Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Jiansia's BSOD

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Patrick 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Okay, so previously, the fault lay in my memory. I was multi-tasking too much and the system crashed. I changed the memory and everything was okay. I cannot remember the symptoms though.

This time, instead, the BSOD screen appears. I was running two programs at the time - windows media player and a game. After the crash, I tried to switch the pc on, and the system is still usable. From then on, running the 3d game crashes. Nothing much happens until I do something intensive. If I run a game, it'll BSOD. But I can still watch videos offline, for awhile until sometime it crashes again. If I watch online videos OR play said game, however, the Graphics driver will crash, perpetually (not a BSOD screen - monitor blacks out, screen comes on again with the NVIDIA driver popping up in the Systems Notifications saying "Driver stopped working but has recovered"). This will keep on happening until I stop the video that I was running in the web browser.

I originally thought it was the memory (again). But Windows Memory diagnostics jammed halfway. I was like, this didn't happen the last time.

I tried to run a disk defrag and system cleanup at this point. Defrag got stuck at a certain percentage point. System cleanup wouldn't let me delete off certain checked boxes. Then I thought it could be a corrupted driver or winOS. So I used System Restore. Comp still crashing. I'm thinking now, it's either MOBO/ graphics card issue. I also tried to reinstall graphics driver. Nope, still problematic.

I'm still hoping it's the hardware GPU, so i disabled the graphics card and run on Intel graphics.

But problems with Defrag still occurs, as does System cleanup. Both don't work.

By now, I'm thinking HDD. As when I tried to transfer files, it is choppy. Did a HDD diagnostics but everything passed. So I'm guessing all things are pointing at a MOBO issue? Anyone care to diagnose this for me?

BSOD code:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    18441

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    116
  BCP1:    FFFFFA800428D4E0
  BCP2:    FFFFF88003D57010
  BCP3:    0000000000000000
  BCP4:    0000000000000002
  OS Version:    6_1_7601
  Service Pack:    1_0
  Product:    768_1
Additional items:
OS - win7 Home premium OEM
age of HW - 3 years
age of OS - 3 years

CPU - 2nd-gen Intel i7 @ 2.8 GHz
GPU - Geforce GTX 260
PSU - Chicony 350W

Dell XPS 8100
Attached file:
Jiansias BSOD.zip

Additional things to note in PERFMON:
I disable the graphics card, 4 of the card readers (generic), and intel sound device. Not running anti-virus.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Re: Jiansia's BSOD

Hi,

Okay, a lot to cover here. First, in the perfmon report:

The Workstation service has stopped abnormally.
Application Error. Exit code 1077.
Error 1077 = No attempts to start the service have been made since the last boot.

^^ Service in question is LanmanWorkstation Service. After reading my MCTS cert guide today, I actually came to learn that LanmanWorkstation is a service that creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers using the SMB protocol.

Instead, navigate to Start > Search > type services.msc

Once in the services list, find the 'Workstation' service towards the bottom, and ensure it's set to automatically start up, and make sure it's enabled as well.

Please re-enable the following:

Intel(R) Display Audio
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Disk drive
Moving on, the attached dump is of the VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116) bugcheck.

The basic definition of a 0x116 bugcheck is:

There may be a bug in the video driver or video hardware.
So, let me now explain what VIDEO_TDR_ERROR means. First off, TDR is an acronym for Timeout Detection and Recovery. Timeout Detection and Recovery was introduced in Vista and carried over to Windows 7. Rather than putting exactly what Timeout Detection and Recovery does exactly, I'll just directly quote the MSDN article!
Timeout detection:
The GPU scheduler, which is part of the DirectX graphics kernel subsystem (Dxgkrnl.sys), detects that the GPU is taking more than the permitted amount of time to execute a particular task. The GPU scheduler then tries to preempt this particular task. The preempt operation has a "wait" timeout, which is the actual TDR timeout. This step is thus the timeout detection phase of the process. The default timeout period in Windows Vista and later operating systems is 2 seconds. If the GPU cannot complete or preempt the current task within the TDR timeout period, the operating system diagnoses that the GPU is frozen.
To prevent timeout detection from occurring, hardware vendors should ensure that graphics operations (that is, DMA buffer completion) take no more than 2 seconds in end-user scenarios such as productivity and game play.
Preparation for recovery:
The operating system's GPU scheduler calls the display miniport driver's DxgkDdiResetFromTimeout function to inform the driver that the operating system detected a timeout. The driver must then reinitialize itself and reset the GPU. In addition, the driver must stop accessing memory and should not access hardware. The operating system and the driver collect hardware and other state information that could be useful for post-mortem diagnosis.
Desktop recovery:
The operating system resets the appropriate state of the graphics stack. The video memory manager, which is also part of Dxgkrnl.sys, purges all allocations from video memory. The display miniport driver resets the GPU hardware state. The graphics stack takes the final actions and restores the desktop to the responsive state. As previously mentioned, some legacy DirectX applications might render just black at the end of this recovery, which requires the end user to restart these applications. Well-written DirectX 9Ex and DirectX 10 and later applications that handle Device Remove technology continue to work correctly. An application must release and then recreate its Direct3D device and all of the device's objects. For more information about how DirectX applications recover, see the Windows SDK.
With this being said, if Timeout Detection and Recovery fails to recover the display driver, it will then shoot the 0x116 bugcheck. There are many different things that can cause a 0x116, which I will explain below:

