Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] Several BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Several BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have recently re-installed my whole computer, due to a lot of BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe. I thought by doing

Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have recently re-installed my whole computer, due to a lot of BSOD caused by ntoskrnl.exe. I thought by doing so, I could get rid of it, but turns out, its still there.

I am no tech geek, when it comes to this kind of stuff, so I need your help.

I have not installed a lot of programs yet, only the nescesary and a few other programs, like Steam.
But I would like to know, what is causing it, so if any could help me, it would be great.

I have included 3 minidumps in a rar file. I hope thats enough, to clarify something.

If there is anything I need to do, please explain it with a simple language, as english is not my first language, and I am no computer expert, and know all the terms.

Thanks in advance :)
Attached Files
File Type: rar Minidump.rar (71.2 KB, 43 views)
Crulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

All of the attached DMP files are of the CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION (109) bugcheck.

This bugcheck is generated when the kernel detects that critical kernel code or
data have been corrupted. There are generally three causes for a corruption:

Quote:
1) A driver has inadvertently or deliberately modified critical kernel code
or data. See Patching Policy for x64-Based Systems

2) A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel
debugger that was not attached when the system was booted. Normal breakpoints,
"bp", can only be set if the debugger is attached at boot time. Hardware
breakpoints, "ba", can be set at any time.

3) A hardware corruption occurred, e.g. failing RAM holding kernel code or data.
Arguments:
#1 and #3 are relevant to your case as #2 is not likely whatsoever. What I'd like you to do is the following:

1. Remove !avast and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials for troubleshooting purposes:

!avast removal tool - avast! Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for avast! Removal

MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

If still crashing after removing and replacing !avast, enable Driver Verifier to ensure we aren't dealing with a device driver bug:

Driver Verifier:
Quote:
What is Driver Verifier?
Driver Verifier is included in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.
Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver by flagging it and causing your system to BSOD.
Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
How to enable Driver Verifier:
Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -
1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7)
- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.
Important information regarding Driver Verifier:
- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.
- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.
If this happens, do not panic, do the following:
- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.
- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.
- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:
- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.
- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
- Restart and boot into normal Windows.
How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?
It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 36-48 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.
My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?
They will be located in C:\Windows\Minidump
Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB View Post
1. Remove !avast and replace with Microsoft Security Essentials for troubleshooting purposes
I had installed Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer, and I am about to un-install Avast!.
Could it be Avast! who had caused these BSOD?
And will it be safe to install later on?

I had runned a malware check with System Protector, and found 3 on my computer. They were put in quarenteen, and I deleted them. Might be a foolish idea though, not to even write their names down.

Either way, Ill un-install Avast! and see if it gets better
Old 07-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

If you had both MSE and !avast installed, they very likely conflicted. Regardless, yes, please remove !avast as I suggested earlier : )

In regards to the malware that was detected, after we stop your blue screens, I'll point you in the right direction here to ensure your system is clean.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Avast! is now completly removed. Except an application for Chrome called "avast! Online Security". Should I also remove that? :)

Oh and, as mentioned I also have System Protector (which came with Winzip Sytem Utilities Suit". Could it also conflict with MSE?

I ran a deep system scan with System Protector earlier, and found 1 Malware, and 2 others from another scan. So there shouldnt be anymore, but of course, it would be nice to be completly sure :)

So, how long should I wait and see, before I can be "sure" I wont get anymore BSOD?
Like, if I wont get them in a week, should I then state it worked?

Either way, thanks for your help so far :)
Old 07-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My pleasure, good work and thanks for the continued updates and extra information.

Quote:
Avast! is now completly removed. Except an application for Chrome called "avast! Online Security". Should I also remove that? :)
Great work, and yes please.

Quote:
Oh and, as mentioned I also have System Protector (which came with Winzip Sytem Utilities Suit". Could it also conflict with MSE?
It depends, is this System Protector a piece of software that is only used for running scans, or is it on at all times with a protection-mode (runs in the system tray, etc, just like !avast would for example)?

If it's just a program used for scanning for Malware, like Malwareybytes for example (in its free edition at least), and it's only essentially executed when you want to run a scan, it's perfectly fine.

Quote:
So, how long should I wait and see, before I can be "sure" I wont get anymore BSOD?
Like, if I wont get them in a week, should I then state it worked?
One thing to keep in mind is BSOD's unless having one root cause are random. The way BSOD's actually work is there is a problem, and it's reported to the OS (Windows). Windows then goes ahead and halts everything and displays the BSOD to prevent any long-term OS damage / corruption.

One week is definitely stretching it, especially if your BSOD's happened much more frequently. For example, if you were getting BSOD's multiple days daily, let's see you haven't gotten one in 3-4 days, that is a good benchmark to assume your issues are solved.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Avast! is now completly removed from my computer.

It seems it only scans when I ask it to, or when scheduled. So, it would best be described as a malware scanner :)

Normaly I would have got (before re-installing Windows/whole computer) BSOD in a distance of 1-2 days. Sometimes more, sometimes less. After I re-installed the whole system (which was 3 days ago), I have gotten it 4-5 times (I might have accidently deleted a dumpfile, thats why I didnt send it). Its just a lot, if its random :)
But, Ill wait 4 days, and then see what happens.

Oh and one more thing. Just to be sure, MSE works just as good as Avast, right? Not that Im doubting Microsoft, but just dont want any virus to infect the computer, without I get noticed :)
Old 07-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Got it, so just report back when you have any information on the system's behavior since the diagnostic procedures (good or bad).

Quote:
Oh and one more thing. Just to be sure, MSE works just as good as Avast, right? Not that Im doubting Microsoft, but just dont want any virus to infect the computer, without I get noticed :)
MSE is an absolutely fantastic anti virus, yes. It came as quite a surprise because usually free anti viruses aren't the greatest, however, Microsoft really outdid themselves with MSE.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
Registered Member

Im glad it works really good :)

Unfortainly, I just had another BSOD.
So, I guess its time for Driver Verifier?

I have attached the latest BSOD

If it makes a difference, I had just watched a video with VLC, and was on Skype with a friend (not camming)
I might had connected my phone, but Im not sure
Attached Files
File Type: rar Minidump.rar (20.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

The latest attached dump was of the CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION (109) bugcheck again, even with verifier enabled. It's failing to flag a driver, so let's run Memtest now. Run it for no less than ~8 passes:

Memtest86+:

Quote:
Download Memtest86+ here:
Quote:

http://www.memtest.org/

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/28864-FAQ-please-read-before-posting

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

I dont have any empty disc, or USB memory stick at me right now. I can get one, in a couple of days though.

Can I reply in a couple of days, expecting a reply as well?
Not to sound rude or anything :)
Just dont want to be stranded on this

And how long does 8 runs take?
Is it a good idea to run overnight? (probaly is)
Old 07-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Yes, of course. I will be here : )

~8 passes generally takes multiple hours, so yes, overnight is your best bet.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Im back, with a USB drive :)

I have downloaded Auto-installer for USB, and it should be ready.

Since we last spoke, I have gotten 2 BSOD, and they are included in the rar file. I dont know if its any different from the last, but just wanted to include everything :)

My internet is really slow, so I might not check this often.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Minidump.rar (45.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

Not much we can go on with these dumps as there's no difference. Let me know how the Memtest turns out!

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Registered Member

Seems like a lot is against me

The memtest86+ installation for the USB driver, doesnt seem to work.

I told it to re-format it, but its still 3,72 gb.

And I cant figure out, how to boot it from the startup.

Guess I have to burn it down on a disc.

Might take a few days, got to find a disc before I can burn it down.

Can Memtest86 do the same job?

Anyway, thanks for your help so far :)
Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Your BIOS may not support USB booting, so a disc will work just fine.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
Registered Member

Hey again Patrick :)

I burned it down on a disc (RW dvd disc), and pressed f2 when booting up (to get into the BIOS settings, and changing the order of startup, so the cd would boot first), but nothing happens. I might go back to try an USB stick, change the BIOS.
On a sidenote, the BSOD is now showing less and less (like, every third day now). So maybe its just causing randomly now. But Ill try the USB stick either way :)
Old 07-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

As long as your motherboard supports USB booting, that should work just fine.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 AM   #19
Registered Member

I succesly ran Memtest86+ before I slept (but I forgot it was 8 passes), and it succesly ran 6 passes and about 30%, before I restarted it.
It had no errors.

I have not had a BSOD since the 27th of July, so it seems its getting better :)
Old 08-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

How long was 6 passes for your system? I may have you run it again before going to sleep and letting reach at least 8 passes, but for now, that will be fine.

When and if you crash, please attach the latest dump file only (so I'd recommend deleting any current to make it less confusing).

Regards,

Patrick