Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] Random Reboots/BSOD Crashes (Various Error messages)

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Random Reboots/BSOD Crashes (Various Error messages) within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Have been experiencing some fairly frequent crashes and reboots on my pc (Built late last year) recently. Seem to be

Old 01-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Have been experiencing some fairly frequent crashes and reboots on my pc (Built late last year) recently. Seem to be much more common under high load (GAmes etc.)

Windows 8.1 64 bit (Installed since build)

Intel i7 4770k
Gigabyte GTX 660
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Corsair 500w PSU

I have attached the files needed.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.zip (1.15 MB, 29 views)
jm928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

We have two frequent bug checks:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1a)

This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.

BugCheck 1A, {31, ffffe000020c77d0, ffffd00022aae000, ffffc00008db96b8}

- The 1st parameter of the bug check is 31 which indicates the image relocation fix-up table or code stream has been corrupted. This is probably a hardware error.

In addition to 31 as the 1st parameter, we also have 41792 in another dump which indicates a corrupted PTE has been detected.

NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM (24)

This indicates a problem occurred in ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS drives.

One possible cause of this bug check is disk corruption. Corruption in the NTFS file system or bad blocks (sectors) on the hard disk can induce this error. Corrupted SCSI and IDE drivers can also adversely affect the system's ability to read and write to disk, thus causing the error.

Another possible cause is depletion of nonpaged pool memory. If the nonpaged pool memory is completely depleted, this error can stop the system. However, during the indexing process, if the amount of available nonpaged pool memory is very low, another kernel-mode driver requiring nonpaged pool memory can also trigger this error.

2: kd> .exr 0xffffd000389940a8
ExceptionAddress: fffff803ea900363 (nt!RtlDeleteNoSplay+0x000000000000005f)
ExceptionCode: c0000005 (Access violation)

^^ RtlDeleteNoSplay routine deletes the specified node from the splay link tree.

------------------

Run Memtest for NO LESS than ~8 passes (several hours). If it passes, run chkdsk (paste log afterwards) and then Seatools:

Memtest86+:

Download Memtest86+ here:

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

FAQ : please read before posting

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chkdsk:

Chkdsk:
There are various ways to run Chkdsk~

Method 1:

Start > Search bar > Type cmd (right click run as admin to execute Elevated CMD)

Elevated CMD should now be opened, type the following:

chkdsk x: /r

x implies your drive letter, so if your hard drive in question is letter c, it would be:

chkdsk c: /r

Restart system and let chkdsk run.

Method 2:

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

If you'd like to get a log file that contains the chkdsk results, do the following:

Press Windows Key + R and type powershell.exe in the run box

Paste the following command and press enter afterwards:

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

This will output a .txt file on your Desktop containing the results of the chkdsk.

If chkdsk turns out okay, run Seatools -

SeaTools | Seagate

You can run it via Windows or DOS. Do note that the only difference is simply the environment you're running it in. In Windows, if you are having what you believe to be device driver related issues that may cause conflicts or false positive, it may be a wise decision to choose the most minimal testing environment (DOS).

Run all tests EXCEPT: Fix All, Long Generic, and anything Advanced.

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yup- RAM threw up an error on the first pass. Also checked hard drives but they were all ok.
Only frustration- Corsair warranty means I have to send faulty stick back to The Netherlands!
Thanks for the assistance Patrick.
jm928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Glad to hear you've found the issue, and my pleasure.

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote