
It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 36-48 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.
My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?
They will be located in C:\Windows\Minidump
Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617
Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB View Post
Hi,

Three dumps attached: POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA (de / IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a) and an unknown bugcheck code. Given the pool corruption bugcheck as well as the IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL faulting memory corruption, I am going to go ahead and recommend enabling Driver Verifier as there is likely a device driver issue:

Regards,

Patrick

Thanks, followed your instructions and then booted back into Windows normally i'lll update this if I need anything else.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

Great work, keep me updated : )

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi,

Great work, keep me updated : )

Regards,

Patrick

After doing what you said and running the driver verifier I was able to identify and remove a bad driver and all was well for a few days and then the bsod's started up again kn a hunch I ran memtest86 and bsme up with about 2200 errors divided between 2 of the 10 tests (tests 7 and 10) I then got the attached dump file last night. Between that and the memtest errors I think I have some bad RAM, thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: zip 072513-29530-01.zip (19.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

I am not going to bother looking at the new dumps as you mentioned you have received errors in Memtest. This is indicative of faulty memory.

I would now recommend testing one stick at a time and finding which is the issue. Once you do, you can use that one stick until you manage to replace the faulty stick with a new kit of RAM.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi,

I am not going to bother looking at the new dumps as you mentioned you have received errors in Memtest. This is indicative of faulty memory.

I would now recommend testing one stick at a time and finding which is the issue. Once you do, you can use that one stick until you manage to replace the faulty stick with a new kit of RAM.

Regards,

Patrick
Thanks Patrick, I'll try the one stick at a time test tomorrow (its late or I'd do it tonight), but I am going to go ahead and order a new kit soon anyway I'll update the thread when I have new info.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds great!!!

Regards,

Patrick
Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds great!!!

Regards,

Patrick
Okay so there is finally and end to this long story. I bought some new RAM (AMD Radeon Performance Series 16GB 1866). I initially had an issue with it only booting at 1600 even after switching speed in the BIOS. I ran Memtest and Windows Memory Diagnostic on each stick with no errors. So I switched to the other memory channel om my dual channel board and it booted at 1866 and ran 5 minutes then BSOD, so I do more research and my motherboard (Asus Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0 GEN3) had been discontinued and rumor has it it was due to memory controller issues with the board. However just trying some this in the BIOS I ran the memory under a D.O.C.P profile supported by the board at the rated timings and speed and low and behold 2+ weeks no issues whatsoever, so I think my issues are finally over. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

Glad to hear, and good work. I've marked the thread as solved.

Regards,

Patrick