Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] BSOD while gaming

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD while gaming within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings. I hope I'm doing this right. First of all, I'd like to thank you for reading this. Second, I

Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings. I hope I'm doing this right.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for reading this. Second, I will say that this problem occurs only when I'm playing a single game: League of Legends. I thought it was a driver problem because -I didn't notice- I had been using Catalyst 8.90 drivers on a Gigabyte HD 7870 GPU, so I updated to 13.9 as recommended by ATI's autodect application. That did not fix my problem.
My BSOD error reads "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" everytiem it happens. I did a Google search, but it came up with a lot of mixed results ranging from faulty hardware to corrupted services. I was hoping I could get a more specific response to my problem, if at all possible.

My specs:
OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (x64) (self-built computer, this OS is it's first: purchased from retailer)
Age of hardware: oldest parts are 3 months, newest is a week.
Age of OS installation: A week. Reinstalled it when I got my new GPU.
CPU: AMD FX-6300 (stock)
Video card: Gigabyte HD 7870 OC version. (Newest hardware, a week old)
Memory:
1x 4gb Kingston HyperX CL9 (1600)
1x 8gb Kingston HyperX CL10 (1600)
I know they're mismatched, but they never gave me any problem. Motherboard sets them at 9-9-9-24 @ 1333 Mhz
Motherboard: M5A97 EVO R2.0
PSU: XFX XXX Edition 750W

Once again, I'm inclined to believe it's either the game's fault or some other software, given that no other game gives me such BSOD. Not even hours of World of Warcraft.

Attached, you will find the documents requested in the guidelines.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Added memory info.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BSOD_reports.zip (673.2 KB, 36 views)
leonmorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

First off, in regards to the perfmon:

Quote:
Symptom:
A service is reported as having an unexpected error code
Cause: One or more services has failed. The service did not stop gracefully, suggesting the service may have crashed or one of its components stopped in an unsupported way.
Details: Service exited with code not equal to 0 or 1077
Resolution: Restart the service
SFC /SCANNOW:
Quote:
What does running SFC /SCANNOW do?
The sfc /scannow command (System File Checker) scans the integrity of all protected Windows 7 system files and replaces incorrect corrupted, changed/modified, or damaged versions with the correct versions if possible.
To run the SFC /SCANNOW command in Windows 7:
- Open an elevated command promt (run cmd as administrator).
- In elevated command prompt, type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes, and press enter. Do note this can take some time to finish.
To see and read only the "SFC" scan results from the CBS.log:
- Open an elevated command promt (run cmd as administrator).
- Copy and paste the following and then press enter:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >C:\sfcdetails.txt
This will create a file called sfcdetails.txt at the root of your system (C:\) containing only the SFC scan results from the CBS.log.
Quote:
Symptom:
The Security Center reports that Windows Update is disabled.
Why? Enable it ASAP. If you don't like getting updates automatically downloaded and installed, you can change it to notify you of new updates, but won't download or install without you initializing it.

Moving on, the attached DMP file is of the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1) bugcheck.

This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.

A driver tried to access an address that is pageable (or that is completely invalid) while the IRQL was too high. This bug check is usually caused by drivers that have used improper addresses.

Empty call stack:

Code:
5: kd> kv
Child-SP          RetAddr           : Args to Child                                                           : Call Site
00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x0
SYMBOL_NAME: NETIO!RtlCopyBufferToMdl+1d

^^ NETIO.sys is the Network I/O Subsystem, and it's likely being faulted by a 3rd party device driver, etc. Usually in network related crashes it's caused by 3rd party device drivers causing corruption or 3rd party antivirus / firewall software causing conflicts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove and replace avast! with Microsoft Security Essentials for temporary troubleshooting purposes:

avast! removal tool - avast! Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for avast! Removal

MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I ran the command "SFC /SCANNOW" as instructed, and it came up clean.
I also enabled Windows Update. I'm not sure why it was disabled, but that would explain why I didn't got any "new updates available" popup.
Lastly, I guess I can stop using Avast altogether. License was about to expire anyway, and if it's causing this great an issue then it's not worth renewing.

I'll come back after testing and/or it BSODs again.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

If you don't mind, I'd appreciate an update good or bad. Just to know if things are solved.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

Patrick,

I have tried the offending game for a while and see no problems. Still, it is a little too early to say from my standpoint, but I'm pretty sure it was Avast! firewall. Strange, if I may say so, given that it never gave me this kind of problem before. But what do I know, these things just fail without caring about the end-user, right?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

You don't have to call it solved just yet, we can wait a few days.

Antivirus suites such as avast!, Norton, etc, are very intricate software. They are constantly working with your Operating System, making calls, scanning, verifying files. They are not perfect tools. 3rd party antivirus suites containing firewalls are known to cause network conflicts as they are fairly brute force in terms of what's allowed in regards to network traffic from a 3rd party source. They often cause conflicts with the NETBIOS ports.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

Patrick,
It happened again. This time around, I was not gaming. The game launcher was indeed up and running, but I was not in an active game.
From what I've read in the new perfmon report, it's probably a faulty network driver? Just assuming things here. Oh, and before I forget to mention, I was also running a bittorrent client (uTorrent) in the background.

If you need more information/miscellaneous reports, I'll gladly comply.
Thanks again.

small edit: I uninstalled AI Suite II way before the BSOD started. Just thought you'd like to know that as well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Report.zip (713.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

It's a *D1 again faulting NETIO.sys. We have a network conflict here somewhere. I meant PC Probe utility, not Suite. Uninstall any and all Asus software.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your network drivers?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 09-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

Patrick,

Yes, I will get right on reinstalling the driver.
I would just like to inform you that I tried running the driver verifier tool (configured as the thread) to see if I could get any more info out of it, but my computer wouldn't even show me the desktop before it crashed, sucessfully nullifying any attempts at "verifying" any driver.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Was it generating any dumps with verifier enabled?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

This was the only DMP file inside the /minidump folder post-crash.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 093013-25864-01.zip (30.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Unfortunately nothing, not even verifier enabled... so try uninstalling and reinstalling the network drivers.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 09-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

Network drivers were reinstalled. I skipped the Asus installation disk's drivers and instead downloaded the newest version from the Realtek website. I have yet to crash to any "internet-intensive" applications such as bittorrent, but we'll see. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
downloaded the newest version from the Realtek website
Good work, keep me updated.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
Registered Member

It has been 24 hours with Bittorrent running in the background. Been gaming for the last 3 hours (while bittorrent is still running) with 0 problems.

I will just say, though, that it wasn't the game's fault as the title suggested. I was led to believe it *was* the game's fault given that Windows would BSOD more often while gaming.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

Glad to hear, my pleasure. I'll mark this as solved. If at any point you continue to have issues, post back and I'll unmark it and assist you ASAP.

Regards,

Patrick