Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Game crashing - StackHash/BEX error - COD4

6K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Patrick 
#1 ·
hey there.

I've recently bought a new mobo + processor and installed Call of Duty4(COD4)

My specs are:
System - OS Win 7 x64
CPU - I5-5670K
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z87X-D3H iZ87
Memory - MB Kingston 8 GB DDR-1333
Graphics Card - GTX 570
Hard Drives - 2 X 2 TB Hitachi
Antivirus - Bitdefender
Browser - Chrome
Just a few seconds ago, i had to manually close my cod4 through the task manager since it was not responding anymore.

Since then i cant open the game anymore.
It is giving me the following error(copy'd from the report)

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: iw3mp.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4859a219
Fault Module Name: StackHash_e98d
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e98d
Additional Information 2: e98dfca8bcf81bc1740adb135579ad53
Additional Information 3: 6eab
Additional Information 4: 6eabdd9e0dc94904be3b39a1c0583635
I have google'd the issue and tried adding cod4 to the DEP exclusion list, but this didnt work.

Is there any1 out here who can help me with this issue ?

If you need more information, tell me asap and i will upload them here!

Kind regards,

Rik

p.s. i can open other games without any issues

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi,

So the problem is my driver... how to fix that?
Ensure you have the latest video card drivers. If you are already on the latest video card drivers, uninstall and install a version or a few versions behind the latest to ensure it's not a latest driver only issue. If you have already experimented with the latest video card driver and many previous versions, please give the beta driver for your card a try. If you've already tried the latest and a few previous versions, you can try a beta version if available for your card.

Regards,

Patrick

#8 ·
Emmm, how do i create those files?

I've been googleing a bit, but i couldnt find the proper way to do it.

I went in my advanced system settings and selected to create a small memory dump (256), but when steam i.e crashes, the log wont come in windows/minidumps

Sorry for bothering you with this!

#9 ·
Hi,

If the system is set to generate dump files but it's not, that could be caused by a number of things. Let's run through this checklist first -

1. Start > type %systemroot% which should show the Windows folder, click on it. Once inside that folder, ensure there is a Minidump folder created. If not, CTRL-SHIFT-N to make a New Folder and name it Minidump.

2. Windows key + Pause key. This should bring up System. Click Advanced System Settings on the left > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Advanced > Ensure there's a check-mark for 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives'.

3. Windows key + Pause key. This should bring up System. Click Advanced System Settings on the left > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings > System Failure > ensure there is a check mark next to 'Write an event to the system log' > Ensure 'Automatically restart' is un-checked.

Ensure Small memory dump is selected and ensure the path is %SystemRoot%\Minidump.

4. Double check that the WERS is ENABLED:

Start > Search > type services.msc > Under the name tab, find Windows Error Reporting Service > If the status of the service is not Started then right click it and select Start. Also ensure that under Startup Type it is set to Automatic rather than Manual. You can do this by right clicking it, selecting properties, and under General selecting startup type to 'Automatic', and then click Apply.

Regards,

Patrick

#11 ·
Hi,

Okay, let's run some hardware diagnostics:

Run Memtest for no less than ~8 passes (several hours):

Memtest86+:

Download Memtest86+ here:

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Which should I download?

You can either download the pre-compiled ISO that you would burn to a CD and then boot from the CD, or you can download the auto-installer for the USB key. What this will do is format your USB drive, make it a bootable device, and then install the necessary files. Both do the same job, it's just up to you which you choose, or which you have available (whether it's CD or USB).

How Memtest works:

Memtest86 writes a series of test patterns to most memory addresses, reads back the data written, and compares it for errors.

The default pass does 9 different tests, varying in access patterns and test data. A tenth test, bit fade, is selectable from the menu. It writes all memory with zeroes, then sleeps for 90 minutes before checking to see if bits have changed (perhaps because of refresh problems). This is repeated with all ones for a total time of 3 hours per pass.

Many chipsets can report RAM speeds and timings via SPD (Serial Presence Detect) or EPP (Enhanced Performance Profiles), and some even support changing the expected memory speed. If the expected memory speed is overclocked, Memtest86 can test that memory performance is error-free with these faster settings.

Some hardware is able to report the "PAT status" (PAT: enabled or PAT: disabled). This is a reference to Intel Performance acceleration technology; there may be BIOS settings which affect this aspect of memory timing.

This information, if available to the program, can be displayed via a menu option.

Any other questions, they can most likely be answered by reading this great guide here:

FAQ : please read before posting

Chkdsk:

Chkdsk:
There are various ways to run Chkdsk~

Method 1:

Start > Search bar > Type cmd (right click run as admin to execute Elevated CMD)

Elevated CMD should now be opened, type the following:

chkdsk x: /r

x implies your drive letter, so if your hard drive in question is letter c, it would be:

chkdsk c: /r

Restart system and let chkdsk run.

Method 2:

Open the "Computer" window
Right-click on the drive in question
Select the "Tools" tab
In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

If you'd like to get a log file that contains the chkdsk results, do the following:

Press Windows Key + R and type powershell.exe in the run box

Paste the following command and press enter afterwards:

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

This will output a .txt file on your Desktop containing the results of the chkdsk.

If chkdsk turns out okay, run Seatools -

SeaTools | Seagate

You can run it via Windows or DOS. Do note that the only difference is simply the environment you're running it in. In Windows, if you are having what you believe to be device driver related issues that may cause conflicts or false positive, it may be a wise decision to choose the most minimal testing environment (DOS).

Run all tests EXCEPT: Fix All, Long Generic, and anything Advanced.

Regards,

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.