Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] Slow computer-no apparent reason

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Slow computer-no apparent reason within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! I ran the Spybot. I ran the antivirus scan. I ran CCleaner. Yet they find no threats. I don't

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Hello!

I ran the Spybot. I ran the antivirus scan. I ran CCleaner. Yet they find no threats.

I don't know why my computer has suddenly gotten slow in accessing websites, and shutting down. It used to shut down in under 1 minute. Now it takes 2-3 minutes to shut down.

Any idea what I might do next to speed up my computer?

Thanks.

PS I now use Vista Ultimate rather than Vista Home Premium as my OS. Where do I go to make changes and updates to my personal information? I'm sorry, I forgot.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

My money is on excessive CPU usage. Hit ctrl-alt-delete to pull up task manager and go to the processes tab. Then click "CPU" so it sorts by maximum CPU usage. Do this while you aren't running any programs, and see if something is using a lot (really, nothing should be using more than 5 when your computer is at rest, but if something is using, say 50+ it will greatly slow down your computer).

If this is, in fact, the case, post the process name here before ending it unless you are sure you know what you are doing.

EDIT: Also, let us know if your RAM usage is really high (70+) (It will tell you your RAM usage at the bottom of the task manager on the bottom edge of the window).

Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

TheDragonOfIce points out some good ideas.

Have you recently installed anything new?
Do you have several programs set to start automatically?

Please go to start|run and type msconfig <enter>
Go to the startup tab and try to determine if there are any entries that are not needed at startup and uncheck them.

If there are any unknown entries, post them here and we will see what they are and help you out with them.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

You can also try running Process Explorer to see what's running in the background and eating CPU cycles. It's an excellent, small, free utility from Microsoft.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

Also, check for fragmentation and give the drive a good defrag if necessary. It can help to decrease startup and shutdown times.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Hello and thanks for all the replies.

I did check the Task Manager and looked at the CPU tab. The most it showed was when the Task Manager itself was running which caused the CPU to jump up to 5-10 and then immediately dropped back down staying level around 5 cycles.

Everything else shows 0 cycles. I am running 62 Processes...my CPU usage ranges around 10%.

I did not see what you meant about the RAM usage. Is that the same as CPU usage?

I typed in the msconfig and I show 15 entries in my Startup lineup. Of them I might want to get rid of the Synaptics Pointing Device Driver from my Startup lineup. Will that cause it to stop working?

What I would like to do is take a screenshot of this info for you all to see and post it. I know how to take the screenshot, but how do I post it to this comment box?

The Process Explorer you mentioned....I looked at it and it is interesting but do I really need it? Can I not see the same info under the Performance Tab in Task Manager?

Defrag is something I haven't done in awhile. Thanks for reminding me. Let me do that and get back to you. Maybe that will help a lot.

Thanks and I hope I have provided you with some answers.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Is Vista SP2 installed?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Yes, SP2 is installed.

I like the Driver Reference Table. Very complete looking. I have not gotten a Blue Screen of Death yet....so is there anything about that website that I need to try?

Would you like me to run a HijackThis log file and post it here? Would that help anyone to see any problems?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Run HJT and -

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ns-452654.html

The output files may yield a clue.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Hi, again.
I got down to Step 4 on the BSOD page where it says Run a System Health Report. Where do I find this System Health Report? Then, when I typed in perfmon/report in the Start Search window-nothing happened.

I must not be doing this right. Can you tell me what to do here?

Anyway, let me try and post the HiJackThis info and the Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2 info here for you to peruse.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:37:39 AM, on 12/13/2010
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18975)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2011\avp.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
C:\Users\Mark\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = Preserve
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IEVkbdBHO - {59273AB4-E7D3-40F9-A1A8-6FA9CCA1862C} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2011\ievkbd.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: link filter bho - {E33CF602-D945-461A-83F0-819F76A199F8} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2011\klwtbbho.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2011\avp.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-495416417-2575851216-1319298064-1001\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'Mark')
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O9 - Extra button: &Virtual Keyboard - {4248FE82-7FCB-46AC-B270-339F08212110} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2011\klwtbbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: URLs c&heck - {CCF151D8-D089-449F-A5A4-D9909053F20F} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2011\klwtbbho.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\mzvkbd3.dll,C:\PROGRA~1\KASPER~1\KASPER~1\kloehk.dll
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus Service (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab ZAO - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 2011\avp.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SiSoftware Deployment Agent Service (SandraAgentSrv) - SiSoftware - C:\Program Files\SiSoftware\SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2010\RpcAgentSrv.exe
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 6346 bytes

I am having a lot of trouble posting the Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2 file to you.
Can you tell me how to zip it and then attach it to this post? I can't seem to get it to do right because I don't know all the procedures for zipping and attaching. Thanks.

I can also provide you with a BelArc diagnostic. This lists everything on my computer ( motherboard, CPU, OS, video card, all updates ever downloaded, etc., etc.). I hope it will post over in the form of Notepad like HiJackThis did. I can provide this info if you wish.

I await your reply telling me how to send you more.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #10
Registered Member

My System

I did a System Restore back to Dec 05 and it seems to have helped much.

I still have another problem (that of blank page hyperlinks) which it did nothing for, but the entire slowness issue seems to have improved.

Mind you, there is still some hesitancy in accessing some websites (as if the computer is not sure which way to go to get there to the website!) but it is nothing like before where you would have to wait 10 seconds or so before the computer decided what to do.

I still await your reply.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Enthusiast

My System

PM sent
Old 12-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Thank you for the reply.

I just opened this email and saw your reply. I did what you said and took off the Spybot and HP imaging from my Startup.

Is this supposed to help with the computer slowness? What will be the result of not having those two items in my Startup lineup?

I am satisfied after having done a System Restore back to Dec 05. This seems to have solved my problems and restored my computer back to the speed it was at.

My continuing problem is with a blank page hyperlink. That is, I can sometimes go to a website and find hyperlinks within that website and when I click on one, all I get is a blank page.

If there is no more about the slowness issue, I vote we close out this thread. Can you refresh my memory on how to do that? Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

I am satisfied that we have gone as far as we need to with this question.

Would someone refresh my memory on how to close this out? Thank you.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #14
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

I've marked the thread "SOLVED".

Closed Thread