Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs

[SOLVED] BSOD when playing games

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] BSOD when playing games within the BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OS - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 Original OS installed on system - Windows 7 Home Premium OS -

Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1
x64
Original OS installed on system - Windows 7 Home Premium
OS - Full Retail Version
Laptop age - 4/5 Years
I formatted by Laptop some months ago to clean it up like I always do.
CPU - Intel Core2 Duo P8700, 2,53GHz
Video Card - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650(Updated Driver)

Its a cleaned Laptop, I had a heating problem on the past but then I had a professional totally clean it up and apply a new Thermal Paste to it and it worked like a charm, I still use a cooler :D, I don't fill my PC up and I stay with it pretty clean on pograms and such, not a heating problem.

The last BSOD happened playing Crossfire(Europe) today, I never had a BSOD playing it and then it happened at random, it isn't the only game I get a BSOD, also happened to Garrys Mod some days ago, I have a crashdump of the BSOD(from Crossfire) but I don't know how to upload it because it says I don't have permission.. heres the rest, please help! ahah

ALSO sometimes isn't the BSOD that appears, the screen just goes into colored lines across the screen and freezed with the sound looping but that only happened once when I was playing Garrys Mod
Attached Files
File Type: rar Windows7_Vista_jcgriff2.rar (827.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: rar PERFMON.rar (85.5 KB, 27 views)
LazP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

EDIT: I got a screenshot of BlueScreenView on the game "Crossfire" minidump and there it is :D
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueScreenView_CrossfireCrash.png
Views:	90
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	127300  
Old 07-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi,

In regards to the perfmon:

Quote:
The device driver for Base System Device has not been installed. This device will not be available until the correct device driver is installed.
This is usually related to card readers found under the 'Chipset' label on driver manufacturer pages.

Also, there are no dumps located in your jcgriff output folder. Can you please navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\Minidump and zip up and attach any and all dump files?

Regards,

Patrick
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB View Post
Also, there are no dumps located in your jcgriff output folder. Can you please navigate to %systemroot%\Windows\Minidump and zip up and attach any and all dump files?
As I said, it says i don't have permission to zip it, also I moved it to the desktop before to see if I would get permission doing it, thats why it didn't show up, I only have 1 dump and its from the game "crossfire" I posted a Screenshot of BlueScreenView, if you can tell me how to gain permission to zip the dump it self please say :D
Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

You said you tried moving the DMP's to the Desktop and it still wouldn't let you?

Give this a read - Windows 7 Access Denied: Permission & Ownership

If that doesn't help you, you can force taking ownership - Take Ownership Shortcut - Windows 7 Help Forums

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Give this a read - Windows 7 Access Denied: Permission & Ownership

If that doesn't help you, you can force taking ownership - Take Ownership Shortcut - Windows 7 Help Forums
Still can't and I also forced ownership and still says access denied on rar..
Old 07-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

You downloaded the take ownership zip, installed the registry key and it still won't let you when right clicking and taking ownership of the Minidump folder / files?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
You downloaded the take ownership zip, installed the registry key and it still won't let you when right clicking and taking ownership of the Minidump folder / files?
Yep, did it on both folder and file and still doesn't let me. Tried ziping it in the minidump folder and also on the desktop and I can't both ways.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Start > type msconfig into the search bar, hit enter > Tools > Change UAC Settings, click launch > Lower the bar all the way to "Never Notify", restart, try again.

It's also possible permissions have messed up, which you can then try this:
Quote: Go to an elevated command prompt, in other words, run CMD as admin.

navigate to c:\ windows\minidump
In other words,
C:
cd \windows\minidump

type followiing:
TakeOwn /F . /R
and hit enter. Please notice the "." which is essential.

Now type following:
ICACLS . /GRANT:R KARL:(F) /T

NOTE: SUBSTITUTE THE CORRECT USER FOR "KARL".
To determine the current people with persmissions:
ICACLS .

Old 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Start > type msconfig into the search bar, hit enter > Tools > Change UAC Settings, click launch > Lower the bar all the way to "Never Notify", restart, try again.

It's also possible permissions have messed up, which you can then try this:
Quote: Go to an elevated command prompt, in other words, run CMD as admin.

navigate to c:\ windows\minidump
In other words,
C:
cd \windows\minidump

type followiing:
TakeOwn /F . /R

Now type following:
ICACLS . /GRANT:R KARL:(F) /T

NOTE: SUBSTITUTE THE CORRECT USER FOR "KARL".
To determine the current people with persmissions:
ICACLS .

Done :D Thank you, heres the dump
Attached Files
File Type: rar 072913-24242-01.dmp.rar (22.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

The attached DMP file is of the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1e) bugcheck.

This error typically indicates low disk space, a bug in a device driver or the system BIOS.

In your loaded drivers list, dtsoftbus01.sys is listed which is the Daemon Tools driver. Daemon Tools is a very popular cause of BSOD's in 7/8 based systems. Please uninstall Daemon Tools. Alternative imaging programs are: MagicISO, Power ISO, etc.

If the above does not help, I am going to recommend temporarily removing !avast for troubleshooting purposes and replacing with Microsoft Security Essentials:

!avast removal tool - avast! Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for avast! Removal

MSE - Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

If removing !avast and replacing with MSE does not help, run Driver Verifier to see if we can catch a device driver:

Driver Verifier:
Quote:
What is Driver Verifier?
Driver Verifier is included in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.
Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver by flagging it and causing your system to BSOD.
Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
How to enable Driver Verifier:
Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -
1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7)
- Concurrentcy Stress Test (Windows 8)
- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8. Restart.
Important information regarding Driver Verifier:
- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.
- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.
If this happens, do not panic, do the following:
- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.
- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.
- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:
- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.
- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
- Restart and boot into normal Windows.
How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?
It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 36-48 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.
My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?
They will be located in C:\Windows\Minidump
Any other questions can most likely be answered by this article:
Using Driver Verifier to identify issues with Windows drivers for advanced users
Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Removed Deamon Tools, removed avast and installed MSE, I think I still got some BSODs without avast in the past.. but I will stay with MSE now.

Also, if I enable the Driver Verifier and enter the windows normally and do what I always do(gaming, skype, etc) it isn't a problem right? if he gets a problem my System auto BSODs and then I can send the dump here right?

EDIT: Also I have 363GB of free space so the low space can't be the case.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Great work.

Quote:
Also, if I enable the Driver Verifier and enter the windows normally and do what I always do(gaming, skype, etc) it isn't a problem right? if he gets a problem my System auto BSODs and then I can send the dump here right?
That is correct. : )

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Registered Member

I will try doing what I always do normally without enabling Driver Verifier yet, if I get a BSOD I will send it here and then I will enable Driver Verifier and send any BSODs I get in the next 48Hours (: :D
Old 07-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Registered Member

Edit: Today my PC froze playing the game and I had to force it to restart, I didn't get a BSOD but he just froze with the sound looping, I will be turning on the Driver Verifier, any problems I will send them here, for some reason sometimes the BSOD doesn't run till the end or maybe the PC will just freeze and doesn't let me get a Dump of the crash, so I apologize if I can't get you the dumps :D
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for the update, I will be waiting.

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
Registered Member

Today my PC was reaching 100% CPU Usage(when it was droping my Skype Connection) for some reason by watching Youtube Videos(never happened, maybe because of the driver verifier) and then my screen went total Black, like it was turned off but it was still running, I had to force restart it, didn't show me no BSOD and I was just using Skype and Google Chrome(on Facebook and Youtube) I also noticed that my connection to skype was getting cut off sometimes, like the internet was having problems and my skype was refreshing the status and my calls were getting dropped, the youtube videos I would hear sometimes static and like my PC was overheating, then I checked the CPU and it was at 100% but not showing the cause of it.. when I clicked to see all processes it went all black(not because I clicked it, it was at random)

My laptop doesn't overheat as I know off. Also the static sound on youtube videos started to happen when I enabled the Driver Verifier, also I notice some lack of FPS on the game(which I didn't have a BSOD yet, maybe the lack of FPS is because of the driver verifier also) and the static sound Isn't just for youtube videos, anything that kinda lags(with sound) gives me the static sound for some secs at random lag spikes of it, this started happening after enabling the driver verifier(is this all normal?)
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #18
Registered Member

EDIT: my CPU now reaches easily 100% not doing much stuff..
Old 07-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,

The system running slower than usual is normal for verifier. The 100% processes is not. If you CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and check the Processes tab, and then click the drop down on CPU, what's taking the most?

Regards,

Patrick
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
Registered Member

happens at random times now... and Skype, Google Chrome and such are just taking like 35(MAX and I'm already exagerating a little) at total, theres nothing taking more ... the System Idle Process(goes to -60/70 sometimes) is kinda low, and when it goes to 100% I see because my skype connection cuts up..