The following hardware issues can cause a TDR event:

1. Unstable overclock (CPU, GPU, etc). Revert all and any overclocks to stock settings.

2. Bad sector in memory resulting in corrupt data being communicated between the GPU and the system (video memory otherwise known as VRAM or physical memory otherwise known as RAM).

GPU testing: Furmark

RAM testing: Memtest86+

3. Corrupt hard drive or Windows install / OS install resulting in corruption to the registry or page file.

HDD diagnostics: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

To reset your page file, follow the instructions below:

a ) Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

-Then click on the Advanced tab,
-then on the Performance Settings Button,
-then on the next Advanced tab,
-then on the Virtual Memory Change button.

b ) In this window, note down the current settings for your pagefile (so you can restore them later on).

-Then click on the "No paging file" radio button, and
- then on the "Set" button. Be sure, if you have multiple hard drives, that you ensure that the paging file is set to 0 on all of them.
-Click OK to exit the dialogs.

c ) Reboot (this will remove the pagefile from your system)

d ) Then go back in following the directions in step a ) and re-enter the settings that you wrote down in step

b ). Follow the steps all the way through (and including) the reboot.

e ) Once you've rebooted this second time, go back in and check to make sure that the settings are as they're supposed to be.

Run System File Checker:

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes)

At the top of the search box, right click on the cmd.exe and select "Run as adminstrator"

In the black window that opens, type "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Let the program run and post back what it says when it's done.

- Overheating of the CPU or GPU and or other components can cause 0x116 bugchecks. Monitor your temperatures and ensure the system is cooled adequately.

- GPU failure. Whether it's heat, power issue (PSU issue), failing VRAM, etc.
The following software issues can cause a TDR event:

-Incompatible drivers of any sort (either GPU, sound, etc)

-Messy / corrupt registry

-Bad direct x files (uninstall, then reinstall DirectX)

-bad system files (System File Checker - was run above)

-Bad driver (some drivers will cause an event due to internal bugs, however these are not nearly as common as many think due to all of the previous things causing the same symptom) - (remove all 3rd party programs and check to be sure drivers aren't loading. Then install only the necessary 3rd party stuff, and ensure it's the latest version).
Regards,

Patrick

#3 ·

Hi,

After reading my MCTS cert guide today, I actually came to learn that LanmanWorkstation is a service that creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers using the SMB protocol. So please ignore my above advice in regards to LanmanWorkstation.

Instead, navigate to Start > Search > type services.msc

Once in the services list, find the 'Workstation' service towards the bottom, and ensure it's set to automatically start up, and make sure it's enabled as well.

Regards,

Patrick

#4 ·

Hey Patrick,
TGIF! I switched out the graphics card and replaced it. And indeed, it was a 116.

-Defrag is working.
-Managed to do Disk Cleanup after clicking on:
Thumbnails -> Clean up System files -> OK
-And transferring of data is smooth now.

Thanks for your time. Weird how the graphics affected system performance. Question: could the paging file be involved?

#5 ·
Hi,

Wonderful to hear everything's running smooth now, and also very happy to hear you found the culprit so fast as 116 troubleshooting can sometimes take a bit due to all of the possibilities!

Question: could the paging file be involved?
As long as 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' is set, there shouldn't be many issues with the pagefile regarding performance.

Regards,

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.